I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trials stuff

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Trials stuff

Post by Boom Boom »

Jtrobb wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:53 pm Newb trials question,

I "tightened" up the small section I have behind my house today. and found in a couple of place either the Bike or myself would be leaning against a tree, is this a point, like touching the ground?

I have been treating trials like an adult game of "the ground is Lava", just need to know if the trees are lava too.

Jason Robb
Yes, any thing that helped you is a point. If you brush by and was just because it was to tight and did not help then checkers should not count...if it helped you from taking a point then yep, that tree dab is a point.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Also if you slide your foot to save doing a second dab you will get 3 points for that foot slide. Good you are staying entertained during this crazy time.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Jtrobb
DAMN Expert

Post by Jtrobb »

I have been practicing the basics I learned out at your place. Like turning with the pegs, I thought I was turning with the handle bars before but now that I am focused on the pegs I realize I like to turn with the throttle and the brake. Old habits are hard to break. When I remembered to steer with my feet, un-weight the inside peg, my shoulder automatically square up like they should. I have also been focusing on a neutral riding position with no pressure on my palms, that seems to help with fatigue.

Jason Robb
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Jtrobb wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:31 pm I have been practicing the basics I learned out at your place. Like turning with the pegs, I thought I was turning with the handle bars before but now that I am focused on the pegs I realize I like to turn with the throttle and the brake. Old habits are hard to break. When I remembered to steer with my feet, un-weight the inside peg, my shoulder automatically square up like they should. I have also been focusing on a neutral riding position with no pressure on my palms, that seems to help with fatigue.

Jason Robb
Ahh grasshopper, you doing well.
If on Facebook go to Pittsburgh Motorcycle Trials and join. Jason and Sally that was at the farm that day...that is their page. I just had Jason use a wood skid to make a balance jig for Sally to work on wheelie balance point and to get comfortable with front wheel in the air.
Silly easy but it works...he was using some engine but no need, just rear brake locked and use body core to lift front wheel and hold it.
Elevate the front wheel to start to make easier. As better remove strap from rear wheel and helper block from the front.
You can also use the skid and put front wheel on the ground and work on hopping front wheel...with no balance issues you can work on proper technique.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

You can use this simple concept and do so much more.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:30 am

OK, when I decided to jump on a trials bike I committed to leaving my ego at the door. I'm off to create a wheelie pallet...

:chicken:
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Twist wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:19 pm
Boom Boom wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:30 am

OK, when I decided to jump on a trials bike I committed to leaving my ego at the door. I'm off to create a wheelie pallet...

:chicken:
Have a go with your GS. :shrug:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:24 pm Have a go with your GS. :shrug:
I think we're going to need a bigger pallet... :killingme:

I shared the idea w/ some friends. One thought to tie the front wheel to a tree or something with enough slack so when the bike goes too far over-center it doesn't fall on you and bust the bar/controls up.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Because not moving you just step off...about as safe as you can get but agree a rope would stop any flip over. Simple easy fun. For the kids I get in front of the bike and have them lunge at me while I pull the bars with locked front brake and put rear wheel up to balance point to feel a full on nose wheelie.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I get the not moving/just step off part. But it only takes a small misstep/slip to fall on your butt and completely let go of the bike. My friend who suggested it is going to try it w/ a big enduro bike as thats all hes got. It be nice not to tear up the bike if things go wrong.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee