I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Guy - Leesburg, VA

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
BoltAction
DAMN n00b

Re: New Guy - Leesburg, VA

Post by BoltAction »

A 250 all the way to Alaska? Did anything break? Did he do a trip report?

Thanks for the input again, guys. That settles the issue that I will not be starting on a Honda XR650L. Sounds like something in the 250cc range would not only be appropriate for learning, but would also allow me to travel on it as well (once I'm ready for that)?

I think I am definitely going for a 4-stroke. Although there is a weight benefit and more power with a 2-stroke, I think the power curve on a 4-stroke is going to be more comfortable for me to start with. A 4-stroke might be more expensive/complicated to service, but from what I have read, they don't need to be rebuilt as often, yes? It also means I don't have to worry about gas/oil mixing.

So does that mean my choices boil down to a used Yamaha WR250R, Honda CRF250L, and Kawasaki KLX250? Is there anything else I should consider? Thank you!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

BoltAction wrote:A 250 all the way to Alaska? Did anything break? Did he do a trip report?
Yup, he did

How I spent my summer vacation, or 6000 miles on a WR250R
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

I vote 125 2 stroke as a learner. They can be had for $1500. 2 strokes are more water friendly. You'll appreciate that when you drown it. 250 4 strokes have no torque and weigh more. Torque is very important off road.
BoltAction
DAMN n00b

Post by BoltAction »

The 125 would be a dirt-only bike, correct? Not street legal? Like a Yamaha TTR 125? Are used ones good, or more likely to be worn out?
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

2strokes are usually off road only. KTM would be the exception. 2 strokes are very simple machines. It's easy to tell if its in good shape. If its going in the road, I vote DRZ400. It's the AK47 of dirt bikes. I have 24000miles on mine.
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

BoltAction wrote:Hey, I also see you are a Honda XR650L owner. A buddy of mine who rides says that is a bike that I might ultimately want to consider once I get more experience and can handle a bigger bike (he's also trying to talk me into buying a KTM, but I think his idea of a reasonable budget varies significantly from mine). What do you think of the Honda?
I agree with your buddy that its probably not your best first choice. That said, I love the bike, it fits the bill for what I was looking for, and I did buy it with a potential TAT trip in mind some day. I'm mostly a "value" or "bang for the buck" kind of guy. I like the simple motor for its longevity and easy maintenance, the bike design hasn't changed for 20 years meaning tons of reasonable parts and endless farkles, the belief that its the most dirt oriented/capable of its immediate competition, the Honda name, that its the tallest of its competition (I'm tall)...etc. Don't get me wrong, it has its flaws (some correctable, some not so much), and the DR650 and KLR650 owners may take issue with my points, but its the bike I wanted.
Get something you love that also makes sense for what you wanna do.
BoltAction
DAMN n00b

Post by BoltAction »

The big Honda is definitely tempting--especially given the number of used ones out there at good prices, but I think just too much bike for me to learn on. It sounds like a used Yamaha WR250R or a Honda CRF250L are the top two contenders, with the Suzuki DR-Z400S in third (I hear it's top-heavy, which would be harder for me to learn on than the first two) unless there is something else out there under/around 300 lbs that I have just overlooked (maybe if a really good deal comes around on a used KTM, but I'm a little skittish about the required maintenance on a KTM).

The XR650L is definitely a tried & true bike from what I have read, and loves to win Baja every year. And as for motors it sounds like Honda makes a rock solid, reliable product.

Does Honda make a dual sport in the 400cc range? I don't see one on their website.
stretchride
DAMN Expert

Post by stretchride »

Nope. Used to be a XR400 and I've seen them plated but I dont know if they ever came legal from the factory that way. I've also seen newer CRF450X's with tags, really cool, but I wouldnt guess that'd be easy to do in VA. I think you're lookin at the right bikes (though a KTM 350 EXC would be sweeeet, but spendy). Beta makes dualsports in the 3xx and 4xx range, I've always wondered about them.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

BoltAction wrote:The 125 would be a dirt-only bike, correct? Not street legal? Like a Yamaha TTR 125? Are used ones good, or more likely to be worn out?
well, you might be able to have a street legal one but I'd stick with a 250 4-stroke to get started. Then if you want a killer woods racer get a 2-smoke.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BoltAction
DAMN n00b

Post by BoltAction »

Ok, so a 250cc it is. Now I just have to figure out which one, and then figure out all the other gear, etc. I need to get. Have you seen how many different riding boots are on the market?