I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Hill Climb at Mountain Ridge

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Hill Climb at Mountain Ridge

Post by J&J »

Yup don't know what gear I was in probably 3rd chasin the wingman :lol2:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

BamBam wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:45 am When you approach a long hill like this, what is a good gear selection? Do you ever downshift on a long uphill, or do you start with the gear you think you'll need at the top?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
It can really depend on many factors. Second might be a decent "rule of thumb" (at least till you get more experience and can guess better for yourself). Second is often low enough and you can use your clutch to bring your revs up as needed.
I will down shift when I need to on a big hill. I know many times in the past I would down shift too late and not use the clutch enough and stall after getting it into first.

Dirtygrunt had a good suggestion. The Aussie guy (Barry) who does the Crosstraining Enduro videos is great! His vids are well worth the time to watch and think about just before and after you go for a ride.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Post by anotherguy »

Hills are the main reason I've been riding big bore MX bikes forever. Momentum and a big fat midrange hit are my keys to hitting a big hill with no worries. 3rd gear @ the middle of the power so as it steepens you're only a twist away from mo power. Stand up for shock absorption and look ahead for obstacles and line alternatives.
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

On my DRZ 3rd was not working, had to downshift in the middle where there is smth like a step. For me it wasn't really hard, there was a great traction even after rainy night and with my worn rear tire, just had to keep myself balanced on those rocks. On 2nd gear it was easy, not even too exciting after a couple of runs, I liked better the shorter climb between Deer Pen and North South trail
Every day is a good day when you ride