I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Green ridge ride report 8/12 (wifes first time)

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Green ridge ride report 8/12 (wifes first time)

Post by Grady »

Finally got a chance for the wife and I to go out to Green Ridge with her klx250. This was her first off road experience. We arrived around 12:30 and the weather was perfect, upper seventies and a slight breeze. We were only planing a day trip, but we still used a campsite as a home base. We started off just touring around on the roads, so she could get a feel for unstable ground. While going along Dughill we had about eight deer run straight across the road in front of us, this made for a good lesson on how easily the rear brake will lock and slide. Then about a quarter mile ahead we came across what appeared to be two peacocks wondering around the road, unfortunately they ran off before we could stop and get the camera out. After Dughill we went up Mertens to the overlook and stopped for a photo. By now she was starting to feel a little more comfortable with the bike and gear, although still having a little trouble getting used to shifting in the boots. We then got on the ORV trail from the overlook, I figured this was the easiest part of the trail in my opinion so it seemed like a safe bet. She did decent through this whole section and we were able to keep a comfortable first-timers pace. The only spot which she struggled a little on was the long steep rocky downhill with the left hand turn before you get back to fifteen mile creek, but she still made it through without falling or stopping. We then went back to base for a snack and drink, she was ready for a break by now. After a short rest we were ready to continue and headed back to the ORV. We now started at Fifteen mile creek and headed toward the lower Mertens lot. She did great along this stretch also, I think she was starting to gain some confidence. About halfway through she got scared on a downhill and came to a stop and fell over. No injuries and no bike damage, but now a loss of confidence and a little fear of the downhills. We continued on and I think the fatigue and fear started to catch up to her because now the pace seemed to be slowing a bit. Although this may not be the easiest place to learn dirt riding, and those pointed rocks will strike fear into many people. We came to a long stretch of mud and as she was exiting the mud gave it a little to much gas and the rear slid out and she wend down again. Once again no injuries and no damage, so we continued on. Once we got to the lower Mertens lot she about had enough. I thought she had done great and was pleased, but I think she had higher expectations for herself. So we took Mertens to Green Ridge Rd and headed back to base. We got in about four hours of riding and I was extremely pleased with how she did, she on the other hand was not. She was disappointed that she fell twice and that she was scared on the downhill sections. I tried to assure her that this was normal and still a good accomplishment for her first time off of the slab. I still fear downhills myself, I'd much rather go up than down. In the end she still had a good time and wants to do it again soon. I think with more practice and more confidence in herself and the bike she'll be enjoying it even more. Once we were loaded up and ready to leave, we came across a small black bear crossing the road. This was the most wildlife I had ever seen in a day out there. I guess because the place was deserted, all kinds of critters were out roaming around. Conditions were dry and dusty, except for the usual spots that water lays along the ORV. It turned out to be a nice day, no injuries, no broken bikes and excellent weather. Can't wait to get back.
Attachments
gr3.jpg
gr3.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 3570 times
gr2.jpg
gr2.jpg (61.14 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
mtd679
DAMN Wanabe

Re: Green ridge ride report 8/12 (wifes first time)

Post by mtd679 »

You finally got her out.

Let me know when you want to go again, my girlfriend sure would appreciate another female rider, and someone probably closer to her pace. She just got a DRZ250 (her first adult-sized bike) and has only been out once. She fell a few times due to short legs, so I lowered it. She's still a little timid because it's so much bigger than her old bike. All I can figure is once she gets more seat time she'll realize the limiting factor of her old crf100 and she'll blow on by...

Anyway, we'll be headed somewhere this weekend. Dunno where yet, it'll all depend on my workload. Let me know if you'd like to try and get together, or some other time when convenient.
bunch of bike I don't ride...
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Good job for your wife! Wrecking is part of dirtriding. My wife isn't too crazy about the wrecking either. She wrecked my old quad at Greenridge a couple years ago and I can't get her to go back there.
I keep telling my wife how you can have a nice day at Greenridge w/out even getting on the ORV trail, alot of nice dirt roads.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Good job Tony. It sounds like you approached her first time on dirt perfectly. If she enjoyed it, continue this approach and she will gain confidence. Mertens, Dug Hill, and Stafford Trail are all good spots to practice and gain confidence with out the added challenge of the ORV trail.

:thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mtd679
DAMN Wanabe

Post by mtd679 »

You guys are making me feel terrible about teaching the gals to ride.

We got my gal a little DS80 one weekend, took her to a parking lot to teach her to ride on a Saturday. She didn't even know how to drive a manual transmission car. She rode the little thing for about an hour.

On Sunday we went to Greenridge. I had never been there before and had never ridden off road either.

When we got there we decided to do the smart thing and start at Mertens Ave. and do the lower section, because it is shorter. Not 10 feet down the trail my girlfriend grabs her front break, front end washes out and she's on the ground. No riding gear except helmet and goggles. Knowing how bad I wanted to ride, and driving two hours to get there, she kept trudging on.

We asked a fella before leaving how long he thought it would take us to do the lower half. He guessed about 45 minutes. Well after over 2 hours of stalling and kicking and stalling and kicking, we made it back to the truck.

Now in retrospect I can really appreciate what a trooper she was/is, and realize what a dumbfuck I was for putting her through that. She still goes riding with me whenever she can, and is on her third bike. I guess the riding bug has caught her.
bunch of bike I don't ride...