I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

NEW to me TOY!!!

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Stinson
DAMN Expert

Re: NEW to me TOY!!!

Post by Stinson »

Congrats on the bike. How many hrs are on her? I had an 05 525 that I bought new from Ellicott City Motorsports. I got rid of her last year and she had 400hrs and had never been apart. I am sure that it was overdue for valves, but that thing didn't burn a drop of oil, never left me stranded, always started with ease and and just ripped. I loved that bike. Only reason I sold it was because I found a 26hr 06 450 right in Hagerstown....so it was cheaper for me to upgrade to a new bike than rebuild mine.

I still miss the 525, the 450 is great, but I loved the 525. It is an great do it all bike. It can ride the nastiest trails or run down the road if you need too. Mine had over 7300 miles, and 95% of them were off road.

I used Bell Ray filter oil, real sticky and grease on the lip of the filter
Valvoline motorcycle oil from autozone, changed every ride.
Filters only changed every 20-30hrs or so.

Last I heard my bike was still going strong with over 415hrs! Enjoy the new ride!
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

6 days after I got home with the new 525 (with the Lafferty school eating up 2 of them and all day Wed spent at doctors with Gail - 2 root canals and then a steroid shot in her spine ) I headed for the WATR Blue Ridge Trail ride with borrowed bags and rear tank from Ken, all emissions stuff removed, new jets from JD via JTs, Wheels, fender bag and seat from my 200, lowered suspension via X-Bushing and lots of sag in back and cut springs in front, new main tank from JTs, Skid pan from KTM/JTs, Bark Busters from my spares bin, etc., etc. Most of the ordered parts arrived Wed. So after I got home from Gail's doctors I did an all nighter to get the bike ready for a 2 AM Thursday 1 mile first ride on my street - then a 2 hour nap and off to Lexington at 5 AM for the ride start Thursday at 9 AM. To say the LEAST I was a TIRED OLD MAN on Thursday :lol2:

But the good news is the bike ran GREAT and I managed not to doze off during the Thursday ride :thumbup:

I spent every stopped moment Thursday and Friday tweaking the levers, pedals, bars, sag, mixture screw, etc. and by Saturday I felt good on the bike and was having a BALL running up and down the ROCKY jeep trail section and exploring a spur trail the Jeepers pointed out while the less experienced guys made some R&R stops on their difficult journey to the top. This Bad Boy may be a handful in the tight stuff - BUT on fire roads and Jeep trails it's AWESOME!

There may, however, be a significant increase in my rear tire expenses as the half worn Desert Dunlop 739 AT was basically a SLICK by the end of the ~350 mile ride (but I did manage to keep the profile rounded by doing the "drop back then charge the corners routine" on the hundreds of nice tight paved mountain twisties :loveit: On the dirt Will kept a brisk pace going so I just stayed with him and was happy :loveit:

I still LOVE my 200 - BUT now I DO see why folks like these BIG Thumpers! And the thing is loafing at 75 MPH! :lol2:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Sounds like a great time.
Now you see why I said you will want that bike for Colorado.
It will tractor up the long climbs without issue.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

glad to see it came together for you Sam! :hi5:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Glad the "Big" bike worked out for you! Not happy that I will have to really whip the DRz to keep you in sight now.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Wingfixer wrote:Glad the "Big" bike worked out for you! Not happy that I will have to really whip the DRz to keep you in sight now.
Easy enough to fix your DRZ issues :amazon:
Nice new KTM 500 should fit you just fine (and they have a kicker for when you drain your battery) :wallbash:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Boom Boom wrote:
Wingfixer wrote:Glad the "Big" bike worked out for you! Not happy that I will have to really whip the DRz to keep you in sight now.
Easy enough to fix your DRZ issues :amazon:
Nice new KTM 500 should fit you just fine (and they have a kicker for when you drain your battery) :wallbash:
YEA and since Dirty Girl has a new JOB now she should be happy to buy it for you :loveit:

Actually I'd highly recommend a 2007 or earlier because they got and inch taller in 2008.
JT has a 2003 IN STOCK!!!
http://www.jtmotorsports.net/2003KTM525 ... 013M533277

You might even be able to work a TRADE???

Believe me - These things will eat DRZs for a pre-Breakfast SNACK :loveit:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike