I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Ride thoughts for 3/11 ????

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Ride thoughts for 3/11 ????

Post by Madizm »

Hi all,

I finally have a free day without kids sports games where I am able to get out and ride again. (3/11). I have 3 guys (2 not DAMN members) who are committed to this day as well. Just looking to see what anyone has planned? We are tentatively looking at Wicomico Sports Park. The Cove is prob not gonna be on our list as its 2.5 hours away. It was fun last time but its a hike for a few hours of riding.

Anyone getting out on this day?
2011 KTM 450 six days- parting out
2005 Honda CRF250f
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: Ride thoughts for 3/11 ????

Post by Skinny-J »

Depends on what you want to ride, Wicomico obviously is more geared towards the track but has a few other trails. However, from Perry Hall, its about 2 hours to Wicomico; in the same 2 hours you could be at Shade Mountain. Shade Mountain is good, tough rocky PA single track. Again, it depends on what you want to ride....
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

And I guess this means you aren't going to make the Greenbriar with us.....
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Madizm »

Skinny-J wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:03 pm And I guess this means you aren't going to make the Greenbriar with us.....
Honestly I'd love to try the Greenbriar event. My buddy Jim may be on board as well. I'm a little nervous honestly not knowing what to expect not taking part in an enduro. I'm not nervous about the ride difficulty, just the rules, etiquette, how to prepare type of thing.
2005 Honda CRF250f
Madizm
DAMN Wanabe

Post by Madizm »

http://ecea.org/ecea/?page_id=1762

Just read up on the time keeping and there is alot here to take in. What do most do to keep track? Use enduro computers? If I go I would like to be prepared.
2005 Honda CRF250f
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Yeah, it seems daunting but its really not that bad. To really get into it you can pick up a nice ICO computer that will tell you everything once you program the average speeds, distance, time, etc. However, to just get the flavor of an Enduro, all you really need is a re-setable odometer, a watch and a roll chart holder; and then get on a row with someone who knows what they are doing. You almost need to follow along on the roll chart in real life to see how the time and distance flow but then it will make sense...

The Greenbriar is a time keeping event so its a little more tricky than one with all start controls. With start controls you just set off on your minute (they count it down for you) and ride as fast as you can and the times are set so even the AA guys couldn't burn a check. However with Time keeping events you need to watch your clock and roll chart much closer as it will be mostly up to you to start each section on your minute. One way to gauge this is to look at the numbers on the bikes that are sitting at the start waiting to go. If they are lower than your number, just wait.

For your first enduro, I wouldn't worry about scoring so much and just enjoy the event. You will get to ride the exact same trail either way!!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Greenbrier is not a technical ride in the sense of having really tough hill climbs where you might not make it. They do have some tight sections where you may have to slow way down and "wag the bars" through the pines.
You dont need the fancy computer. A rollchart and a watch is sufficient. And honestly, you really dont NEED to keep time. My last couple races, for various reasons I didnt bother. I lost some points bc I burned a check or two but seriously who cares. I had an awesome day riding out on trails that were totally new to me.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

Skinny-J wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:31 pm Yeah, get on a row with someone who knows what they are doing.
Then you can blame S-J..... err whoever is supposed to know what there doing when you burn some checks
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

J&J wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:31 pm
Skinny-J wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:31 pm Yeah, get on a row with someone who knows what they are doing.
Then you can blame S-J..... err whoever is supposed to know what there doing when you burn some checks
Ha! I'm glad I didn't say that. :lol2:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

And sometimes if you get on a row with someone who knows what the hell they are doing you can get yourself one of these :rickey:

-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0