I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Street legal-ing an "off-road" moto in state of MD

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Street legal-ing an "off-road" moto in state of MD

Post by juddspaintballs »

beejaytee did the SD thing on a bike he had. I'm sure he could talk you through that process.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

No its not impossible in the state of MD. It is however kind of a pain. I did a street legal TTR-125L for my wife years ago. You have to jump through some extra hoops, like going to the Glen Burnie MVA and getting a special inspection. This is the biggest pain. There is like one employee who actually knows what you are talking about. Pretty much everyone else will not understand what you are doing and tell you "you can't make a dirtbike street legal in MD".
You have to be very polite but persistent and eventually you will find that guy who can actually help you. The other annoying part is that they are NOT going to cut you any breaks for the inspection.

Enough of a pain, when a few years later I wanted a dualsported two stroke bike. I would have liked a Jap bike bc I had always been a Jap bike guy, but I went KTM and now Beta just because they have open titles are a much easier to plate in MD.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

Bucho wrote:No its not impossible in the state of MD. It is however kind of a pain. I did a street legal TTR-125L for my wife years ago. You have to jump through some extra hoops, like going to the Glen Burnie MVA and getting a special inspection. This is the biggest pain. There is like one employee who actually knows what you are talking about. Pretty much everyone else will not understand what you are doing and tell you "you can't make a dirtbike street legal in MD".
You have to be very polite but persistent and eventually you will find that guy who can actually help you. The other annoying part is that they are NOT going to cut you any breaks for the inspection.

Enough of a pain, when a few years later I wanted a dualsported two stroke bike. I would have liked a Jap bike bc I had always been a Jap bike guy, but I went KTM and now Beta just because they have open titles are a much easier to plate in MD.

Thanks! I seem to have heard this before. Like you have to go to MVA and have an appointment for the specialty inspection, with the specialty person.
Question is does it have to be Glen Burnie--I hate that joint!!! If I were willing to trailer it out to another county full service MVA can they do it?
Yes--I have done this before. Its nice to be looked upon as a human.

And lets say you successfully pass the MVA specialty inspection. Does this mean your title becomes "street legal" or they just allow you to register and tag it?
'19 350 EXC-F
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I honestly cant remember where I found all this info ten years ago when I did my wife's TTR.

Assuming nothing has changed, YES you do have to go to Glen Burnie. I thought the Montgomery County MVA was bad, but Glen Burnie was worse.

If you go through the whole ordeal and pass. Then they will give you a new MD title that doesn't have the "for off highway use only" thing stamped across it.

Or sell your WR450 and buy an equivalent Euro bike. The Beta 390 is supposed to be really nice!

Eitherway, good luck w/ it. Let us know if you can be of more help.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
kevvyd
DAMN Expert

Post by kevvyd »

Bucho wrote:I honestly cant remember where I found all this info ten years ago when I did my wife's TTR.

Assuming nothing has changed, YES you do have to go to Glen Burnie. I thought the Montgomery County MVA was bad, but Glen Burnie was worse.

If you go through the whole ordeal and pass. Then they will give you a new MD title that doesn't have the "for off highway use only" thing stamped across it.

Or sell your WR450 and buy an equivalent Euro bike. The Beta 390 is supposed to be really nice!

Eitherway, good luck w/ it. Let us know if you can be of more help.

Excellent, Thank you very much. I think I now know what I need to know.
'19 350 EXC-F
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

PM sent.
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

Doesn't sound like you're going the "out of state" route, but it might be worth mentioning for others that in MD, unless you have a college or military excuse, you're required to register all your vehicle's in MD within 30 days (or maybe 60? Can't remember...) of becoming a resident.
Something to be aware of, odds are good it'd never come up.

However if your a bad luck type dude, tickets and tow trucks and impound lots could be in your future...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

Like Mr paintballs said I played my 2011 crf450r in South Dakota without issue. It is very easy and much cheaper than going through MD. Cost about $85 in fees. If you or anyone wants details just PM me.

When it comes to the legality there are two things to consider. Most of the time you need to change a vehicle to the current state because your home state won't allow you to have an out of state address on your registration. SD allows you to do this because of how they classify the title. Therefore it is legally registered to a MD address with an SD title. Perfectly legal.

The second is a little less straight forward. In reality you can say the bike travels with you as you travel and in order to make it easy, you register it in SD to avoid having to reregister the bike every time you move.
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

once you have a street legal title from another state, it is simple to reregister in MD.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

beejaytee wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:10 pm Like Mr paintballs said I played my 2011 crf450r in South Dakota without issue. It is very easy and much cheaper than going through MD. Cost about $85 in fees. If you or anyone wants details just PM me.

When it comes to the legality there are two things to consider. Most of the time you need to change a vehicle to the current state because your home state won't allow you to have an out of state address on your registration. SD allows you to do this because of how they classify the title. Therefore it is legally registered to a MD address with an SD title. Perfectly legal.

The second is a little less straight forward. In reality you can say the bike travels with you as you travel and in order to make it easy, you register it in SD to avoid having to reregister the bike every time you move.
I get that you can legally plate your bike in SD and that it's cheaper and easier etc.
My point was that if you're living in MD with it, you are required to title it here, and register it here if you wish to operate it on the street.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not preaching, I just posted because I didn't want guys to be misled and think they would never have a problem with it. Catch the wrong cop on the wrong day and you may regret it.
:cheers: