I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Pine Barrens 500

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Pine Barrens 500

Post by Bucho »

Ken and I are leaving for the Jersey Pine Barrens this afternoon. I'm getting all my gear laid out. Ken has had his gear and bike in his truck for several days ready to go.
Hopefully we'll come back w/ some cool pictures of us blazing through deep sand, we'll look just like Dakar Rally riders.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:Ken has had his gear and bike in his truck for several days ready to go.
:salute: :roost: :harhar:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I'm sitting in our hotel room about to go to dinner. Ken and I made it through the first day. I'll be honest and say it is much harder then I thought it would be. Hats off to anyone who can do this on an big twin adventure bike, I think most of them skipped the harder sections. Deep sand is tough, Dakar Rally riders are gods.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
chriskoz
DAMN Expert

Post by chriskoz »

I am riding vicariously through you! Can't wait to see pics.
2006 VTX 1300
2006 YZ250F
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

67 yo enduro racers are gods too! Next time I look for someone to ride with, if they have roll charts, etc on their bike, I'm looking elsewhere!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Yeah, we made it through both days and home w/ out killing ourselves. I'll put a couple pics up tomorrow. (If anybody is interested enough, I'll email you all of them.)
Was an absolute blast. Day two went much better, I was able to use everything I learned the first day and ride pretty well.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Happy Rider!

Post by Rut Row »

How can you tell a happy rally rider?

:lol8:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

More Pics

Post by Rut Row »

Disclaimer: some of these pics are phils.

Phil, admiring the competitive field... :brows:

More old racers. These guys left slightly early each day and still were the first onces back! :roost:

There were some pretty exotic bikes there. We saw a couple HP2s and one tricked out Ducati Monster.

End of day 1 - believe it or not, I was happy! Just praying that the Ibuprofen would kick in soon :lol8:

On Day two, Phil and I split up. Phil rode with Fast Pete - from Saturday. Another Pete came for Sunday and he was an honest slow. He didn't have a GPS either so we rode together and had a great time. We set out to do all the pansy bypasses but they didn't show up on the GPS and we ended up doing the full Day 2 route, hero sections and all!

:whoop: And speaking of whoops, the single track with 3'+ whoops was killer. I don't know how bigger bikes made it. :bow:

Pete #2 on the right riding a KTM 640 Adventure.

btw, like Phil I was starting to get the hang of the sand and got cocky in a long deep stretch . Sorry no pictures but I did have an impressive dismount. Over the left handlebar into the sand. Pete said I was airborne quite a while - seemed like forever to me! :harhar:
Ken
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

If you would notice from the last two pictures, the parking lot is still pretty empty. Ken's Day Two team managed to pass and stay ahead of quite a few people.
I wish I had some more exact numbers, but I would guess only about half of the 90+ riders actually did the whole days riding. Alot of people skipped alot of the tougher sections, and others struggled to make it to the lunch stop. Then had a few beers and called it a day!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Heres a few pics.

Here is Ken blazing along a firecut.

Here is Ken rounding a corner. One of the only staged shots, I wish we would have taken more time to take pictures, but nobody like stopping once you get rolling especially when the sand gets deep.

Ken getting a little sideways.

This is one of the first deep sand sections, and as you can see we are struggling a little.

I tried to get a good picture of the sand. Its worse then it looks here. There were worse sections but I was too afraid to stop when I was in them.

Me coming through the trees in a firecut.

It was super fun, besides this event, I think we might need to do a DAMN riders NJ sand outing.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200