I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DS Camping Trip - aug 22-23rd

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
code
DAMN Poohba

Re: DS Camping Trip - aug 22-23rd

Post by code »

I noticed the same thing on smoke hole....am thinking, worse case we turn around or make our own route thru. Chances are we'll get there, it won't go thru and it'll be a narrow road with a cliff on both sides :dry: :lol2: Not scared of a few miles :rickey: I'll do my route and your route and meet you guys back at the campground. I expect this when I arrive :bow: yeah that's right :thumbup:
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

This may not work for me. From home, it's 365 miles, but 11 hours and 08 minutes, not counting stops. If you guys plan on being at camp at 1700, I'd have to leave here around 0500.
code
DAMN Poohba

Post by code »

CapoGreg wrote:This may not work for me. From home, it's 365 miles, but 11 hours and 08 minutes, not counting stops. If you guys plan on being at camp at 1700, I'd have to leave here around 0500.
Greg..you're welcome to crash here fri. night. Mind you, our kid has a schedule and I have to watch toons with him from 8-9 before bed. lol
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

code wrote:
CapoGreg wrote:This may not work for me. From home, it's 365 miles, but 11 hours and 08 minutes, not counting stops. If you guys plan on being at camp at 1700, I'd have to leave here around 0500.
Greg..you're welcome to crash here fri. night. Mind you, our kid has a schedule and I have to watch toons with him from 8-9 before bed. lol
If we want to get to WVA to do some decent riding - we need to leave the Point of Rock at the MD/VA border at 8am.. This hasn't been a surprise.. So if you are coming from Bel Air - it could mead a 5am Start Time..

If this is a problem - would a Fri Night leave time be better.. This way more time would be spend riding on the road than getting to there... Up to you guys.. the route down is pretty good...

Here is route home on Sun -
Attachments
ridehomepartb.gpx
(135.32 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
ridehomepartb.gdb
(50.04 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
ridehomeparta.gpx
(37 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
ridehomeparta.gdb
(11.83 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Here are the two routes once we get to the Brandywine WVa (and Pie at "The Cabin")...

There are two... One is the longer one that takes us down to Durbin and PR 44 which is supposed to be pretty cool.. however this route is another 140+ mile ie approx 4 hours(this is on top of the 4 hours to get to brandywine wva - ie a long day.. It's called "RideFROMpie"

However, I can understand that it might be a long day so there is also an abbreviated route - Called "rideFROMpie_b" which cuts all of pr44 but throws in some other dirts stuff and could be fun and is less than 3 hours and less than 100 miles total..
Attachments
rideFROMpie_b.gpx
(104.07 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
rideFROMpie_b.gdb
(33.46 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
rideFROMpie.gpx
(139.82 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
rideFROMpie.gdb
(43.87 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Ok.. To recap.. this is what we have

There is a ride down from the point or rocks in MD to Brandywine Wva - where I like to get pie at "the cabin"

This route is ptrock_pie_dual (149 miles - 4 hours)

Then we have two routes

rideFROMpie (135 miles 4 hours)
or
rideFROMpie_B (99 miles 3 hours)

I am figuring we can decide on which route when we get to the Cabin... If we are fresh and want more - we do the longer route ... If we are tired we do the shorter (b) route...

Then on Sun the ride home that is done in in two routes
ridehomeparta (37 miles 1 hour 15 mins)
ridehomepartb (125 miles 4 hours 25 mins)

I use winrar to compress files and I zipped up each type of both - garmin gdb and others in gpx
Attachments

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension zip has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

2013 Honda CB1100
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
mica

Post by mica »

You guys have any idea when you plan on arriving at Seneca Shadows? POR is the wrong direction for me. I'll just head there or maybe intercept your route along the way. If y'all ever figure out your route.
webmost

Post by webmost »

For those of us who are GPS challenged, can you post a link to a map route?

Capo says: "...I'd have to leave here around 0500." Fredneck takes me 2 hours from Newark Dull-Aware, long as the beltway behaves. If it takes you 3 hours from Blair, maybe you should backtrack to Newark first. :ride:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

hondahawkrider wrote:You guys aren't afraid of some miles now ... are ya...

Speaking of planning .. I need a confirmation that smokehole goes all the way thru n/s .. It shows that way on Google Maps - but not on my garmin software...
Miles? Nope - I rode my KLR 3,600 miles round trip to James Bay... :roost:

Never trust Garmin's maps 100% - I have their topos for that reason - some roads don't show or aren't connected on the map but in truth they are and the topo proves it.

Sooo, looking at the GPS route, it appears we are meeting at the Point of Rocks train station at 0800?

For those parking at my place, that is about 20 minutes from my house - we should aim at a departure from my place at 0730. For those who want to come early, I'll have the coffee on.

btw, with a 0800 departure - the old guys demand a 1000 coffee stop! :dry:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Speaking of planning .. I need a confirmation that smokehole goes all the way thru n/s .. It shows that way on Google Maps - but not on my garmin software...
I can confirm, you can definitely connect 220 and 28\55 with Smoke hole road. If you are coming in from 220, there is one point where you have to take a hard left up a hill and in about a quarter mile, a hard right to make the 2 ends connect but it is marked fairly well. BTW, be in the game when you ride smoke hole, especially the 28\55 side; lots of tight, blind turns but really fun!

Enjoy this area, it is one of my favorites. Since you are right there, a hike up to the top of Senecca rocks or take a ride up to Spruce Knob should not be missed. I wish I was going with you guys but I was just down there at the end of July for a week and the vacation/recration time is getting thin....

Have Fun.
Jay