I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

85 degrees and beautiful today

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Teethgrinder

85 degrees and beautiful today

Post by Teethgrinder »

Who is doing what?

Within the next 40 minutes, I am jumping an a motorbike and going somewhere. WV? VA? Not sure, but definitely going. Maybe big-bike distance, maybe a thumper romp.

What are you guys up to? (If your answer doesn't include riding in some capacity on such a wonderful day, I offer only a snooty "tsk-tsk" sound in your general direction :nono: )

How are you enjoying the day? :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: 85 degrees and beautiful today

Post by Rut Row »

Teethgrinder wrote:Who is doing what?

Within the next 40 minutes, I am jumping an a motorbike and going somewhere. WV? VA? Not sure, but definitely going. Maybe big-bike distance, maybe a thumper romp.

What are you guys up to? (If your answer doesn't include riding in some capacity on such a wonderful day, I offer only a snooty "tsk-tsk" sound in your general direction :nono: )

How are you enjoying the day? :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:
dude - you missed the scouting trip, the river crossing, the chili-cheese dogs and one heck of a great time! Video coming soon.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

DAMNKLRRider wrote: dude - you missed the scouting trip, the river crossing, the chili-cheese dogs and one heck of a great time! Video coming soon.
Doh!

I do enjoy chilidogs. I'll look forward to the video.

Myself, I took the Big Bike down to Luray. Just an easy-going spin. I have returned, covered in what seems to be every species of insect native to the region. I'd be surprised if there are any left flying around down there. I did, for the first time, get my knee to the pavement on this little romp. A proud moment for me - if I could only recall and repeat the process. I may just rip the puck off of my A* pants and hang it on my wall. :rickey:

I also came back with mechanical concerns. Lately, neutral has been a bit scarce on my Ducati. I chalked it up to simple clutch-lever adjustment, and my unfamiliarity with a dry clutch. Today, it DAMNed near disappeared. Not only that, but the machine wants to creep in first with the lever pulled in all the way. This (to me) sounds like the clutch is not disengaging. The machine only has 1150 miles on it (as of today) so I don't think I've burned up the clutch just yet (I'm not that bad of a shifter). Reading just now has told me that it may need to be bled (air in lines/mcyl?) I don't know, but it took a lot of the confidence in the machine away from me on the return trip. Time I learn about performing this task. (Any DAMN input?)

Sorry I missed your scouting today! Make with the pics/video soon. :loveit:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Scott-it definitely sound like your clutch just needs bleeding and is not a mechanical issue. The clutches on Ducatis will last an incredibly long time. I used to pull mine out and tabs would be missing off the plates and everything, but it still wasn't slipping. Investing in an aftermarket slave cylinder might be worth it too. Easier clutch pull, fluid doesn't get as dirty as quickly.

As for today, I met up with strinigburner and TyMarp from SMJ and TT. We met in Keyser, WV and hit up all the squirrelly little back roads we could find as we worked our way south to Petersburg and then to our destination, Smoke Hole Road. Beautiful day. I was feeling a bit rusty and the DRZ was having some issues, which were distracting me. But overall a great day. We logged close to 200 miles and I can feel it!
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I got to commute home from work this morning and then back again in the evening.

How was smokehole Mike? Does that one corner bring back any ghost pains in your leg as you pass?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Bucho wrote:I got to commute home from work this morning and then back again in the evening.

How was smokehole Mike? Does that one corner bring back any ghost pains in your leg as you pass?
We stopped for some caffienated motivation in Petersburg before running Smoke Hole. I had not thought about the leg all morning, but at that stop it started making itself known. :screwy: Go figure. My riding overall was fairly (relatively) tentative. Roads were still a bit dusty and dirty, and the WV DOT has been cleaning out roadside drainage, so there were lot's of spots covered in a layer of dry dirt and dust. Smoke Hole has some parts of the road collapsing and sinking and the associated road work had the road dirtier than I have seen it before. We only rode north to south. The early part of the road was fine and fun. The rider was not up to mid-summer form by a long shot though.
:ride: The DRZ was acting up and deterring my confidence, so I need to do some work to get it sorted.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

mdubya wrote:Scott-it definitely sound like your clutch just needs bleeding and is not a mechanical issue. The clutches on Ducatis will last an incredibly long time. I used to pull mine out and tabs would be missing off the plates and everything, but it still wasn't slipping. Investing in an aftermarket slave cylinder might be worth it too. Easier clutch pull, fluid doesn't get as dirty as quickly.

As for today, I met up with strinigburner and TyMarp from SMJ and TT. We met in Keyser, WV and hit up all the squirrelly little back roads we could find as we worked our way south to Petersburg and then to our destination, Smoke Hole Road. Beautiful day. I was feeling a bit rusty and the DRZ was having some issues, which were distracting me. But overall a great day. We logged close to 200 miles and I can feel it!
That sounds like WestByGodVirginian for "volcano". :harhar:
I almost headed out towards Petersburg myself, but my wrist, my clutch, and my monkeybutt told me otherwise.

I may need to pick many brains about correctly bleeding hydrolic clutches. I tend to exacerbate problems when I try new things :|
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Teethgrinder wrote:
mdubya wrote:Scott-it definitely sound like your clutch just needs bleeding and is not a mechanical issue. The clutches on Ducatis will last an incredibly long time. I used to pull mine out and tabs would be missing off the plates and everything, but it still wasn't slipping. Investing in an aftermarket slave cylinder might be worth it too. Easier clutch pull, fluid doesn't get as dirty as quickly.

That sounds like WestByGodVirginian for "volcano". :harhar:
I almost headed out towards Petersburg myself, but my wrist, my clutch, and my monkeybutt told me otherwise.

I may need to pick many brains about correctly bleeding hydrolic clutches. I tend to exacerbate problems when I try new things :|
Patience and persistence on bleeding the clutch. They are a pain in the ass.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Anyone ride today?
My commute into work w/ a downpour was great.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200