I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Another option for Adv ride

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Another option for Adv ride

Post by Laoch »

Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Another option for Adv ride

Post by Bucho »

Cool!

More options are always great. Ken and I did the SandBlast Rally way back in 08 (I think?). Lots of neat sand roads thru hilly pine forests, was near Cheraw SC.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

If you're willing to ride that far south for an ADV ride, jump on the TAT in Damascus VA and ride it down through the Smokies, TN, N. GA. From there you can hook on to the Smoky 500 or 1000 track loop and jump off where ever it makes sense to come home. The Smoky 500 is mostly off the pavement with some real water crossings and a few gnarly rocky bits but nothing that isn't big bike friendly. The Smoky 1000 adds more pavement.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/smokey-m ... 00.926507/

I've done most of the 500 on my 1200GS but it would be more fun for most on a smaller bike. Here's a video of one of the stream crossings on the 500 in N. Georgia done in early December a few years ago:

If you go searching for it on ADVrider or Facebook the guy spells it "Smokey" instead of the proper name of the mountains - Smoky.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Twist wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:13 am If you're willing to ride that far south for an ADV ride, .
Absolutely NOT willing to ride that far...

But Id haul my bike that far.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
da scrub
DAMN Wanabe

Post by da scrub »

:thumbup:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Bucho wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:57 pm
Twist wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:13 am If you're willing to ride that far south for an ADV ride, .
Absolutely NOT willing to ride that far...

But Id haul my bike that far.
Truth be told, when we did the Smoky 500, I hauled my bike to N. Georgia. I left my truck at my sister's house and met my buddies in Dillard GA to start the loop.

Another loop I've done in that area of the country is the SouthEast Adventure Trail (SEAT). It's about a week long ride, mostly off the pavement, that loops around the perimeter of the state of Georgia. If you aren't comfortable in soft sand before this ride, you will be after you're done. The Florida panhandle is a lot of sand. I have a ride report on ADVrider for this loop:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/seat-tet ... t.1253115/
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I grew up in Columbus Ga., my parents are from the east side of the state, Waynesboro and Millen (south of Augusta). I spent many an hour on my XL175 riding all around Ft. Benning on tank tracks and roads all up and down the west side of the state. Yup, you better be ready for sand and clay in Ga! Red clay is like snotty glass when it gets wet. I have alot of friends that live in Panama City Beach Fl, Columbus Ga., ATL and Phenix City Al., so plenty of places to use for camping and support if a bunch of us ever want to do some of this. Ga is a great place to ride and north Ga is about as pretty as it gets up around Dahlonega and Helen. Have done some killer street bike rides up that way.
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Yeah, I spent five years at Ft Benning. Loved it. Not so much the humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Firebolter wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:57 am I grew up in Columbus Ga., my parents are from the east side of the state, Waynesboro and Millen (south of Augusta). I spent many an hour on my XL175 riding all around Ft. Benning on tank tracks and roads all up and down the west side of the state. Yup, you better be ready for sand and clay in Ga! Red clay is like snotty glass when it gets wet. I have alot of friends that live in Panama City Beach Fl, Columbus Ga., ATL and Phenix City Al., so plenty of places to use for camping and support if a bunch of us ever want to do some of this. Ga is a great place to ride and north Ga is about as pretty as it gets up around Dahlonega and Helen. Have done some killer street bike rides up that way.
I grew up in sport bikes in N Georgia and have left a lot of what we used to call R compound tire rubber up there. It always feels like home when I travel back there. I still have family in N Georgia so I’d be very interested in organizing any kind of ride there.