I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Hancock NY Quarry Run Ignore Duplicate

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Hancock NY Quarry Run Ignore Duplicate

Post by BigBird »

I'm heading up for it Friday if anyone would like to ride along?

It is a super event with Cookie Breaks about every 90 minutes :loveit: and lots of single track!

http://www.bearcreeksportsmen.com/
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Hancock NY Quarry Run Ignore Duplicate

Post by Bucho »

Its been on my calender for a while but Im not going to be able to make it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Looks like I'll have to add this to the calendar for next year.

http://www.bearcreeksportsmen.com/quarry.html
"The Quarry Run D/S is a challenging event. More of a trail ride. The Blue Stone region of the Catskill Mountains lends itself to fantastic riding trail and road riding opportunities."

It's five hours away, but if it's worth it, I'll make the journey.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

It IS worth the drive.

It is the most challenging and single track intensive Dual Sport I know of. FORTUNATELY it didn't rain this year so there was only a few muddy areas (but I did manage to get totally stuck in one of them and had to have help getting the bike out). I was almost dehydrated and pooped buy the time I got to the first Lemonade and Cookie stand about 10:30 Satruday AM. But after 3 oatmeal cookies and about a gallon of lemonade :loveit: I was off again.

I did all of Saturday and half of Sunday. I could have completed Sunday but was getting tired and it was starting to rain and I had a five hour ride home. I had to make 2 tries at several of the hills but managed to get up all of them although one required using a bushwacking excursuion around the last 100 feet of a 1/4 mile long climb. I think I only took about 7 or 8 dirt samples this year vs about 70 or 80 mud samples last year :lol2: This event is predominantly single track and really narrow double track with a little dirt and paved roads thrown in to get you to the next batch of GOOD stuff. I think there were several miles of new cut single track this year. Also you are camping right on the river which is REALLY nice after a long day's ride :loveit:
Last edited by BigBird on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

two important points in BB's post.

1. It was challenging (BB is a DAMN good rider). :whoop:

2. BB didn't finish. That is a rarity. BB ALWAYS finishes! And all the DAMN options too! :bow:

I don't see this ride in MY future if he has that much trouble. :nono:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
waserman
DAMN Expert

Post by waserman »

BigBird wrote:It IS worth the drive.

It is the most challenging and single track intensive Dual Sport I know of. FORTUNATELY it didn't rain this year so there was only a few muddy areas (but I did manage to get totally stuck in one of them and had to have help getting the bike out). I was almost dehydrated and pooped buy the time I got to the first Lemonade and Cookie stand about 10:30 Satruday AM. But after 3 oatmeal cookies and about a gallon of lemonade :loveit: I was off again.

I did all of Saturday and half of Sunday. I could have completed Sunday but was getting tired and it was starting to rain and I had a five hour ride home. I had to make 2 tries at several of the hills but managed to get up all of them although one required using a bushwacking excursuion around the last 100 feet of a 1/4 mile long climb. I think I only took about 7 or 8 dirt samples this year vs about 70 or 80 musd samples last year :lol2: This event is predominantly single track and really narrow double track with a little dirt and paved roads thrown in to get you to the next batch of GOOD stuff. I think there were several miles of new cut single track this year. Also you are camping right on the river which is REALLY nice after a long day's ride :loveit:
Hi BB are you the guy with the Ohlins shock with shortened suspension on an 07 or 09 200 ? If so then we met at the bottom of one of those long hill climbs you were speaking of. I was the guy on the 09 TE510 and my buddy Dave was on an 03 200 EXC and was asking you about some of the mods on your bike. I also rode all of Saturday and we got jammed up for more than 2 hours during the day waiting to climb some of the longest climbs I have ever done :roost: , and yes they were more than the skill level of some of the riders that were attempting to make the climb. I watched several riders let other more experienced riders take their bikes up some of the hills. There are only 1 way in and out of most of these trails and riding back down against the flow of travel(back down the trail)is not advised. Sunday we only rode to the gas available because we got caught on the mountains in the downpour that turned the hills and trail into a mudslide, and we were whooped. :knary: If you want to ride a "hardcore dualsport", that is tougher than quite a few of the enduros that I've done over the years then this is you. I want to say that physical condition and experience, are your friends for this kind of event. I am lacking in the physical condition area, I think that is an understatement. I need to start riding my mountain bike again, but I had a blast.
John

DER ECEA AMA
Class: A Super Senior, open

Husqvarna TE 510
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Kyler wrote:two important points in BB's post.

1. It was challenging (BB is a DAMN good rider). :whoop:

2. BB didn't finish. That is a rarity. BB ALWAYS finishes! And all the DAMN options too! :bow:

I don't see this ride in MY future if he has that much trouble. :nono:
Ken - I think I must be getting REALLY OLD as this is the first time in my life that I have ever quit an event without finishing when I was still able to ride and my bike wasn't broke :shrug: At least my record of not bypassing any options wasn't tanrished as there ARE NO OPTIONS on this event :lol2:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

waserman wrote: Hi BB are you the guy with the Ohlins shock with shortened suspension on an 07 or 09 200 ?
That would be me. I have and NEED every technology tick available to man kind (Autoclutch, flywheel weight, Scotts stabilizer, SUPER plush lowered suspension, Tubliss, deturned power valve, lowered pegs, Gnarley pipe, etc.) to help the OLD FAT GUY keep going!

Enjoyed the short visit with you guys.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I can honestly say, this is more of a trail ride than a true DS. The single track is awesome and plentiful. This is not a SS500 kinda ride. I refer to it as a Enduro without checks due to the amount of single track you ride. Nice little town and good camping right on the river.

If you haven't done this and you want 2 full days of mostly single track, this is the deal. Hotels can be a little tough to get into, so if you are a hotel person, reserve early. There isn't alot in town.
Lots of cool bikes---
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

It really IS steeper than it looks. BUT at least it wasn't covered in MUD like last year :lol2:

Sam Jones - Frederick MD
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800