I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Michaux or Taskers Gap?

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Michaux or Taskers Gap?

Post by Twist »

Wingfixer wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:18 pm When my schedule allows I'll get a group together to hit it up, you should at least try it once! :roost:
Would love too. It doesn't look any farther from me than Michaux or Taskers Gap
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Twist wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:45 pm
Wingfixer wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:18 pm When my schedule allows I'll get a group together to hit it up, you should at least try it once! :roost:
Would love too. It doesn't look any farther from me than Michaux or Taskers Gap
Right now I am looking at either April 6th or 20th. I'll know better by the middle of next week.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

There's a slight chance I could go on the 20th. I will be in Kentucky on the 6th.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Wingfixer wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:18 pm
To be fair (to MotoCove) it's not all rock gardens. You see a lot of pics of them and hear a lot about them because they are hard and guys get hung up in the rocks (hence giving other guys time to take pics :lol2: ). I'm not saying the cove would be better than anyplace else but it is one of my favs. There are some more open trails (the Orange loop for one) and there are some truly hard sections. When my schedule allows I'll get a group together to hit it up, you should at least try it once! :roost:
Well said.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Twist wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:08 pm
Bucho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:10 pm Twist, MotoCove is serious offroad if you are a beginner. If you still have your stock WR250R tires then Id advise you not to go. (I apologize if Im confusing you with someone else).

That said, I really like MotoCove. Its a fun place. What day were you going to ride?
I looked in to MotoCove a bit and yeah, I don't think I want to spend my day crawling around rock gardens and getting my ass kicked.

About an hour from me is Wicomico. A couple of friends have been going down there with their kids on ATVs. It's only a four mile trail ride other than the tracks but it's a place I could go to for half a day to get some dirt under my tires. It's open Thursday - Sunday.

I've been fussing with this WRR all winter and only riding it on the road around town. Let's just say I've got a lot of pent up need to get this thing dirty.
To be fair (to MotoCove) it's not all rock gardens. You see a lot of pics of them and hear a lot about them because they are hard and guys get hung up in the rocks (hence giving other guys time to take pics :lol2: ). I'm not saying the cove would be better than anyplace else but it is one of my favs. There are some more open trails (the Orange loop for one) and there are some truly hard sections. When my schedule allows I'll get a group together to hit it up, you should at least try it once! :roost:
akhem.. I can't remember any truly hard sections there .. Some challenging yes :) Once I had big problems with climb on a blue trail, the next time went up just like that..

Compared to Taskers Cove has only cosmetic rocks :lol2:

And even at Tasker's you can find fairly easy trails to ride (South side is not that bad). And the Peters Mill Run and other road on S side is quite easy.
Every day is a good day when you ride
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Nobody wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:30 pm
Twist wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:08 pm
Bucho wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:10 pm Twist, MotoCove is serious offroad if you are a beginner. If you still have your stock WR250R tires then Id advise you not to go. (I apologize if Im confusing you with someone else).

That said, I really like MotoCove. Its a fun place. What day were you going to ride?
I looked in to MotoCove a bit and yeah, I don't think I want to spend my day crawling around rock gardens and getting my ass kicked.

About an hour from me is Wicomico. A couple of friends have been going down there with their kids on ATVs. It's only a four mile trail ride other than the tracks but it's a place I could go to for half a day to get some dirt under my tires. It's open Thursday - Sunday.

I've been fussing with this WRR all winter and only riding it on the road around town. Let's just say I've got a lot of pent up need to get this thing dirty.
akhem.. I can't remember any truly hard sections there .. Some challenging yes :) Once I had big problems with climb on a blue trail, the next time went up just like that..

Compared to Taskers Cove has only cosmetic rocks :lol2:

And even at Tasker's you can find fairly easy trails to ride (South side is not that bad). And the Peters Mill Run and other road on S side is quite easy.
Oh, I remember the truly hard section at the Cove! It was the connecting road when I first went out on my DRZ :killingme:
Every day is a good day when you ride
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I think The Cove is easier for a beginner compared to Tasker's Gap. The Peter's Mill Run side of Tasker's is an easy Jeep trail, but the rest of the trails are more littered with head-sized rocks that aren't really difficult but certainly make a rough day for a new rider.

The Red loop at The Cove starts off as a Jeep trail, goes up into the woods with only a little bit of rocks and a slight hill up to another Jeep trail. That eventually narrows, but doesn't get all that difficult. The only really tough parts from there are the rutted out downhill into the creek the very short uphill through the little pile of rocks, and the one uphill with a rut in the middle and a log lying top to bottom. The Green trail there is easy and the Blue trail is only difficult for the one uphill section and the annoying rock garden at the end. The Orange trail follows most of the Red trail and I don't think it's any more difficult than the rest of the Red Trail.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I think we can agree that both places have rock sections that would be tricky for beginners
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

I have said this before but the first time Jacob & I went to the Cove I think he was riding his CR85, we were like "These rocks suck"
After a little bit I was thinking yea but we are getting some much needed experience & we got ok with it. :thumbup:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I called the Lee Ranger District today to ask about when Taskers Gap might open. They're going back in to do a final survey of the trails on 3/18 and depending on the moisture/condition then, may open the trails. She said basically that they're waiting on them to dry out a bit to open it up.

A friend and I will probably head up to Michaux on Wednesday or Thursday. Probably just a day trip to get up there by mid-morning; ride all day; and return back home to Annapolis by the evening. If we can sneak off for two days, we'll probably ride the area south of 30 one day and then go north of 30 the next. As I mentioned before, I've ridden straight through Michaux before so I really don't know how varied the forest roads are there or if it'll be interesting enough to spend two days riding the whole thing but after this winter, I'm getting pretty excited to just get some gratuitous gravel under me for a day or two.

If anyone is interested in joining, shout out here and I'll post up when our plan is more firm.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain