Re: The KAT -Part Deux discussion thread

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
User avatar
Bucho
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 5431
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 am
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux discussion thread

Post by Bucho » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:07 pm

Discuss KAT prep type stuff here. Gear, GPS, tires, oil, etc.

I didn't want SJ's thread to get clogged up with the extraneous, albeit worthwhile, posts regarding ancillary topics.
With five months to go, it will get clogged and would be tough to find posts pertaining to the actual who's going and what's the route stuff in the main thread.





aai wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 am
Firebolter wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:40 am
Not up my ass, around my ass. You guys make fun but when you ride all day like Dual Sporting, that stuff keeps the cheeks nice and NON-Raw! Image

Now back on topic-Broke out my Giant Loop gear and it is ready to go. Haven't used it in a few years. I have the smaller Mojave set up with the little top bag and a fuel cell carrier. Perfect size for a trip like this. Carry an extra litre of fuel, a set of clothes for night time/non-riding and some extra tubes and stuff I don't carry on my Klim vest.
glad I didn't get rid of my seat concepts comfort :jack: thanks Bruce Image2:
thanks for posting up gear run down FB. Don't have bag setup yet, will definitely look into Giant Loop stuff. Im waiting for the release of this rack for my bike. I better get on his first batch run when released :huh: It suppose to carry a Rotopax on rear rack and side reinforcement for bags. I see the inner tubes, check!

https://www.truenorthmotos.com/racks-1/ ... 0-501-rack
By all means use this trip as an excuse to buy some cool moto stuff.
HOWEVER, do not pack too much crap. We are staying hotels, you really dont need much. Some extra socks and underwear and a few basic tools.
I know I took too much stuff last time and regretted it.
Suzuki DR650
Beta Xtrainer
Sherco 290 trials

User avatar
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 am
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Post by Firebolter » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:09 pm

What Boucho said, the Mojave is a smaller set up. If you go with the bigger stuff, it gets in the way when you get into some good trails or trees etc. I have a nice pair nylon pants that roll up really small and convert into shorts, so you can have both with one pair, to wear in the evenings. Jeans take up alot of room. Revzilla has great pick of all of the popular brands to look at. Giant Loop is a little pricey, but well made and they have different sizes. Got to target or Walmart and you can get those wick away t-shirts for ~10 bucks and those too take up little room and don't bother you if they get wet like cotton does. That's what I wear under my gear, you can wash them in a sink and they dry over night, so your base layer is clean each day when you start off riding. Then I'll bring 1 for evening when you get out of the gear. I usually bring a pair of slippers, again, takes up little room in your pack.

Go commando and you don't need no stinkin drawers! :lol2:
Lots of cool bikes---

User avatar
aai
DAMN Expert
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Post by aai » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:33 pm

Bucho wrote:
aai wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 am
Firebolter wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:40 am
Not up my ass, around my ass. You guys make fun but when you ride all day like Dual Sporting, that stuff keeps the cheeks nice and NON-Raw! :thumbup:

Now back on topic-Broke out my Giant Loop gear and it is ready to go. Haven't used it in a few years. I have the smaller Mojave set up with the little top bag and a fuel cell carrier. Perfect size for a trip like this. Carry an extra litre of fuel, a set of clothes for night time/non-riding and some extra tubes and stuff I don't carry on my Klim vest.
glad I didn't get rid of my seat concepts comfort :jack: thanks Bruce :lol2:
thanks for posting up gear run down FB. Don't have bag setup yet, will definitely look into Giant Loop stuff. Im waiting for the release of this rack for my bike. I better get on his first batch run when released :huh: It suppose to carry a Rotopax on rear rack and side reinforcement for bags. I see the inner tubes, check!

https://www.truenorthmotos.com/racks-1/ ... 0-501-rack
By all means use this trip as an excuse to buy some cool moto stuff.
HOWEVER, do not pack too much crap. We are staying hotels, you really dont need much. Some extra socks and underwear and a few basic tools.
I know I took too much stuff last time and regretted it.
Sounds like the stuff I had when we rode Michaux should be enough, had a liter of fuel, toolbag on rear fender and my backpack


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks,
Sonny
Husky FE 501
Beta Evo Sport 4T
Bultaco Sherpa T

User avatar
aai
DAMN Expert
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Post by aai » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:36 pm

Firebolter wrote:What Boucho said, the Mojave is a smaller set up. If you go with the bigger stuff, it gets in the way when you get into some good trails or trees etc. I have a nice pair nylon pants that roll up really small and convert into shorts, so you can have both with one pair, to wear in the evenings. Jeans take up alot of room. Revzilla has great pick of all of the popular brands to look at. Giant Loop is a little pricey, but well made and they have different sizes. Got to target or Walmart and you can get those wick away t-shirts for ~10 bucks and those too take up little room and don't bother you if they get wet like cotton does. That's what I wear under my gear, you can wash them in a sink and they dry over night, so your base layer is clean each day when you start off riding. Then I'll bring 1 for evening when you get out of the gear. I usually bring a pair of slippers, again, takes up little room in your pack.

