I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Best Dual Sport GPS

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Glenduro
DAMN Expert

Best Dual Sport GPS

Post by Glenduro »

Hey guys!

Im looking for suggestions on a dual sport GPS. Any thoughts?
Glenduro
Been there, Done that , and bought the replacement parts
Honda CRF450X
Honda XR650L
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Best Dual Sport GPS

Post by juddspaintballs »

I have a Montana with the streets loaded into it. It works OK. Waterproof, rugged, works without bike power for many hours if you want it to. With street maps and the mount, it's in Zumo price range. The Zumo is bluetooth, creates routes from tracks, and is easier to use for road navigation. I'll buy a Zumo next time.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I dunno but there's a guy in sterling with a nuvi 500 for what seems to be a pretty good price:
http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f27/[ ... ble-86779/
Glenduro
DAMN Expert

Post by Glenduro »

Thanks for the heads up on the nuvi. Im currently looking at the Montana but its a good chunk of change. The real reason I would like a new GPS is to support .gpx files so I can get turn by turn directions when running through forest roads and mountain trails. My current GPS does not support uploading .gpx files. Does the Montana have turn by turn and does the zumo support .gpx functionality with turn by turn?

What does the Montana lack that the zumo has? and what would I lose by going with zumo and not Montana?

Thanks for your responses!
Glenduro
Honda CRF450X
Honda XR650L
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

There are various versions of each, obviously, but if someone sends me a GPX file, I have to use the computer to create a route from it before I upload it to the GPS or I won't get turn-by-turn directions from the tracks or waypoints. The Zumo will create a route from tracks or waypoints.

The Zumo has a music player and is bluetooth capable, which means you can get something like a SMH-10 for your helmet and tie your GPS and phone into it all easily. That means, no wires from your helmet to the headset for turn-by-turn directions and you can make and receive calls from the helmet too.

The Montana will last longer on battery power. If you don't want to hardwire your GPS to your bike, the Montana wins in that case.

The Zumo just works better on the road than the Montana. It has a bigger screen, more intuitive routing software, and better features for road riding like way more waypoints able to be used and easier to use screen keyboard with gloves (the Montana screen is far too small to type on with gloves effectively while riding).

Like I said, with road maps loaded on a Montana, it's nearly the same price as a Zumo. I'd do the Zumo next time around.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Glenduro
DAMN Expert

Post by Glenduro »

Thanks again for the breakdown Jed. I spent an hour on the phone with Harmon today discussing the differences between the two and there capabilities. I'm almost convinced just trying my iPhone as my gps with some aftermarket apps before spending the 6-800 on a new gps. The phone support didn't seem really confident that the Zuni would handle off-road routes very well and with the effort of the Montana it's equivalent to the hassle of my phone. Hmm, decisions decisions...
Glenduro
Honda CRF450X
Honda XR650L
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

The phone works OK. I use Android phones, so Google Maps works pretty well, but you have to download the area you're going to be in if you're likely to lose signal. I don't know if the Apple version needs tied to internet or you have to download the area you're going to be in to make it work. My S7 is waterproof, so it doesn't need a fancy case to work on the bike. iPhones do need a fancy case to withstand rain. Smart phones, even cased, are way more fragile than a purpose built GPS. A dedicated GPS seems to navigate better on the forest roads, in my experience. A Garmin with lifetime maps (Zumos) will work for you forever until it falls apart. People usually upgrade phones every 2 years or less, so more cases and mounts required over your riding lifetime.

I know it's a tough choice, but a Zumo is very nice to use. My good riding buddy uses one and I have the Montana...his just works better all around and his is fairly old. You don't have to go for a new model. Get a 550 or 660 or such used and save a ton of money...
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Glenduro
DAMN Expert

Post by Glenduro »

Good advice on the short comings of the phone GPS. I haven't thought much about the cost of the mounting hardware and phone protection required to support that choice over the long haul. I do like my current Nuvi for my car so I'm sure I would like the zumo, I'll start looking around for a good price on last years model.

Glenn
Glenduro
Honda CRF450X
Honda XR650L
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Glenduro wrote:Hey guys!

Skinny-J
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Longboardr
DAMN Expert

Post by Longboardr »

Wingfixer wrote:
Glenduro wrote:Hey guys!

Skinny-J
He's the best GPS I've had the pleasure of following in like, ever :thumbup: