I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trans American Trail

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
dak
DAMN Expert

Trans American Trail

Post by dak »

Want to start this topic/post to see if anybody would be interested in riding this trail.
I'm in the early stages of planing this and getting my BMW G450x ready.
Just added a Safari tank and ready to frolic some more.
GPS mount, Wolfman luggage, Pro-lights are on the way.
Been doing some studying on the Topo maps and regular maps looks very doable.
DAK BMW G450X RIDER
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Trans American Trail

Post by Rut Row »

Interested? Yes. :smoking:

Able to go? Not for a long time :fitz:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
dak
DAMN Expert

Trans American Trail

Post by dak »

Kyler wrote:Interested? Yes. :smoking:

On way it's 5000+ miles. I was thinking trailer the bikes out to Tennessee and start from there then ride as much gravel/dirt as possible within the time frame and do a direct back switch via highway. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DAK BMW G450X RIDER
dak
DAMN Expert

Trans American Trail

Post by dak »

dak wrote:

On way it's 5000+ miles. I was thinking trailer the bikes out to Tennessee and start from there then ride as much gravel/dirt as possible within the time frame and do a direct back switch via highway. Just a thought.

Or rent a storage place and leave the bike fly back and next available time ride the rest/more

DAK BMW G450X RIDER
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Have promised the Missus to take her to Ireland next year in exchange for not divorcing me over my insistence on racing Pike's Peak :shrug:

2013 is the earliest and I'm jonesing bad to ride to Goose Bay and have a tentative okay from boss-lady. :eyes:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I'm somewhere in this category. I'd like to take my time to do a TAT trip. My kid is only 3, he needs to be a little older before I'm going to do something like that. Or maybe when I get a sidecar he can come along...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
dak
DAMN Expert

Trans American Trail

Post by dak »

Kyler wrote:Have promised the Missus to take her to Ireland next year in exchange for not divorcing me over my insistence on racing Pike's Peak :shrug:

2013 is the earliest and I'm jonesing bad to ride to Goose Bay and have a tentative okay from boss-lady. :eyes:
We did Trans Labrador Highway section 1, 2, 3, in five weeks including Newfound Land from the North to the South on our R1200 GSA without crashing. It should be note they are paving all the roads. They started paving from Goose-bay Happy Valley, and from Labrador City both ways. You can hit some more dirt, we did not know about in Newfound Land from St Patric all the way south it's an abandon rail road track that has been cleared. It's a double track easily driven by big bike adventure. The track goes right through the middle NF.

DAK BMW G450X RIDER
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

dak wrote:We did Trans Labrador Highway section 1, 2, 3, in five weeks including Newfound Land from the North to the South on our R1200 GSA without crashing. It should be note they are paving all the roads. They started paving from Goose-bay Happy Valley, and from Labrador City both ways. You can hit some more dirt, we did not know about in Newfound Land from St Patric all the way south it's an abandon rail road track that has been cleared. It's a double track easily driven by big bike adventure. The track goes right through the middle NF.
paving it? DAMN... won't be much fun all paved.
Ken
skierd
DAMN Expert

Post by skierd »

Do it! Its a great ride if you like scenery. None of the trail, at least on the eastern half, is terribly difficult and could be done with a street bike on street tires if you wanted to. Turns mostly to dirt in Arkansas, the Ozarks are the first real technical stuff. Most of Oklahoma is flat straight beautiful farm roads of varying quality and upkeep, wide open gravel 2 lanes wide to sandy 2 track. The going starts getting tough in New Mexico, where the first real climb is coming out of Phantom Canyon, and really takes off in Colorado after Salida. Make sure you have enough gas for 160-200+ miles between stops out west.

Coast to coast long the TAT will be closer to 6000 miles. If you run the TWVT you could end up on dirt most of the way across.

When are you thinking about going?
Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time...
'08 WR250R w/ an X change
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

This is something I have looked at too...Skierd any idea on how much time you would need to do say the Eastern portion vs the whole route?
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S