I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bald Eagle ride

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Bald Eagle ride

Post by Boom Boom »

http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/p ... 029714.pdf

This is the map you want.

What you posted was for the big bikes like GS BMW route.

NEVER blunder off marked trails or just start riding trails that are not marked with the purple marker as part of the dual sport or single track approved trails.

PaTRA works very hard to keep these trails available to ride....it is a never ending battle. All the state needs is seeing non approved trails used for motorized travel and one more reason for them to just close the trail system.

If you want to just blunder and ride where ever then please go to a private pay to ride area. When using state land play by the rules or we all will loose.

The dual sport loop I posted above is around 80 miles and very little pavement and plenty of "driveable trail" (abandoned roads) and trails that have been approved by the state for motorized travel. If this bores you then the 20 mile loop at Shade will offer far more effort to be ridden.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:42 am http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/p ... 029714.pdf

This is the map you want.

What you posted was for the big bikes like GS BMW route.

NEVER blunder off marked trails or just start riding trails that are not marked with the purple marker as part of the dual sport or single track approved trails.
I appreciate the public service announcement. I agree with your sentiment of being protective and respectful of where we ride. I pride myself on the amount of research I do before I go off on a ride and I'm familiar with that map (already have it on my tank bag) and the concept of the purple blaze trails. Having only ridden briefly in this area on a big bike, I was just looking for some advice on the best way to spend a couple of days there. I may have given the impression of blundering around when I mentioned "rambling around." Not the case.

I'm looking for the 80 mile track you posted and can't seem to find it. Any tips that would make our ride more fun and respectful of the privilege of riding there are appreciated.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:42 am

The dual sport loop I posted above is around 80 miles and very little pavement and plenty of "driveable trail" (abandoned roads) and trails that have been approved by the state for motorized travel. If this bores you then the 20 mile loop at Shade will offer far more effort to be ridden.
I'm sure we'll have a great time exploring Bald Mountain and, if as you say, we get bored, we'll figure out how to get over Shade. I can't find any trail maps for that area but I did find some information on where the trail head parking is located:

https://paohv.org/Where-to-Ride/South-C ... nnsylvania

Let me know if anyone here wants to join us next Monday or Tuesday. We'll be riding both days in the area staying at 7 Mountains Campground.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

PaTRA site used to have the Shade map posted and now I do not see it. Will post up if I find it. If staying at the campground along Rt 322 then a modest drive to Shade but perfect location to ride the dual sport loop. I have no routes as I use maps and check with most recent map as trails get closed and the ride needs to be changed also guys post routes from dual sport event where private land would have been included. You will find gas in Troxelville, about mid loop.
Rt 235 goes from McAlisterville to Beaver Springs....Shade parking lot is on top of the mountain with a large DCNR sign so easy to find. They sometime have maps in the bin at the parking area but also have a map and you can take a picture with your phone. If never at Shade before I would suggest riding clockwise starting out the easier trail to the left then crossing the dirt road to the north side (enduro loop). This will make the harder rock climb along the south side be a down hill vs a climb. Outer loop is about 20 miles. If you pick up the interior trails and can find Mitchel climb on the south loop you will have closer to 30 miles total. The locals love to remove the purple markers and cause many to ride off trail. Just keep a loop out for the purple markers....if you are not seeing any, good odds you are not on the Shade loop and have ridding into what might be private land or just off the approved trail. Locals on quads are dicks and love to remove the NO ATV markers and the purple markers
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

The map is still there just not linked to the page any more:
http://www.patrailriders.org/wp-content ... il-map.pdf

I grabbed a copy for myself in case it disappears altogether. I used the wayback machine to figure out the url to the map:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160914061 ... ing-areas/
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Marylander wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 pm The map is still there just not linked to the page any more:
http://www.patrailriders.org/wp-content ... il-map.pdf

I grabbed a copy for myself in case it disappears altogether. I used the wayback machine to figure out the url to the map:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160914061 ... ing-areas/
Awesome. Thanks!
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

We ended up spending our day and half all in Seven Mountains area and rode 127 miles staying mainly on the dual sport trails occasionally using a forest road to connect.

We had perfect weather with highs in the 60s and felt like we were riding both days with the air conditioning on. I really like the variety of trails from smooth crushed blue stone to gnarly tight single tracks and the advice you guys gave about making sure we stayed on the motorized trails was easy to do. It was really well marked and we carried a trail map along. The trails were all dry for the most part and didn't see another soul in two days in there.

I wish I'd taken more photos:

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Nice... Love those anti quad gates. Not that they could not go around, just the message is clear they are not permitted. Sounds like perfect weather.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr