I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Michaux or Taskers Gap?

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Michaux or Taskers Gap?

Post by Twist »

I'm going to try to sneak out for a ride later in the coming week and these two places are about equidistant for me (~2.5 hours). I'm familiar with Peters Mill having ridden that 7 mile stretch a few times on the KLR but now with the WRR, wanting to explore the Taskers trails. I'll probably haul the bike down there and unload at the parking area at Taskers Gap if I go there.

The other option is Michaux and I've ridden straight through there before on the dirt roads while riding the TPAT but looking at the park road map, there's a lot of dirt roads in there. I'm wondering where the best place would be to park the truck and unload there? I've got a few GPS tracks for some loops in there but any advice there would be appreciated as well!

And lastly, which way should I go: Taskers Gap or Michaux? Other options within 2+ hours? This might be a day trip or a friend and I might make a two day trip out of it and stay over somewhere one night.

Thanks!
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Re: Michaux or Taskers Gap?

Post by Nobody »

1. You should post it under rides section.

For Taskers I'd suggest to call first because of: "Taskers Gap and Peters Mill Run
Each year, this OHV Trail System is closed to all motorized use beginning in late January through late March. "
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/pass ... ev3_000477

Taskers is great trails if you don't hate rocks. My closest riding place and I go there as often as I can. Also the permit is cheap.

Don't know much about Michaux.
Every day is a good day when you ride
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Taskers is still closed for at least another week or two. WATR is going out there the 16th to clear the trails from this winter.

Another option may be Moto Cove out in Gore, VA. They are open year round.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Twist, MotoCove is serious offroad if you are a beginner. If you still have your stock WR250R tires then Id advise you not to go. (I apologize if Im confusing you with someone else).

That said, I really like MotoCove. Its a fun place. What day were you going to ride?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.

I'm thinking of trying to get out Thursday/Friday depending on the weather. I'm flexible and waiting to hear back from another friend who just picked up another WRR this winter. We're both reasonably experienced off-road guys but most of my recent experience over the last few years has been on big bikes in inappropriate places like over Hogback Ridge Rd, Marienville trail system, and Seven Mountains in PA. I'm kinda curious how this is going to go on the 250 that's still sporting the stock final drive and tires. I've got a 50 tooth spocket on order but probably won't be installed before I go this week. I hope that's not a mistake but then again, it can be fun taking inappropriate bikes in to all the most appropriate places :cheers:

I was going to call the Lee Ranger district about Taskers Gap but am I right in assuming that all the dirt forest roads are open in Michaux? It looks like there's a maze of those in there.

The Pine Barrens is also on my list of places to check out. We made peace with sand over the last few years and I'm curious if it's really challenging in there or just the normal "sand sucks" kind of riding.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting back up to Bald Eagle on a smaller bike. This is us trying to get over the creek on a 1200GS where the bridge is out:

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I can hook you up with Michaux. I may be able to to ride later this week also. More later..
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Twist wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:28 pm Sorry about posting in the wrong forum.
No problem. That gives the Benevolent Dictator something to do. Its been moved.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Search Michaux on this site or on ADV and you can find info. Many miles of gravel forest roads, fun on any DS bike.
Park here----> 39°50'21.3"N 77°26'05.8"W It's state property designated parking spot. Close to the middle of the forest.
HQ here----> 39.904465, -77.470563. If you want official paper maps (in foyer open 24/7).
And here for PDF map----->https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateForests/Fi ... /Maps.aspx
PM me your email and I'll shoot you some route sheets. I don't do GPS.
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Bucho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:10 pm Twist, MotoCove is serious offroad if you are a beginner. If you still have your stock WR250R tires then Id advise you not to go. (I apologize if Im confusing you with someone else).

That said, I really like MotoCove. Its a fun place. What day were you going to ride?
I looked in to MotoCove a bit and yeah, I don't think I want to spend my day crawling around rock gardens and getting my ass kicked.

About an hour from me is Wicomico. A couple of friends have been going down there with their kids on ATVs. It's only a four mile trail ride other than the tracks but it's a place I could go to for half a day to get some dirt under my tires. It's open Thursday - Sunday.

I've been fussing with this WRR all winter and only riding it on the road around town. Let's just say I've got a lot of pent up need to get this thing dirty.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Twist wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:08 pm
Bucho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:10 pm Twist, MotoCove is serious offroad if you are a beginner. If you still have your stock WR250R tires then Id advise you not to go. (I apologize if Im confusing you with someone else).

I looked in to MotoCove a bit and yeah, I don't think I want to spend my day crawling around rock gardens and getting my ass kicked.

About an hour from me is Wicomico. A couple of friends have been going down there with their kids on ATVs. It's only a four mile trail ride other than the tracks but it's a place I could go to for half a day to get some dirt under my tires. It's open Thursday - Sunday.

I've been fussing with this WRR all winter and only riding it on the road around town. Let's just say I've got a lot of pent up need to get this thing dirty.
To be fair (to MotoCove) it's not all rock gardens. You see a lot of pics of them and hear a lot about them because they are hard and guys get hung up in the rocks (hence giving other guys time to take pics :lol2: ). I'm not saying the cove would be better than anyplace else but it is one of my favs. There are some more open trails (the Orange loop for one) and there are some truly hard sections. When my schedule allows I'll get a group together to hit it up, you should at least try it once! :roost:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.