I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Michaux Dual Sport Aug 20th

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Michaux Dual Sport Aug 20th

Post by Laoch »

So...good day. Got to see most everybody....2nd option took some folks a long time (picking up bikes is hard work) and other folks ran it three times....A husky died...Jed conquered his nemesis option and we lost Jim in the process. Ummmm :shrug: Good eats :deal: We all made it back and the mother f*cking green drz died after I had ice cream..that bike is cursed.
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

dirtygrunt wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:41 pm Thats' my helmet :killingme:
is that all that was left after the first crash? :knary:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

This event marks another year of my off-road riding experience. This is my 4th Michaux DS. My first year, I was on the KLR-250 (kick only) and I did what was option 10 today with it. That ended with me way off in the woods jammed up against a rotten log while I got stung about a dozen times by ground hornets. I did eventually finish that option that year, a couple hours later.

Well, today I did that option again and I convinced Gene and Jim to follow me. It was not easy, but we all finished that option with our bikes in tact and no hornet stings. Some of the others on that trail were calling it a mini Erzberg, but I didn't think it was quite that bad. Jim did get separated from us and other people said he turned around and went back. Jim finally reappeared at Bruce's base camp after Bruce and I got back there.

Bruce's base camp is excellent. 4.9 miles from the Michaux starting parking lot and a lot less crowded. Camp fire, private poop bucket, accent mood lighting.

Good day of riding. I did wind up with a rear flat tire about 20 miles from the finish. I decided to keep riding with it since Tubliss would keep it on the rim and the tire was pretty well trashed anyways. What great traction I had!
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Rode the 650s up this morning & wasn't really feeling it when we got there.....
Decided to just take it easy & decide as we went on options. We did a couple options with Jim following & Jacob navigating. He did really well until he didn't.... :lol2:

After lunch we found ourselves on a Michaux Enduro trail by mistake. Saw 4 other guys on the trail who figured out where we were & what we did wrong. They said it was an 8 mile trail, it was very rocky & rough. :knary:

Well we were making out way along when I noticed my seat was loose......

This is what I found...

Obviously must have at least been partially cracked already & that trail finished it off. This frame had a crack when I got the bike & I put the gussets in. Well I've got some more welding to do :killingme:

Anyway we called it a day after that & rode home.

All in all we had fun & saw lots of DAMN guys.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

That's not good, J! Do it right and buy some DOM and a tubing bender and go to town making a proper sub frame now. You can incorporate luggage racks into it even.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Well I need to think about it a bit. It is part of the main frame & doesn't unbolt. I was thinking about some plugs on the inside but it probably would break where they end. DOM crossed my mind but would involve a good amount of work to replace what's there. If I make one part stronger the next part will probably break. Some of these frames break in the main cradle too..... I can always weld the back section again as needed ha ha.

Bolt on subframe :think:
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Had a great day as everyone else!
Arrived at Bruce's secret base camp Saturday night, too late for riding but just in time to have some beers and :kumbaya:
Btw, Bruce had a excellent alarm in the morning. Too bad it died after an ice cream :lol2:
Then getting rider's pack (I like the t shirt), passing a monstrous hard -to-pass tech inspection ending with intricate signature from medieval times.
Then relaxed ride to breakfast, there we met other guys and I decided to stay with WF as other guys were planning to do only some of the options. Shaun did the same. Pretty optimal group of 3.
Didn't have a clue what those C/B/B+ trail levels mean so checked right away at the breakfast loop. Found out that B means first sweat. Later in the day discovered that B+ means a boiling bike :killingme:
I think we did all the options before the lunch and a couple after, but I was just following WF :angel:

Guys, it's a nice dark joy, when you wait for10min until your drz cools down and observe a guy on a Beta 2-stroke fighting with that B+ hill. And then start your bike and just pass him working out a bit but happy :) (and no, it wasn't a WF :killingme: ).
We finished early as WF had to go. When I found the secret camouflaged Bruce's camp and took of my gear only then I realised how tired I was.
But then a heartbreak of a day - Bruce, Jed and Jim come back and tell me about that "option 10" so tempting that I almost started to put my gear back on to go and see it myself :frustrated:

And yes, I admit, I was following WF just to count the flats he's getting. Counted up to 0, then grew tired of counting and stopped :huh:

I have about 60gigs out video, when I will make smth out of it, it is a mystery not known even to my wife let alone me :killingme:

Big thanks to WF for guiding, gas and water :cheers:
And to Bruce for base camp and to other guys for a great company :cheers:
And to Nicole or whoever that was for answering my email after a while and barely getting me registered (296 out of 300) :lol2:
Every day is a good day when you ride
rclangelan
DAMN n00b

Post by rclangelan »

Fun day. This was my first Michaux Dual Sport ride... actually it was my first "organized" ride ever. I was riding with two buddies, one of which is a 73 year old gentleman who had no interest in taking the options. Since he was not the one navigating, we had to bypass most of the optional sections, of which I had hoped to hit all of them. I'll definitely do this ride again next year, but I'll stick with the DAMN jerseys and hit the whole thing.

I did hit the optional loop at the breakfast site. That was fun.
Ryan | Sykesville, MD | 2015 CRF250L
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

rclangelan wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:03 am I was riding with two buddies, one of which is a 73 year old gentleman who had no interest in taking the options.
hook him up with BigBird (Sam). Sam, your what ... 82 now? Sam will show him how to ride like a kid :deal:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

This OFG had a GREAT time yesterday - courtesy of Rusty Thornley and Joe Roberts!
Rusty said he was tired after JUST returning from a strenuous Jet Ski vacation and was content to have ME lead :shrug: and follow at my modest pace.
The BEAUTY of this is that when I dropped my KTM 200 the YOUNG STRONG Rusty or Joe was right there to pick it up for me :loveit:
Also, NO DUST which is quite a change for someone that is used to being always LAST!

We ended up doing all the options and 130 miles (including a few small off course excursions - courtesy of ME). The only option that gave us major trouble was the last one along the fence row. It seems you fast folks that were in front of us tracked slippery mud all over some of those rocks near the top. :nono:

Due to the "Rusty/Joe Bike Pick-Up service" I wasn't even real tired and joined the QOFE and my daughter and grandkids for a nice dinner out afterwards.
Last edited by BigBird on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike