Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
User avatar
Rut Row
DAMN Admin
Reactions:
Posts: 8477
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:39 am

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by Rut Row » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:18 am

juddspaintballs wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 pm
I spotted Wingfixer in Bob's Tire today. I guess his flats aren't exclusive to dirt bikes alone.
:lol2: I'll bet WF can get a flat in a solid rubber tire :deal:
Ken
2019 Mystery Bike; EM Escape? Harley Road King? :shrug:
2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Adventure
2011 KTM 450 Xc-W Six Days (plated)
1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler (project)
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

User avatar
gots_a_sol
DAMN Wanabe
Reactions:
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:08 am

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by gots_a_sol » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:03 am

dirtygrunt wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 am


Are you tubeless? Why plug the tire? :shrug:
Forgive my ignorance, I don't get flats, I just bounce off rocks. :lol2:
He got that flat before the first test. Would have made for a long and miserable day. He did have tubliss so a pile of plugs and he was rolling again.

Solid Performance had a truck set up at the gas stop area to fix flats :lol2:
-Joe

09 Husky WR177
09 Yamha YZ250F
02 Kawi KX125

User avatar
Marylander
DAMN Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by Marylander » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:15 am

Here's my assessment of this enduro and how it went for me. The short version: I finished and that was enough this time. I'm really sore now.

The long version: this was just my 3rd time on the dirt bike this year (been kind of a traumatic year personally) so I knew I was out of shape for riding. My goal for the day was solely to get to the final check/to finish. I tend to get myself worked up for things like this so it was a relief to find that the first section was a transfer section and not a test. Turns out that's all I needed to mostly keep it together for the day, nerves-wise. Oh, also, I now know what transfer and test mean in the enduro context. :lol2:

Although I usually ride standing up I stayed seated most of the day thinking that would help with fatigue. After the fact I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not (and not just because of my mild monkey butt). I'm not a great rider standing and I'm worse when sitting. I'm still pretty sore all over today and my hip flexors are particularly sore from lifting my feet/boots on and off the pegs all day (made worse by the low seat). I need to do a long rocky ride standing up to compare. Most of my rides tend to be about half the distance of the moonshine where I got something over 70 miles by my computer. I'm sure I'll at least be sore in a different way compared to sitting most of the time. I'm half thinking of getting another mountain bike as it's a lot closer to riding the dirt bike than the running I'm doing now and I could do that more frequently than riding the dirt bike.

With the goal of just finishing in mind I tried to keep my pace moderate to avoid wearing myself out too much. In spite of that I still screwed up a few times, including once where I managed to go off the trail and get the rear end of the bike stuck in some big rocks, the front wheel down in a hole, and the bars wedged up against a tree. That ended up requiring me to lift the whole bike then drag it across the rocks to get back on the trail. I think this was on the 2nd test. Once I got through the check for that I was seriously considering packing it in as I was pretty exhausted already. This was only around 20 miles. :killingme: Skinny-J convinced me to keep going and I'm glad I did.

I think it was in the 3rd test section that there was a taskers-like hill climb (easy hill climb with some loose rocks on it). Towards the beginning of it I spun the rear end around a bit and was sitting sideways on the trail with the front end again wedged into a tree with the tree holding the throttle wide open. I got a bit excited at that point while rushing to get the bike out of the way of anyone coming behind. That set me up for screwing up a couple more times on that hill. At least I was able to get myself together once I was over the top. I think that was my last significant screw up of the day. From then on I moderated my pace even more. I did drop the bike a few additional times but at least I had no actual crashes all day and never had my body on the ground.

As far as the course it's really not too different from the stuff we normally ride around here. There are rocks everywhere but no real hardcore rock gardens. The tight tree sections are pretty similar to the tight tree sections at Shade, which would be a great place to practice. I sure wish it was closer though. There was one test (4th or 5th?) with a long, smooth, flowing section. I enjoyed that section a lot as it was like an oasis in the desert.

Anyway, I'm glad I did this and particularly glad that I pushed through to the end. There's a certain disappointment in looking at my pitiful score card but I met my only real goal of the day in making it to the finish. So, I'd call that success. Next time I'll be more prepared and will adjust my goals higher. Thanks to Joe and Jay for the help and encouragement along the way.

