I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Taskers Gap ride Friday 12/26 (with 12/27 as a fall-back)

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Taskers Gap ride Friday 12/26 (with 12/27 as a fall-back)

Post by Rut Row »

Stevens wrote:Made it home after dark and found the only noticable damage from the 'mud slides'. Some how I tweaked the slot the pin drops into to lock the bars; a little cursing :censored: later and it works once again. I'll have to post photos of the 640 napping latter.
The ride home over Shanandoah back roads was a hoot, except for the mist/rain near Skyline Dr. (luckily it wasn't icing yet.)

It sure was great to off-road again. Thanks for the ride and the hot meal :eats: .
Thanks for joining us and wow - you did great on that 640 Adventure - those roads got seriously slimy and I'm looking forward to your picks. Be very very glad you didn't even think of riding the rocks. I called RRob everything but a mature Caucasian male the whole time I was flailing away - but I'm glad I did it - I needed to be pushed. :knary:

And weren't the BuchoBrawts great! :kbasa:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Jay, Thanks for putting the ride together, it was a blast. The rocks don't seem so bad now - that I am amped up on Advil and Alieve. Hopefully next time I will survive to see the other side of the trails! A few pics of our adventure:

F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

gtop wrote:
mdubya wrote:Looking forward to the reports. I spent Xmas sick on the couch and I am in no condition to ride today. I am jealous though.
Too many of the high proof egg noggs??? :cheers:
Apparently not enough to kill whatever virus was/is making me miserable.

I did get to ride restukey's new to him '04/'05 AMA spec KTM 450 SMS today. I felt better as soon as I climbed aboard. I immediately wanted to do anything that looked like a bad idea. So I pronounce it a ripper. :roost:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Was nice to meet some of you. That was one rough ride today. The trail up the to the ridge and down from the ridge were challenging to say the least. Probably the roughest rocks I've ever ridden.

Too bad you guys missed out on the last little loop of the day. Part of it was nice and fast, and the rest was still pretty fun. Compared to the earlier rocks, it was nothing.

Rob, were are looking forward to the videos.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

mdubya wrote:I did get to ride restukey's new to him '04/'05 AMA spec KTM 450 SMS today. I felt better as soon as I climbed aboard. I immediately wanted to do anything that looked like a bad idea. So I pronounce it a ripper. :roost:
Sweet! Congrats on the new bike, Bob. I guess we're never gonna see you in the dirt now...
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

I wish I had brought the helmet cam and got some video of Phil and I romping up front. There were definately some highlights! I felt like we conquered and kicked ass. The rocks were easy and fun, and I felt like going out and finding some even harder stuff to ride. :thumbup:

This is the best I could do with the limited footage that I did shoot. I guess it tells part of Ken's story...

[youtubeurl][/youtubeurl]
Rob

XR650L
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

RRob wrote:The rocks were easy and fun, and I felt like going out and finding some even harder stuff to ride. :thumbup:
RRob - you definitely need psychiatric help! :nono:
RRob wrote:I guess it tells part of Ken's story...
Yup, you got that right! :fitz: I was worn out at that climb from the previous "short" rocky section. Which reminds me, we need to establish a DAMN definition of short and long! :harhar:

Next year I'll do better. :deal:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Pretty neat Rob. The helm mounted cam would have been nice, especially of your blitz on the last loop of the day.

Though I would disagree about the statements that the rocks were easy. They were doable, not really easy.

Ken, now w/ the relativity of more experience does the statement of Greenridge being, "a little rocky..." now make more sense.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

How do the rocks at Taskers compare to the rocks on Mountain Ridge's "Wild Bill" trail?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:How do the rocks at Taskers compare to the rocks on Mountain Ridge's "Wild Bill" trail?
The last few hundred yards are almost identical except they are on a steep downhill slope. The rest of the Peter's Mill trail is almost solid rock like GR's rock garden. Then throw in a steep uphill switchback, still all rocky. You don't get the bike muddy on that trail, that's for sure. Unless you have a lot of travel, you will test your skid plate!
Ken