I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route- south- 3/27-3/29

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route - Trip 1

Post by juddspaintballs »

BDMaha wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 pm
juddspaintballs wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:43 pm Tire choices are difficult for the Wee. Originally, I wanted to try a TKC80 front and Mitas E-07 rear, but I think I might go for the Anakee Wild tires front and rear instead. I like wet asphalt performance and most of the options that fit the Wee's front are not good performers on wet asphalt. The TKC80 is supposed to be good for that, but wears out quickly on the Wee at the same time. We'll see. I still might go with my original plan of TKC80/E-07 and deal with a worn out front tire as it happens.
On my triumph 800 xc I had mitas e07 on rear and Karoo 3 on front which was very very good in rain and, 100 plus mph, and hard leaning on the asphalt. Now I only had that bike on some mud and a lot of gravel but those tires were great. However I don't think the tkc80 on the front is going to get worn out quickly like you stated. At least that is what I heard they last 8000 miles on front . I put 4000 miles on my tire combination and the karoo showed very little wear, the mitas did wear a bit but it's a cheap tire.

The Karoo 3 tires look good, but considered 70% street and 30% off-road. I suspect this BDR will be that amount of combination, but I don't want to find a muddy section of this BDR and wind up in a pickle because the tires aren't so great, either. There are a ton of choices for the rear, but not many great ones for the front. Lots of people say the K60 and the E-07 fronts are slippery when wet and to avoid them. That rules out a lot of options for front tires that are at least as aggressive or more aggressive than most of the DS rears.

I think I might go a totally different route and buy a set of tires just for this trip. Shinko 804/805 tires probably that I'd wear for this trip and take back off when I get home. I can get a set of Shinko 804/805's for $200 that I won't care as much to burn up on I-81 as I would be burning up nicer DS tires when I'll be doing 95% street riding when I'm back at home.

I need to buy another KLR or a DR650 or XR650L for these kinds of DS trips. Africa Twin or 1090 are also on my future radar as a replacement for the Wee and would fill the role of a DS for these kinds of trips at the same time.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

[

Cool man, glad to have you along on the trip. It has been way too long since I had actually ridden with you. I remember that first time at Tasker's Gap!

I was wondering what bike you are bringing? The big Tiger or do you have a smaller thumper dualsport?
[/quote]

It has been a very long time since Taskers on my Yamaha wr250r!!! I still have so much to learn but Im happy to say that I am a little better of a rider since I was on that Yamaha.

I put 1020 miles on my KTM 350 exc last year and almost all on the dirt. This was in 9 months. I sold the Triumph, a Yamaha yzf and the 350 is on the way out the door. I now ride a 2018 500 exc which in rocky Taskers is probably too much bike for me but there are ways to calm down the newer bikes. But I will love it as a light Adventure bike that I can handle and I absolutely cannot wait to go to Hatfield, Shenandoah 500 or any other fast trails.
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

BDMaha wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 am I now ride a 2018 500 exc which in rocky Taskers is probably too much bike for me but there are ways to calm down the newer bikes. But I will love it as a light Adventure bike that I can handle and I absolutely cannot wait to go to Hatfield, Shenandoah 500 or any other fast trails.
Wow! Those 500EXCs are pretty nuts. I think you will have the best bike for the trip. Maybe you can lead the charges down the dirt road sections.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BDMaha
DAMN Expert

Post by BDMaha »

"Wow! Those 500EXCs are pretty nuts. I think you will have the best bike for the trip. Maybe you can lead the charges down the dirt road sections."

I will arrogantly and stupidly say "DAMN YES!" ...but Ill be safe :thumbup:
2018 KTM 500 Exc-f
2017 Husky TX300
2016 Honda 500x RR
da scrub
DAMN Wanabe

Post by da scrub »

I may have to catch up the 1st day/night but I'll be bringing the S10 with Shinko 705s, good enough for everything but the more technical stuff.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

da scrub wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 pm I may have to catch up the 1st day/night but I'll be bringing the S10 with Shinko 705s, good enough for everything but the more technical stuff.

Thats fine. We will be staying in Marion VA the first night. You can burn down 81 and meet up that evening some time.

I did add one road to the route that is a little bit more than just a dirt road. Depending on how wet/muddy things are, you may want to by pass that one.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Bucho wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 pm
I did add one road to the route that is a little bit more than just a dirt road. Depending on how wet/muddy things are, you may want to by pass that one.
Do I recall you guys are starting in Damascus, VA (sorry I am not re-reading this whole thread and know nothing about this particular BDR)? But your above comment made something finally connect the dots in my brain.... If you are anywhere near Damascus and on a 650 or smaller bike, you should hit the single track in the Mt. Rogers Recreation area! Sam and I rode this on day 4 of the Blue Ridge Trail trip back in 2012 and it was the hardest and best part of the trip (well except for watching WF repeatedly crash in the mud and DaScrub submerge his entire bike in a giant mud-puddle). Let me know and I can send you the gps track of said single track....
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Skinny-J wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 pm
Bucho wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:15 pm
Do I recall you guys are starting in Damascus, VA (sorry I am not re-reading this whole thread and know nothing about this particular BDR)? But your above comment made something finally connect the dots in my brain.... If you are anywhere near Damascus and on a 650 or smaller bike, you should hit the single track in the Mt. Rogers Recreation area! Sam and I rode this on day 4 of the Blue Ridge Trail trip back in 2012 and it was the hardest and best part of the trip (well except for watching WF repeatedly crash in the mud and DaScrub submerge his entire bike in a giant mud-puddle). Let me know and I can send you the gps track of said single track....
So you're saying the Wee is good for that? :thumbup:
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Skinny-J wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 pm

I think we are skipping the first 30 miles of the route, but for the most part are riding the BDR back to Berkley Springs.

Let me look into this Mt Rogers area. I will be on the same crappy tires/wheels I had when we did your Alleghany dualsport trip. But if its not too far off route maybe!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

As benevolent dictator of this ride, we WILL be adding one dirt road that is a little more offroady than the rest. There can be some big mud holes if its rained recently. I believe this is the same road that Paul/DaScrub submarined his KLR on years ago w/ Skinny J, Patrick, and Sam. The route meets back up not too far down the road, should be easy for big bikes to bypass this and meet back up with the thumpers.

Now asking thoughts from the group. We will be spitting distance from Mount Rogers Recreation area. Somewhere in there is a section of single track that is legal for hikers, mt bikes, AND DIRTBIKES! It sounds like this is pretty legit single track and will NOT be big bike friendly. Thumpers w/ knobbies only.
It also sounds like this trail would take "a couple hours".
Sooo, the route that Jed suggested to get down there is WAY better than just burning it out on the highway BUT will take about 8 hours. So we could take a quicker route down (highway) on day 1 and try to do this at the end of the day...

Or do we do this first thing on Day 2? and just make this a longer day?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200