I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Frederick dualsport/motard ride, 4/6

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Teethgrinder

Re: Frederick dualsport/motard ride, 4/6

Post by Teethgrinder »

On the way home from said 7-11, I found that I very much enjoy Mt. Phillip Rd after Butterfly Rd. I missed Butterfly (the road back towards my side of town) and kept on Mt. Phil. and was greeted with a very pleasant, swoopy, bendy ride by accident. :

I'll make that mistake more often now. :ride: :ride: :ride:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Well Mt Philip Road will be part of our warm up.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

The radar shows the weather clearing. Roads are drying over here. The dirt roads will still be damp but that will only slow Bucho down, not us slow pokes! My thermometer shows 47 at 0857. 1045 would work. Noon will have more sun.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:The radar shows the weather clearing. Roads are drying over here. The dirt roads will still be damp but that will only slow Bucho down, not us slow pokes! My thermometer shows 47 at 0857. 1045 would work. Noon will have more sun.
Nice. I am good for 1045. :ride:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Just got home so I can do 1045. I was sort of voting for a 2 hour delay for the roads to dry.
I'll check back here in 15- 20 minutes. If I here nothing, I'll see you guys at 1045.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:Just got home so I can do 1045. I was sort of voting for a 2 hour delay for the roads to dry.
I'll check back here in 15- 20 minutes. If I here nothing, I'll see you guys at 1045.
I vote the 2 hour delay. I'm running a little behind. :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Two hour delay sounds good to me.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

Hell. Already here . I will check back.

Edit: Back home now. :ride:
Teethgrinder

Post by Teethgrinder »

Frederick dualsport/motard ride, 4/6 Results!

Well, after a short rain delay, Bucho's DS/Motard ride came to pass this afternoon. While the weather never truly "cleared up", it did so at least enough to allow for a fantastic Sunday afternoon, however murky.

I wish I could report exactly what route we took, or what roads were traveled, but in the course of keeping up with Bucho (to some degree), I was pretty much lost for the duration of the ride. We left the 7-11 at around 12:45 and traveled up Mt. Philip Road, which is a nice place to scrub in the tire a bit. For most of the day, I was mucho concerned about the abilities of the stock Dunlop 208's on my DRZ, but in all reality, these tires will outperform my own riding abilities any day.

After Mt. Philip, it was just a matter of trailing Bucho to the best of our ability. KLRRider and I stayed withing view of each other, and Bucho was kind enough to hold up occasionally to let us gain back some ground. Through moderate twisties and then light (but wet) dirt roads, my own tires seemed to hang in there pretty well, a little drifting (my own fault) aside. KLRRider, on the big green KLR, seemed to have a nice bite into the mud and gravel. (I found myself a bit jealous when the surface deteriorated).

Somehow, along the way, we picked up Lou. Lou had with him a badass KTM Adventure, and very much knew what to do with it. After our own route, Lou suggested further exploration when we made a fueling stop.

After the fuel. Lou brought us through faster twisties (faster, I think, because he was moving much faster, with Bucho right in step). I found myself trailing a bit further now, as I am still not overly-confident with my cornering ability on anything less than perfect asphalt. Luckily, the DAMN gang never made me feel as if I had to push it further than I was comfortable with, and when they had to wait a second or look back, they were very understanding.

Lou and Bucho led us to what looked to be a closed road disappearing into the forest near Sugarloaf Mt. A man raking his yard at the corner gave us the stink-eye as we turned onto the road, but on we went. The "road" ended at a wide, moving stream. Now, throughout the ride, we had crossed a couple creeks already, but this was the first that would qualify as a real ford (fjord!).

The stream was crossed on foot, kind of to feel it out to see how much fun it would be to ride a through.

After a few minutes of consideration, it was decided that we should all at least cross to the island in the middle, for a photo opportunity if nothing else.

Bucho jumped on for the first crack at it. He and Lou seemed to have the most experience with such things. KLRRider followed without issue.

My turn! Keep in mind, my experience with anything offroad is minimal. In fact today's ride was probably the most adventuresome I've ever been with a motorbike. Nonetheless, my three riding companions were now in the middle of the stream, therefore I must be too. Off I go. It turned out pretty well. I felt my wheels skitter around on the rocks in the creek-bed, and had to get my feet down to avoid "horizontalizing" my little DRZ, but ultimately I popped out onto the island totally upright and mostly dry. Success. And a good time for photos utilizing a found signpost as a makeshift tripod.

Now, the other side of the stream looked a little deeper and more daunting. After more thought, Bucho decided to carry on across, if nothing more than to say it was done. It looked dicey getting out on the slick bank, but his DR remained on it's feet, and Bucho did not wash away down stream.

Lou followed on the Big KTM without issue (other than filling a perfecty good set of Sidi roadrace boots with water). If I had to pick a bike to get wet, that would be it.

Time to get back. The DAMN convoy crossed back (un-forded?) one by one, all without issue.

Even I had less trouble getting across on the way back. Practice makes perfect...

Time to part ways, everyone split off at different spots upon the return route.
I must thank DAMN, Bucho, KLRRider, and Lou The Mystery Rider for arranging a fantastic Sunday ride, and welcoming me. My discomfort and awkwardness around other people is sometimes severe, but these guys made it a fun, low pressure, enjoyable day.
I never felt that I had to ride outside of my skills, and wasn't made to feel self-conscious about my "peculiarities".

Thanks, DAMN guys, for a great time and a dirty bike! :rickey:

PS: Bucho would have to supply further detail and route info. I don't think I could retrace that path for money. :mrgreen:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Great write-up Scott! I had a great time guys! Thanks! Attached is the track and route from the ride. Enjoyed the creek crossings.

Scott - when you want to do it again but at a speed where we can see the scenery - holler!
Attachments
Motard_20080406.gdb
Todays route and track
(92.77 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Ken