I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

First time poster here, here’s my "about me" post.

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Deacon51
DAMN n00b

First time poster here, here’s my "about me" post.

Post by Deacon51 »

I was born and raised in rural west Tennessee, and I’m a lifelong motorcyclist, mini-bikes at 4, racing moto-x at 6, Hair Scrambles, enduro’s and street ridding from my late teens to mid-twenties. I took a long break from motorcycle ownership for a few years as I raised kids and served my country in the Navy. I ended up here, in Maryland. After leaving active service in ’04 I got back in to street riding. I now own a 2003 FZ1 and a ’08 FJR for two up riding with the wife. While I love both of my bikes, the dirt often calls my name. The FZ1 is one awesome machine, water crossing, mud and wash board gravel roads are not what it was designed to do. I crave DIRT! Not state maintained gravel roads, but dirt!
So here I am searching the internet and thinking, day dreaming, and working my budget over and over trying to find spare* change the wife won’t miss.

I have decided that I have 3 real options.

First: Sell the FZ1 and buy an “Adventure” bike. I’m thinking a F800GS would be a fun replacement to the FZ1. It’s light weight, peppy, and fun on the street. It would do a lot better on the gravel roads I sometime encounter and enjoy. BUT: Not much of a ‘real off-road’ bike, more of a off-pavement bike. I can see myself having a ton of fun on the F800GS, but is it really going to scratch my itch.

Second: Go with a good used KTM/Husky or maybe a KLR or something more capable off road. An oversized dirt bike with blinkers that could be ridden to the trail head. It may not be fun getting there, but once there, fun is sure to be had. Two main issues with this idea are first and foremost, I have a kid with a CRF230 (at his Grand Parents house in Tennessee) that would have a fit if I went off-road and he wasn’t allowed to follow. Second, would I do it? I don’t personally know any dirt or dual sport riders in the area. I have yet to find a legal trail head in this entire state.

Third: Buy myself a real dirt bike and a trailer. I drive a Ford Raptor, and don’t mind getting it dirty. May be fun to tow the dikes and tents to some places that are open to ORV’s. But, how often would I be able to manage that? I still don’t know any trails in the area to even go to. And when I’m out on my FZ or FJR and see a rutted gravel road, I still can’t explorer it.
I hope that this board will turn out to be a great resource if finding places to responsibly enjoy.
Last edited by Deacon51 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 FZ1 'The Bee'
2008 FJR 'Rainmaker'

So many roads, so little time.
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Re: First time poster here, here’s my "about me" post.

Post by Junior »

:welcome: There are a few of us around Pasadena. Get yourself a mid size 450 etc. with tags and keep an eye on the board. Its alittle slow right now, but things will pick up soon. We do a good mix of riding. :roost:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

+1 on what JR said.
That would allow you to join in on dual sport rides and still ride off road with your son.
If you know getting out of the house without your son will be hell (if I was your kid and you went riding without me there would be hell to pay) then a non plated bike will cover all your needs.
Expect to trailer your bikes to any decent riding areas.
I live in central Pa and still trailer 2 hours to most of my best riding areas.
Welcome to the DAMN crew :thumbup:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

Welcome. There are no ORV's in Marysland anymore. Legal riding is 2hrs away minimum. So you either get a street bike that's no fun to ride when you get there, or you trailer your street legal dirtbike there, or you have a real sore ass at the end of the day.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Go with option 3. Just get a dirtbike that is or can be made street legal. Then you can still ride some dirtroads near your house and take part in some of the fun organized dualsport events or enduros.

It sucks, but just get used to hauling your dirtbike far away to ride.

Welcome, we have a Winter Get-Together coming up. Feel free to show up, we don't have any sort of official membership around here.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

and watch for the next DAMN jersey order. That's as close to a membership thing going.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Deacon51
DAMN n00b

Post by Deacon51 »

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll keep an eye out for any events coming up.
I need to get my motorcycle shed built! That was my winter goal that I have made no progress on.

Now I'm thinking of a fourth option. Trade for a F800GS AND get a dirt bike I can tag and trailer. My son is getting a little big for the CRF230, maybe it's time to upgrade him to a tagged bike also.

If only I had more money!

So, anyone know a excavation company that can help me build up a pad to put a 30x30 building on?
2003 FZ1 'The Bee'
2008 FJR 'Rainmaker'

So many roads, so little time.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Deacon51 wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll keep an eye out for any events coming up.
I need to get my motorcycle shed built! That was my winter goal that I have made no progress on.

Now I'm thinking of a fourth option. Trade for a F800GS AND get a dirt bike I can tag and trailer. My son is getting a little big for the CRF230, maybe it's time to upgrade him to a tagged bike also.

If only I had more money!

So, anyone know a excavation company that can help me build up a pad to put a 30x30 building on?
good strategy!

and Hare does excavations - but he hasn't posted in a while.

30x30 - oh how I wish my shop was that big!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Granville
DAMN Poohba

Post by Granville »

I second option 3. There is nothing like some good single track to put a smile on your face. Look for the annual Western, MD B-day Camp & Ride this April for some action.
525EXC Jim's
250CRF James's
200XCW Jack's
225TTR Lauren's
400Big Bear Tanya's
The family that rides together always has someone to tell them why they crashed.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

You can never have too many bikes :deal:

You need a good DS bike; the 800, and a good taggable "dirt" bike. And keep the FJR of course. That should cover all the bases :thumbup:

And make sure Jr gets a new scoot. :rickey:
Bruce