User avatar
Laoch
DAMN Grand Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:51 am

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by Laoch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:45 am

Start and finish with nothing broken and it's a good day.

What bike?
Bruce
2016 Freeride/'03 KLX 400/'13 CB500X

User avatar
Marylander
DAMN Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by Marylander » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:18 am

I rode my xtrainer. I sold both my kx250 and kdx220 earlier this year so it was either the xtrainer or a ttr125. :lol2:

User avatar
Nobody
DAMN Wanabe
Reactions:
Posts: 174
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:33 pm

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by Nobody » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 am

Marylander wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:15 am
Here's my assessment of this enduro and how it went for me. The short version: I finished and that was enough this time. I'm really sore now.

The long version: this was just my 3rd time on the dirt bike this year (been kind of a traumatic year personally) so I knew I was out of shape for riding. My goal for the day was solely to get to the final check/to finish. I tend to get myself worked up for things like this so it was a relief to find that the first section was a transfer section and not a test. Turns out that's all I needed to mostly keep it together for the day, nerves-wise. Oh, also, I now know what transfer and test mean in the enduro context. :lol2:

Although I usually ride standing up I stayed seated most of the day thinking that would help with fatigue. After the fact I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not (and not just because of my mild monkey butt). I'm not a great rider standing and I'm worse when sitting. I'm still pretty sore all over today and my hip flexors are particularly sore from lifting my feet/boots on and off the pegs all day (made worse by the low seat). I need to do a long rocky ride standing up to compare. Most of my rides tend to be about half the distance of the moonshine where I got something over 70 miles by my computer. I'm sure I'll at least be sore in a different way compared to sitting most of the time. I'm half thinking of getting another mountain bike as it's a lot closer to riding the dirt bike than the running I'm doing now and I could do that more frequently than riding the dirt bike.

With the goal of just finishing in mind I tried to keep my pace moderate to avoid wearing myself out too much. In spite of that I still screwed up a few times, including once where I managed to go off the trail and get the rear end of the bike stuck in some big rocks, the front wheel down in a hole, and the bars wedged up against a tree. That ended up requiring me to lift the whole bike then drag it across the rocks to get back on the trail. I think this was on the 2nd test. Once I got through the check for that I was seriously considering packing it in as I was pretty exhausted already. This was only around 20 miles. :killingme: Skinny-J convinced me to keep going and I'm glad I did.

I think it was in the 3rd test section that there was a taskers-like hill climb (easy hill climb with some loose rocks on it). Towards the beginning of it I spun the rear end around a bit and was sitting sideways on the trail with the front end again wedged into a tree with the tree holding the throttle wide open. I got a bit excited at that point while rushing to get the bike out of the way of anyone coming behind. That set me up for screwing up a couple more times on that hill. At least I was able to get myself together once I was over the top. I think that was my last significant screw up of the day. From then on I moderated my pace even more. I did drop the bike a few additional times but at least I had no actual crashes all day and never had my body on the ground.

As far as the course it's really not too different from the stuff we normally ride around here. There are rocks everywhere but no real hardcore rock gardens. The tight tree sections are pretty similar to the tight tree sections at Shade, which would be a great place to practice. I sure wish it was closer though. There was one test (4th or 5th?) with a long, smooth, flowing section. I enjoyed that section a lot as it was like an oasis in the desert.

Anyway, I'm glad I did this and particularly glad that I pushed through to the end. There's a certain disappointment in looking at my pitiful score card but I met my only real goal of the day in making it to the finish. So, I'd call that success. Next time I'll be more prepared and will adjust my goals higher. Thanks to Joe and Jay for the help and encouragement along the way.
Kinda reminds me my day. Also tried to keep moderate speed, but soon realized I'm miserably slow :D. Except that I didn't drop my bike once, just came close to it couple of times. Tried to stand up, but at one moment I was so exhausted :knary: that I could stand only for a few seconds when it looked like I will crash otherwise. Kept sitting and bouncing on the bike :D. Those tight turns with trees on inside were really wearing me out - I have no idea how to do it like a boss. Other guys just passed me sitting all the time and were gone in 10 sec :think:

Luckily SJ got a flat and I helped him - took some pics and tried to get me back in business lying nearby, also trying to joke about his flat :killingme: . Didn't help much with the score card, but I rested enough to ride again and after that never got that exhausted, still was sitting more than I would want, but I could stand up where it was easier (no accel and uphill) or where hillclimbs looked like they will challenge me too much if I would sit.

