I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

secluded campsites at green ridge or others?

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
skierd
DAMN Expert

secluded campsites at green ridge or others?

Post by skierd »

Need a break from the world for a few days, want to get out and sit in nature and sleep under the stars and all that for a couple nights. I've noticed that a majority of the campsites in Green Ridge seem to be on main forest roads and not all that separated from other site. Hoping to get some me time out in the hills, anyone have a good site suggestion? Thanks to Bucho's last lap ride I'm familiar with 65 (which I'm partial to for the view anyways) and 66 at GR, but are there others in case those are full, or I want to move for the night? Trying to keep it within 200 miles of home as I'll probably be running for home thursday morning trying to make it to work before 2pm with time to shower or change at least lol.

It would be great if a site was free or close to it but preference is to seclusion. Even just a recommendation of a place to try outside of GR would be welcome, hate to place all my hopes on a site that may or may not be available when I get out there.

Thanks! And if y'all don't want to publicly post your favorite sanctuary I understand that too. PM's or emails work too if you don't mind sharing. I won't tell...
Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time...
'08 WR250R w/ an X change
CapoGreg

Re: secluded campsites at green ridge or others?

Post by CapoGreg »

Green Ridge site 84 on Yonkers Bottom Rd. Only campsite on that dead end road, right on Fifteen Mile Creek.
Daves08excr
DAMN Poohba

Post by Daves08excr »

Dan ,Dawn and i went out last week and stayed out on trigg rd we did't see anybody else out there but the bugs were bad. :thumbup:
By the way all sites along the old orv trail are now hike in only. We rode a little section from 15 mile creek parking lot up to stafford trail and its all washed out.it looks like they are just letting the roads up there go away.
2021 Africa twin.
2022 Kayo k6-EFI.

WELCOME TO THE DIRT SIDE.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Hey Skierd. I think quite a few of the campsites are set back from the road. I know when you are riding around on the dirtroads it seems like they are all right along the road but many of them aren't. I was trying to find the campsite map on the website and was failing. I can't remember the numbers, but I was going to point out some of the ones I've camped at that I've liked. I always bring a dog or two so I prefer the campsites that are back far enough from the road that I don't have to worry about a loose dog taking off after a bike or hiker going by. I had a few good campsites on the north side of the highway but can't remember the numbers, (14 i think).
If you can check in while the ranger station is manned they have a big book w/ pictures of all the campsites and are usually pretty helpful so you can find a campsite you are looking for.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
TheAntiCrash

Post by TheAntiCrash »

To avoid the bugs, its a hike but it seems the gnats don't like Savage River State forest.

I took a long break during a ride at on of the campsites last summer and was not swarmed!!

Sites are along the roads however, 'cept for the few along ORV they closed there also.
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

There are 2 campsites at the end of outdoor club road, 85 and 86. 85 is one of the best campsites in the park.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Here is a link to the site map. #84 is rather good.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/pdfs ... ORVmap.pdf
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!