I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Kentucky Adventure Trail (KAT) June 19-25, 2017

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Kentucky Adventure Trail (KAT) June 19-25, 2017

Post by Bucho »

Day Three started almost right off with offroad. We rode part of the Sheltowee Trace. (Sheltowee is Shawnee for "big turtle", apparently its what they called Daniel Boone) It is a long backcountry discovery route that goes from TN way up into Kentucky. The entire thing is a hiking trail, however part of it allows dirtbikes!!!!!
It was some really nice single track. While not really hard, it was hard enough on our big dualsports.

Sorry, I didn't get more pics of the singletrack.

This area also had a ton of Eastern Box Turtles. I almost hit this guy and stopped to move him off the trail. I tried to get a photo op and he refused to cooperate.

A very pretty stream w/ the rocks along the Sheltowee.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Late morning and on and off through out the afternoon we got a fair amount of rain on Day 3

After lunch we did a really sweet option.

Especially with the rain, there were plenty of slick spots both rocks and clay.

Now it was my turn to get stuck in a quicksand like mud hole. I would have never made it out of this by myself. You could hardly get off the bike and the mud would just about suck your boots off. Thank you everyone for coming back to rescue me.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

There was quite a bit of free range animals alongside and wandering around in the roads at times. Horses, cows, and dogs.

Most of the dogs were bigger, but here is a little one that Brent stopped to pet.

We were all soaked by the end of this day and happy to finally get to the hotel. Our DAMN group pretty much took over the hotel's laundry room that evening. Some of us also changed out brake pads too.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

This happened to me very early on Day Four.

The bearing in my cush hub was defeated by the copious amounts of water/mud/grit (and I probably should have changed it out before this trip). During a fragging down pour I was able to zip tie the sprocket directly to the spokes. It was about 200 hundred mile back to Matewan where my van was parked. Maybe it would have worked but I was a little afraid to try and ride it that far.

I ended up riding it about 40+ miles to a LaFollete TN where I could find a car rental place. I then drove back to Williamson to drop off the car, then got a ride over to nearby Matewan. Then drove the van back to get my bike, and then back to Matewan. It was a long day of driving. I got to bed in the JAT on one of Jay's comfy cots a little past midnight.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I was able to salvage a pretty good final day on our trip. I had by Beta in the back of the van. I ended up doing a solo Buffalo Mtn trail ride.

The light weight little Xtrainer felt pretty amazing after riding the big Suzuki the past few days. They have a new single track trail since I was there last (171). I felt I had to give it a try.

This was interesting to squeeze between the gas line and the huge rock. There wasn't enough room for my legs. I put my right knee up on the seat and my left boot slid along the gas line...

Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I cant remember all the number but I rode some of the other sweet single track there. I was trying to be extra careful since I was by myself and one hill did give some trouble but compared to riding the Suzuki, the little Beta was amazing.

Probably would have been easy with a little push from someone, but took some time and energy by myself.

A cool rocky ridge top
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

This was such a great trip. We are already talking about maybe doing it again maybe backwards.

Just a few final pics.

Crazy kudzu

Brent working on the KTM.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Very nice guys. I'll have to get the wr set up for one of these...
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Nobody wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:17 amP.S. how/if can I insert full quality pics? What's the size limit it would allow to drag'n'drop in browser?
you don't. The website host is a cheap bastard and won't pay for the extra storage required. :doh:

Use something like SmugMug and then insert the link.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
rurumonster
DAMN Wanabe

Post by rurumonster »

Great pictures, looks like you all had an amazing time. That rocky trail you rode on the Beta looks gnarly as hell.
Husqvarna TE 300
KTM SMR