Go commando and you don't need no stinkin drawers! :lol2:
Good stuff! Thanks. I have some real lightweight stuff from my mountain biking wannabe faze Image
Need to break it out and look thru it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks,
Sonny
Husky FE 501
Beta Evo Sport 4T
Bultaco Sherpa T

User avatar
aai
DAMN Expert
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Post by aai » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:47 pm

:whip:


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by aai on Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Sonny
Husky FE 501
Beta Evo Sport 4T
Bultaco Sherpa T

User avatar
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 am
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux discussion thread

Post by Firebolter » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:08 am






Laoch wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:58 pm

I got one of those Montana things on the way. Let the learning begin. Image2:
I have been using a Montana for ~6 years now, good unit. Durable. If you didn't already, get the powered mount for it. While you can run it on batteries, believe it or not, you can shake the unit enough to make the battery "jolt" loose connection for a split second and loose all of your nav data from that ride. Happened to me in Colorado. Since I went to the powered mount, never one issue. I mount mine via RAM ball Angled Bolt Head Adapter Ball Base and attach that to my hand guard bolt. You'll need a back plate/ball for the powered mount. I used a Ram diamond ball base. Lots of options, just make sure whatever you use, you get the same size balls on the mount ball base and what ever you use to mount to the bike. Very strong and has made 5 trip to Colorado and numerous other trips on hard single track where it gets beat up pretty good!

The powered mount you just run to the battery. You'll only use the black and red wires in the main wire. the other 2 are audio wires. I cut mine up by the headlight and used 2 small connectors so i can take the whole mount off the bike when not using it or to unplug it so you don't drain your battery. There is a bit of parasitic draw even when the unit is off, so at night I just disconnect it. I'll take some pics for ya tonite so you can get your own idea how you want to do it!

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-272U
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-238U
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-AMPS ... gKttvD_BwE

Image
Image
Lots of cool bikes---

User avatar
Laoch
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 3294
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Post by Laoch » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:32 pm

It comes with a mount of some sort. I’ll wait and see what’s included. I generally don’t like wiring to the bike and prefer rechargeable sand batteries. Too many bad stories of killing batteries.
Bruce
'19 FE250/some trials bikes

User avatar
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 am
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Post by Firebolter » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:04 pm

Laoch wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:32 pm
It comes with a mount of some sort. I’ll wait and see what’s included. I generally don’t like wiring to the bike and prefer rechargeable sand batteries. Too many bad stories of killing batteries.
That's why I unplug mine at night! Just don't be surprised if you are riding in some rough terrain and it does a "restart"
Lots of cool bikes---

User avatar
Laoch
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 3294
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Post by Laoch » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Firebolter wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:04 pm
Laoch wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:32 pm
It comes with a mount of some sort. I’ll wait and see what’s included. I generally don’t like wiring to the bike and prefer rechargeable sand batteries. Too many bad stories of killing batteries.
That's why I unplug mine at night! Just don't be surprised if you are riding in some rough terrain and it does a "restart"
Yeah, it's the unplugging thing that gets me :dry:
Bruce
'19 FE250/some trials bikes

User avatar
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba
Posts: 1554
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:32 am
Contact:

Re: The KAT -Part Deux AND Hatfield McCoy Buffalo Mountain 7/18 to 7/26/2020

Post by juddspaintballs » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:36 pm

I've had mine hardwired to my KTM for years now. I have it tied into the tail light circuit so it only powers the GPS when the tail light is on. As long as I remember to turn my tail light off at the end of a ride, I'm good. If not, the bike has a kick start (and a re-start battery). The Montana doesn't draw much power at all, so throughout a normal day ride I rarely turn my tail light (and GPS) off. Usually, if it's just for lunch, I'll turn the tail light off and cancel the GPS auto-shutdown when power is removed so it runs on battery while I'm eating.


I strongly recommend a lanyard on the GPS that goes around your bars or something. I've had a RAM arm break in the past and my lanyard kept the GPS from disappearing and I've had it pop out of the mount a couple times. My mount now lives on my center handlebar clamp attached directly via 4 screws because I drilled and tapped holes in the handlebar clamp to do so. It's a very clean location that is never in the way but convenient enough to glance at when needed.
Jed Gregory
KTM 450 EXC

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 31 guests