I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Ellicott City Motor Sports...opinions please

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Boneyard
DAMN n00b

Ellicott City Motor Sports...opinions please

Post by Boneyard »

I wanted to see how people feel about Ellicott City Motorsports for parts & service.

I would especially like to know if they are fair when it comes to inspecting an enduro bike as I need to get mine inspected and tagged.

Thank you for your help!
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: Ellicott City Motor Sports...opinions please

Post by Marylander »

If it was me I would go to a gas station for the inspection. It seems to me that gas stations are less particular since they're not going to be able to service things that fail.
Boneyard
DAMN n00b

Post by Boneyard »

Marylander wrote:If it was me I would go to a gas station for the inspection. It seems to me that gas stations are less particular since they're not going to be able to service things that fail.
I thought about that but started to think that they would understand the whole registered for Enduro thing and be a little more lenient. However, I will probably check out a local station or garage before deciding.

Thank you for your reply.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

+1 on using a local gas station. I have no first hand experience with Ellicott MS but the local station I use didn't even make me take the WR off the carrier. Plus the enduro computer had a re-settable odometer which was a big no-no but after I chatted them up about all I was going to do with the bike was ride it on dirt roads between trails, they were totally cool about it and put down 3 miles instead of the zero it was showing :thumbup:

PM me if you want the name of the place, its not real close to you but could be a fall back for you...

SJ
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I put my ktm through the inspection at Ellicott City. It did go through, but it took me three trips and a lot of heartache.

The inspection was fair, and while the bike did legitimately pass inspection, some things were questionable (about my bike). And honestly, I thought some things he required weren't required by law. But, it got through it.

I don't fault the guy; if they pass something that shouldn't, they lose their license which is a big revenue stream, but it was a bit if a pain in the ass for a woods bike.

Patrick

[Edit: fixed "pad" to "pass" as the typo kept annoying me.]
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville »

The way I was raised, "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything". Having said that. I would recommend calling Heyser Cycle Center (410) 792-7200, talk to the guys in service, tell them what your bike has on it and what you want. I have found them easy to work with. I also think a gas station is a good way to go, but I am pretty sure you need a special license to do motorcycle inspections (I think).
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.
1AHBE
DAMN n00b

Post by 1AHBE »

Somewhat of a hijack :bandit:
I'm looking for a list of things I need to do to my bike. I've read that I need a neutral indicator light, a kickstand kill switch, high AND low beams...a lot seems like :bull:

Is it better to call the inspection station first and ask what I need? Maybe tell them I just want a plate to ride in some enduros and hope I get a kewl dude who's trying to keep the dream alive....?
Back on topic, out of three people I know who had bikes serviced by ECMS, 1 thinks they're ok, 1 likes them and 1 hates them.... :shrug:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

1AHBE wrote:Somewhat of a hijack :bandit:
I'm looking for a list of things I need to do to my bike. I've read that I need a neutral indicator light, a kickstand kill switch, high AND low beams...a lot seems like :bull:

Is it better to call the inspection station first and ask what I need? Maybe tell them I just want a plate to ride in some enduros and hope I get a kewl dude who's trying to keep the dream alive....?
Back on topic, out of three people I know who had bikes serviced by ECMS, 1 thinks they're ok, 1 likes them and 1 hates them.... :shrug:
Here is a copy of an official MD inspection report I happened to keep from a 2009 inspection. I can't say if anything has changed since then but I recall I used this same list when I took the WR in just 2 years ago and everything was still the same. So long as you meet everything on the list I can't see how they can fail you.
(PS. I have the file as a PDF but couldn't figure out how to link a pdf so just PM me if you want it in that version...)

phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

They used the same form last year, as well.

" read that I need a neutral indicator light, a kickstand kill switch, high AND low beams...a lot seems like :bull:"

The first two are not correct. But you do need a kickstand return spring (the rubber band on KTMs is not enough). You do need high and low beams. I actually didn't realize you need to have an indicator for high and low. It would seem to me that the switch being in the "high beam" position would be an indicator, as would the extra light showing down the road.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
1AHBE
DAMN n00b

Post by 1AHBE »

Thx for the info.
I've seen some kits on fleabay for kinda cheap.

A friend told me that Used Cycle Emporium is a good place to get an inspection.