I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

This is Bucho's wife

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
TTR-Erin

This is Bucho's wife

Post by TTR-Erin »

Hi all! I am Bucho's wife. I'd like to one day be able to hang with the big boys but as I've only recently passed my learner's test and ride a street legal (thanks honey) TTR-125, it will be a while. My bike now goes 55-60 max which means there's a lot of places I cannot go safely.
I am currently out of a job - (anyone know anyone who's hiring?) so Bucho and I have made some fun rides up here in the water shed. I'm not super comfortable with all the switchbacks but I'll get there. I promised him I'd go out for my license before the summer is over. Does anyone know a good place to practice for that test? It looks complicated and I want to practice before I jump in. And, no, I'm not taking that class again, I had a bad experience last time. :boohoo:
I'd rather just practice on my own. Let me know if you think of a place...
Any other ladies out there in the area who are slow like me? Maybe we can ride together as long as Papa Bucho will stay at home with 7 month old Baby Bucho!!!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: This is Bucho's wife

Post by Rut Row »

TTR-Erin wrote:Any other ladies out there in the area who are slow like me? Maybe we can ride together as long as Papa Bucho will stay at home with 7 month old Baby Bucho!!!
ahem - you haven;t seen Me 'n Scott ride... :harhar: we have redefined slow! :poser:

Welcome to the fold! Heck, we'd be happy to take you out and leave Bucho home baby sitting!!!! :deal:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:
TTR-Erin wrote:

Welcome to the fold! Heck, we'd be happy to take you out and leave Bucho home baby sitting!!!! :deal:
:harhar:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

First off, major congratulations for getting into a wonderful activity. :loveit: It's really rewarding, IMHO.

My wife rides also, and will be attending the Green Ridge DAMN event, but to hike. Maybe I can convince her to throw her bike on the trailer and do a ride with you. She's taught several people to ride, and I expect that she'd be able to give you some good feedback.

If you're looking to improve your riding, there is nothing that replaces seat time. :ride:

Also, I'm instructor with Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic (shameless commercial plug: http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/), so if you'd like, I'd be happy to give you some advice, especially if you have a particular area in which you are having trouble.

You did mention having discomfort with switchbacks. Sharp turns require that you turn your head and look pretty far ahead of where you're going -- look through the turn at where you want to go. I'd bet that you're looking at the road too close in front of you. That's a common issue, even with riders that have lots of miles. The trouble with this is that it short-changes you on time, and makes things feel like they're happening too fast. Looking further ahead gives you more time to look at and identify anything on the road, to plan your line, to be comfortable. Don't worry about the road - it'll take care of itself. :dry:

Just remember that learning new skills is uncomfortable, and doing different things than you usually do will feel weird. You need to be OK with that slight, *temporary* discomfort in order to step up to a more confident, higher level of skill. The funny thing is that this advice applies to everyone, from new riders doing the first few miles ever on a bike, all the way up to crazy-talented racers that are fine-tuning their style.
TTR-Erin

Post by TTR-Erin »

Thanks for that advice... as I'm riding, I'm telling myself that same thing in my head. It's a matter of making my body do it.
Phil, my husband (Bucho) will be at the Greenridge ride but since we have a baby and two dogs, someone has to stay home. Also, I've had two bad wrecks up there and think the spot is a jinx for me. (I drove our ATV off a 50 foot cliff and I wrecked an old TTR-125 and got hurt pretty bad)
Since, as I mentioned, I am currently unemployed, we may try to leave Caleb, the baby with a sitter and go up there during the week when it's quiet. I hate to feel rushed. I'd love to meet your wife though.
Any thoughts on where to practice for the test?
Damifudo

Post by Damifudo »

I am in the same boat. I have a learners and just learning to ride. I practice in a big parking lot and work on doing tight turns in area of two parking spots. I practice alot of figure 8s in the parking lots and then I practice riding a straight line along the marked parking spots. I ride around the neighborhood and get use to using my blinkers. If I could just remember to turn them off. :roll: I think riding slow figure eights will help you more than anything. I am taking that course on May 1st so we will see what happens.

I am going to Greenridge so by the end of the weekend I will be known as that dam slow guy on the Blue dual sport. Yea that guy. :poser:
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

TTR-Erin wrote: Any other ladies out there in the area who are slow like me? Maybe we can ride together as long as Papa Bucho will stay at home with 7 month old Baby Bucho!!!
Ladies nothing. One doesn't need to be a lady to be slow. :ride:

Welcome, and best of luck in your learning. The old adage "Motorcycling takes a minute to learn, and a lifetime to master." is absolute truth. I have been on and off of motorbikes for almost 20 years, and there are still many things I'm not good at or confident about. Always learning, right? We learn by watching and doing. Even Sunday, Phil taught me (without knowing) that I use my brakes too long into turns. I leaned this by watching his brake light, because he is able to get into turns faster than I, and I typically rely on getting out of them faster to compensate for my slow entry. Something new. By the end of our ride, I was getting into them better than I was when we started. Little steps, no?

Be safe and well, and enjoy motorcycling. There's not much else to life, really. :ride: :ride:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Teethgrinder wrote:
TTR-Erin wrote: Be safe and well, and enjoy motorcycling. There's not much else to life, really. :ride: :ride:
That says it all for many of us in this group. To quote restukey quoting Steve McQueen, "riding is living, everything else is waiting." Sad as it may be, that sums things up for me quite well.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Erin, sounds like you might want to invest in some protective gear!

For street riding, I'd say to find parking lots -- big shopping malls, unused church lots (Saturdays, weekdays) and go practice. The key to practice is to have a specific goal in mind, and to execute the practice well. Practice alone does not make perfect. Bad practice leads to bad habits. Perfect practice makes perfect. Even simple practicing simple little actions so they become completely second nature, executable without conscious thought, is valuable at your early stages. Stuff like the steps for starting the bike: key in, ignition on, trans in neutral, CLUTCH IN, FRONT BRAKE ON, hit the shiny red button. People often get in a hurry and skip over the two most critical steps and drop their bike off the kick stand.

Another area that new riders have trouble with is how much pressure to use on the brakes, and worrying about a skid. Practicing skidding the rear wheel and releasing pressure so the wheel turns is incredibly valuable -- if you're presented with a 'panic' situation and you need to stop vigorously, your brain will have experience with dozens of skids and know how to react safely.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Just giving a pics of my lovely wife out riding. These were on Hamburg rd and the paved part of Fishing Creek rd. She is still doing great, slowly getting a little faster. She'll be ready for the big bore and carb kit in no time!

Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200