I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

WR250R LIVES!

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

WR250R LIVES!

Post by BigBird »

My first dirt bike - after I retired in 2009 and decided to see IF I could still ride after a 25+ year absence - was a 2008 WR250R I bought used.
It was a VERY nice DS bike with a wide ratio 6 speed and just enough power (after some mods) to "cruse" at 70 and still be able to do tight trails with no gearing changes. I added a Revlock autoclutch, LHRB, FMH Power Bomb pipe and muffler, Power Comander V and Autotune FI mods, Scotts steering damper, heated grips and power for a heated jacket, Tubliss, Rick Mayer custom seat, bark busters, headlight modulator and GREAT suspension - after rework by the top suspension tuners in the US.

After 3K miles (including Skinny Jay's FABULOUS 6 Day BRT adventure) and several DS rides, etc. it was STOLEN from in front of my garage.

About 2 years later (after I'd replaced it with my KTM 525 and bought a KTM 200) someone turned it in to the Sheriff and I got it back! They had removed all the plastic and done MAJOR damage to the ignition, etc. trying to get it started BUT never did - AND all the parts were with the bike. (someone had given it to a guy in settlement of a debt - and that is the guy that turned it in).

Then I left it out in the rain with no seat or plastic for about 5 years :shrug:

Bucho saw it in my yard a couple of months ago and offered to put it in HIS garage - which basically SHAMED me into trying to revive it.

SO I spent MAJOR time and $ replacing the ignition switch and wiring, fuel pump, throttle cables, battery, rear tire, steering bearings and cleaning and lubing every one of the around 50 electrical connectors and flushing the brakes, etc., etc., etc. Finally , last week, after MANY MANY failed tries, it started and SORT OF ran!
So I finally got it to running good enough to test it and took it with me to the Cove last Sat.

Although the FI still needs a little tuning - I was able to make a couple a laps of the Green Trail and it did GREAT!
The suspension is as good as I'd remembered and the bike felt GREAT in the Blue/Green trail rocks!

NOT sure what I'm going to do with it - since I have 3 tagged KTMs that more than cover every kind of riding it's capable of - BUT it's NICE to have it back. THANKS BUCHO!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: WR250R LIVES!

Post by gots_a_sol »

I'm noticing a trend here where you leave bikes outside to die. Me thinks you need a bigger garage :lol2:

That is cool you got it back after it was stolen though. Not usually how that ends.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Glad you got it going again Sam.

Im still happy to store it (and occasionally ride it) for you!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

gots_a_sol wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 pm I'm noticing a trend here where you leave bikes outside to die. Me thinks you need a bigger garage :lol2:

That is cool you got it back after it was stolen though. Not usually how that ends.
I actually have 2 garages - one is one car+ wide and 2 cars deep and one is a biggish 1 car garage - BUT I have LOTS of projects and toys - like rebuilding my 1960 BugEye AH Sprite - SO my dirt bikes have to live outside :shrug:

I actually had 3 other bikes stolen a few years ago and got all 3 back - I AM the LUCKIEST MAN ALIVE! :loveit:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I've had 2 bikes stolen and gotten both of them back. However, the first was recovered at the bottom of a large creek after about a week and the other was recovered a couple months later laying totalled in the middle of the street. No luck for me.