I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bead Blasting Near Frederick?

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Bead Blasting Near Frederick?

Post by Rut Row »

BigBird wrote:
Kyler wrote:why are you doing that? what happened to the '13 motor? this seems bizarre.
The 2013 motor with E-Start :thumbup: is being installed in my 2007 today :loveit:

The OFG (Old Fat Guy) will have to Kick No More :jack:
so, being the curious type, why didn't you just mod frankenize the 13 and move crap over?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Kyler wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Kyler wrote:why are you doing that? what happened to the '13 motor? this seems bizarre.
The 2013 motor with E-Start :thumbup: is being installed in my 2007 today :loveit:

The OFG (Old Fat Guy) will have to Kick No More :jack:
so, being the curious type, why didn't you just mod frankenize the 13 and move crap over?
It's a LOOOONG story (which is detailed on KTMTALK) but the net is that my 2007 is FINALLY REALLY DIALED IN - which even if you're willing to throw money at the 2013, would take some time (which at my age I don't have :lol2: , effort (I'm VERY lazy) and trial and error, and MORE importantly the 2007 is inherently about an inch lower than the 2013 so even after doing all the struff I've done on the 2007 the 2013 would be about an inch taller (not all us have your 4 foot long leggs) :lol2: OR would have an inch less ground clearance and suspension travel).

Besides my 2007 looks SO SPIFFEY that it looks like it has hardley been ridden! (well maybe just a little?)
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
OTTO
DAMN n00b

Post by OTTO »

You may want to cocider soda blasting in stead of bead blasting an assembled motor. IF you get grit from the bead in the motor, which you will, it will not run long, may not make it through a test ride. to lessen your chance of damage from blasting, using soda (sodium bicarbonate aka: baking soda) will leave a nice smooth finish and if any gets inside at least maybe it will just be ground down to talc and not cause much harm. If you can wash the parts with water the soda dissolves and is washed away, bead dust will not dissolve and anything left behind will be crunchy. I made a home made soda blaster and it has worked well on my KX 100 project bike.

Carb before soda blasting

carb after blasting

Paul
Paul McN.
18 KTM 250 EXC-F
16 Honda Africa Twin
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Thanks - GOOD info!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
OTTO
DAMN n00b

Post by OTTO »

another options is using a mix of soda in water and fine steel wool with some elbow grease and it will make it look real nice. no real chance of high pressure pushing things into your motor,
Paul McN.
18 KTM 250 EXC-F
16 Honda Africa Twin