Consumed about 6 liters of water/gatorade and did sweat it all out :knary: except a small portion that went out other way :jack:

All in all it was an adventure and a challenge and I'm happy I did it. Of course my time is much worse than for anyone else who did finish even in my group (CS) but I did finish and that is cool. I also got my result displayed on the website now. Because of my flat I'm one of the few who had points on first check :killingme:
dirtygrunt wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 am
Are you tubeless? Why plug the tire? :shrug:
Forgive my ignorance, I don't get flats, I just bounce off rocks. :lol2:
I dk what did I hit, but it was on the road right before the first check braking pretty hard for a turn to a trail. It was sunny with plenty of shadows from leaves and I never saw what was that, but it was a hard hit and after few seconds when I turned in to a trail I immediately felt that front felt funny - wouldn't turn easy. Looked at it and flat it was. A couple hundred ft further there were all waiting for their row so I rolled in and realized I have only half of needed things to fix my flat, luckily there were more experienced guys (WF :killingme: ) around and I got the glue and pump.
If I wasn't tubliss idk if I would be able to continue, I have a hard time to change a tube at home :lol2:

SJ kept telling me it's the bike not the rider in my case, but I still think I wouldn't do much better on a real enduro bike :). Except if it would take those tight turns magically for me and would hold me when I can't hold on by myself standing on the uphills :killingme:

I'm not too sore today and I think I will do rides like this again. Perhaps I'll even learn something one day. But I would need some theory before. On this ride I was just "wtf - how they can ride so fast here". Or is it just :chicken: :shrug:
Every day is a good day when you ride

User avatar
Skinny-J
DAMN Grand Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 1226
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by Skinny-J » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Rut Row wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:18 am
juddspaintballs wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 pm
I spotted Wingfixer in Bob's Tire today. I guess his flats aren't exclusive to dirt bikes alone.
:lol2: I'll bet WF can get a flat in a solid rubber tire :deal:
You should tread lightly, it was your former tire that exploded on him on I-81..... :think:

User avatar
Rut Row
DAMN Admin
Reactions:
Posts: 8477
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:39 am

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by Rut Row » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Skinny-J wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm
Rut Row wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:18 am
juddspaintballs wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 pm
I spotted Wingfixer in Bob's Tire today. I guess his flats aren't exclusive to dirt bikes alone.
:lol2: I'll bet WF can get a flat in a solid rubber tire :deal:
You should tread lightly, it was your former tire that exploded on him on I-81..... :think:
don't tell me he mounted the spare with the dry rot and huge sidewall tear :barf:
Ken
2019 Mystery Bike; EM Escape? Harley Road King? :shrug:
2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Adventure
2011 KTM 450 Xc-W Six Days (plated)
1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler (project)
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

User avatar
Laoch
DAMN Grand Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 1999
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:51 am

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by Laoch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Nobody wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 am
On this ride I was just "wtf - how they can ride so fast here". Or is it just :chicken: :shrug:
:lol2: That's like every time I ride.
Bruce
2016 Freeride/'03 KLX 400/'13 CB500X

User avatar
Skinny-J
DAMN Grand Poohba
Reactions:
Posts: 1226
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Re: Moonshine Enduro - 9/24

Post by Skinny-J » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Kirk and Janis,

You both should take great satisfaction in completing this enduro. IMHO, Monshine, RORR and Michaux are the 3 rockiest enduros and its not that any one thing is that hard, its just that the rocks are relentless and keep coming at you all day long. A lot of the sections seemed to have new trail that was just cut into the flora so that meant what soil was there was now churned up onto the rocks by the 240 riders before us making them slippery rocks and even trickery!

Yes, it is amazing how fast some of the other riders are. Many of them are also much younger than us with rubber-bones. However, what you didn't see is all the riders who are too chicken shit, out of shape, wife won't let em, it's too far to drive, yadda, yadda who you beat from the first second because you came out and rode and they didn't!

:cheers:

SJ

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests