I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Thats crazy... so crazy it just might work.

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
John L
DAMN n00b

Thats crazy... so crazy it just might work.

Post by John L »

Thanks to some of you guys and as a surprise to me, I am discovering some great riding opportunities very near my house in PA. In light of that, my very best riding days thus far have been spent out in the western US. I am a daydreamer with a track record of doing the unexpected at times and I am not getting any younger. I can't fully wrap my mind around this impromptu plan I have so I would like ask you guys what's wrong with this train of thought....

There's more to it than this, but, as long as I had the permission of my wife, kids, and family.. and as long as my work is under control...

I would pack a small bag and my backpack with needed provisions and a small roll-up tent.

Leave Dulles on a plane bound for CA, AZ, or UT. Arrive and purchase a brand new or very lightly used (non CA smog equipped) DRZ 400.

Get a temp plate, a rack, some gas, whatever provisions I need that were not allowed on the plane.

Ride as I wish for a week or two - rent a Uhaul pickup truck if highway distances prove too much on the bike from place to place.

Once it's out of my system, I would either rent a small storage unit and keep the bike out there to facilitate at least one more trip within the next year -or- crate the bike and have Uship bring it back home here for me.

Fly back home.

I'm looking for any thoughts, ideas, advice, embellishments, war stories, or basically any info that would save me grief, save money, keep me from being robbed, or keep me from dying alone in the desert.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: Thats crazy... so crazy it just might work.

Post by Wingfixer »

The only problem I see with your plan, (and this might be unique to me) I would have a really hard time coming back. Good luck and be sure to post a ride report!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

:thumbup:

or....

Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

If you are only talking about a week or two, you might want to look into just renting a bike.

My only experience w/ this was a place in Scottsdale AZ. My wife and I rented a big R1200GS and we did a four day trip around southern AZ. We had a great time and obviously didn't do any real offroading. But the people we rented from set us up w/ some great routes and each day we at least did some off pavement riding. We did a few dirtroad passes through mountains, really great 2UP adventure riding.
When we brought the bike back I was looking at the rest of their fleet. They had two very nicely prepped Suzuki DR650s w/ knobbies, upgraded suspension, and sturdy looking panniers.
I remember thinking in my head, that I would like to come back again except get one of those DR650s and do less pavement and more dirt.

There was another ride report in here, where a DAMN guy (and buddy) rented a WR250F and a CRF230L and did some riding in the desert while their wives were at a conference in Vegas.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I haven't done the math, but I would still think you would come ahead just driving yourself out there. Get a buddy to go along and split gas money and driving duty...

But in the mean time, why don't you come to Hatfield McCoy with us this year. I'm planning a trip in April and there are some other DAMN and ADVrider guys going later in the year, (June?).
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

There are guys that do like you do all of the time. Some even come from other countries. Some of those guys will allow you to use their bike as well. Post up in ADV and you might get lucky enough to borrow a bike for the cost of keeping up the maintenance on it.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
John L
DAMN n00b

Post by John L »

All interesting concepts. very cool, and thanks! I have since come across some of the posts on ADV mentioning this very thing. Very cool the solutions some folks have come up with.

I have been thinking this for a couple years now. I have rented dual sports, dirt bikes, Harley's, sand rails, and even quads in the west over the last several years. We've had particularly bad luck with getting junk rentals out there and I always make a resolution to get my own equipment out there next time.

Yes the fella here that had the recent trip to Utah sparked it all off again for me. Looking into the rental outfit he used, I think they have some decent bikes available.

I had been seriously thinking about getting a new toy here. That's why I mentioned the DRZ400. My train of thought was that if I am gonna buy that anyway, maybe the timing of a trip West would make for a good time.

I kinda obsessively check Kayak for air fare all the time and I can usually fly Dulles to LAX, round trip for less than $250/person, non-stop at about $350. Driving out makes good sense in some ways.. I do have a brother in law that is as anxious as me to get back out there, but it also serves to wear down my energy I have reserved for the fun... and the trip home.. I don't want to face that or take up the precious time.

Bucho, thanks for the gracious invite to H/M. I am going to do my best to take you up on that. Will have to stall my commitment just a while to get a grip on my getting away. I will follow the thread and keep in touch. It sounds like a blast.