Sponsored by Pennsylvania Off-Highway Vehicle Association, ATV Safety Institute, Motorcycle Safety Foundation, and Department of Conservation Natural Resources
The Rules of the Trail
1. Take an OHV Safety Course
2. Wear Approved Safety Gear
3. Respect Riding Area Rules, Other Users, and PA Law
4. Ride in Control and Within Your Abilities
5. Ride with Landowner’s Permission and Respect Others
6. Obey Signage
7. Let Someone Know Where You are Going and When You Will Return
8. Always Stay on the Trail and Never Chase Wildlife
9. Use and Maintain an Approved Spark Arrestor
10. Never Ride Under the Influence of Alcohol and Drugs
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, “All-Terrain Vehicles may present a risk of death or severe injury in certain circumstances.” Over 3500 people, including many children, have died in accidents associated with ATV’s since 2004. Many people have become severely paralyzed or suffered severe injuries as a result of accidents associated with OHV’s. Every month thousands of people are treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries received while riding an OHV. Accidents occur for many reasons. It is PaOHV’s hopes that these numbers will decrease as more people take a certified safety course. For more information on PaOHV Safety Weekend call 717-532-6439.
PaOHV is looking for volunteers to help with its Safety Week on June 13th & 14th. Positions ranging from Greater to Instructor are needed. No experience required just the desire to help make the operation of OHVs safer. For more information on PaOHV Safety Weekend call 717-532-6439.