I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Garrett County and WV colors

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Garrett County and WV colors

Post by mdubya »

Well, it is that time of the year. The sun is glowing a more deep amber hue and hitting at lower angles, all in time to provide perfect lighting for the most beautiful time of year; fall colors. I think it is safe to say that Garrett County is currently peaking, and northern West Virginia is not far behind. TyMarp and I had a rather epic ride on Sunday. The main roads were packed with leaf lookers, Harleys, SUVs, and mini vans everywhere. TyMarp and I were seriously off the beaten path, sometimes on the road, sometimes off road. We even crossed 2/3's of the Cheat River before turning around. It was dry, but covered with large smooth and slippery rocks. The last stretch was wide and deep; we figured 2/3's was far enough. We stopped in some truly beautiful spots. At the end of the day, we got a pretty clean shot at 2 of WV's best mountain passes, once each way. I would estimate around 200 miles alternating between head banging and sight seeing and, at times, doing both. :deal:

I got out again late this afternoon. It was just too perfect a day not to. I headed down to the Savage River Reservoir. I did half a loop around before turning north and then west for a little dirt road paradise called Blue Lick. It is tree covered with cascading creek beds running along side and mountain hills rising above on both sides. It is so peaceful I expect to see the World Enduro guys come pounding through the creek bed at any moment. :ride: I then headed back down to Savage River Road where I found a gate open which isn't usually open. No signs anywhere, so I took it as permission to ride on. This little 2 track climbed high above the reservoir on the west side. At the top, the views of the next several ranges were crystal clear. Tim, you need to get over to this one and run it before they lock it up. It is between Dry Run and Spring Lick on the west side of the Res.

The colors were awesome; gold, yellow, red, brown, orange, and a wee bit if green. The roads are littered with multi covered carpeting and fallen pine needles, making for some fun cornering on the DRZ on slicks. :roost:

I am sure the leaves are just changing in central MD. But you guys are missing a pretty one out here. And you can't ride out here with out being on some sort of decent road, or non-road, as it were. :ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Garrett County and WV colors

Post by Rut Row »

excellent - my bride and I are going to Rocky Gap this coming weekend. I was worried the leaves would have turned and be gone.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Garrett County and WV colors

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:excellent - my bride and I are going to Rocky Gap this coming weekend. I was worried the leaves would have turned and be gone.
They should be hanging in there. Plus that side of Cumberland is a bit warmed than this side.

'Sposed to be 58* at Green Ridge this w/e. Sounds like perfect riding weather. :deal: :brows:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC