I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

DAMN Trail Ride at Mountain Ridge, PA August 9th

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
chriskoz
DAMN Expert

Re: DAMN Trail Ride at Mountain Ridge, PA August 9th

Post by chriskoz »

Here it is as requested, the "after" shot. Good thing I am lazy or this would have been washed by now.

2006 VTX 1300
2006 YZ250F
AVB_82

Post by AVB_82 »

My Dad and I had a great time also. It was a bit rockier than we would have liked, especially since it was his first time riding off road, but still a great day!

We did Gentle Ben also at some point and that was great.

None of the pics were that great this trip though. Need to work on my photography skills :dry:

It was nice meeting some of you. Sorry that I didn't get to meet all of you. Hopefully next time
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Hi Andrea- it was good to meet you and your dad. I hope you guys had a good time. I felt like we hardly got to see the 2 of you. We all commented that even though the trails were marked green/easy, that they weren't exactly beginner's trails. But we kept starting on green and somehow ending up on blue so maybe we just weren't doing it right! :lol8:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
AVB_82

Post by AVB_82 »

Thanks!

We had a really good time. I think that between us going somewhat slow since my dad was just getting comfortable, and there being so many trails, we just kept missing each other.

I was VERY careful not to do just that because ending on a blue probably wouldn't have been a great idea....definitely not when he started getting tired and the trail just seemed to 'disappear' from under his tires and trees would throw themselves in his path!! :lol8:

Hopefully I'll get to go back and attempt a blue trail at some point. May not be the best idea since since I don't know that I'm quite ready for it yet myself...but I never claimed that listening to common sense was a forte of mine either!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:Hi Andrea- it was good to meet you and your dad. I hope you guys had a good time. I felt like we hardly got to see the 2 of you. We all commented that even though the trails were marked green/easy, that they weren't exactly beginner's trails. But we kept starting on green and somehow ending up on blue so maybe we just weren't doing it right! :lol8:
Hmmm - if mix a green bike and add a yellow bike, would you get a blue trail? :poser:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

For any who tried to help me with my bike's electrical/starting problems, it did turn out to be a dead battery, so at least it was an easy fix. It must have been low, and maybe I left the ignition on while we were waiting for someone or something. The pre 96 DR650's were kick start only, I wonder how hard it would be to adapt a kickstart off one of those, so at least I'd have a back up?

Hello, Andrea. I never did see you. Wasn't trying to be rude, but maybe next time I'll at least get the chance to say "Hi", if not actually ride w/ you. Hopefully, my dog maybe waundered up to greet you.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
DaWasher

Post by DaWasher »

Sounds like a good time. The PA posey couldn't make it.

Can someone compare the trails to Green Rdige ORV for me? Trying to get a mental picture or the riding.

I read they had an MX track. Anyone check it out?

Thanks,
Denny
chriskoz
DAMN Expert

Post by chriskoz »

I love Green Ridge, but Mtn Ridge has 10 times as many trails. It is so expansive and wide spread, great variety, all kinds of obstacles and play areas. The MX track was rock laiden but it was fun to try. I took a couple of the jumps, they were ok. it is better than Green Ridge, but I still like GR for what it is.
2006 VTX 1300
2006 YZ250F
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

DaWasher wrote:Sounds like a good time. The PA posey couldn't make it.

Can someone compare the trails to Green Rdige ORV for me? Trying to get a mental picture or the riding.

I read they had an MX track. Anyone check it out?

Thanks,
Denny

Hey Denny,

Mountain Ridge was much different than Green Ridge. It has a variety of trails. The green/easy trails were tighter 2 track that wind up and down the mountain ridge and cross the top of the ridge too. The turns are much tighter than what we experience at Green Ridge. There are long fireroad type access roads which are kind of boring, but once on the trails, it is not boring. The blue/intermediate trails were heavy on difficult rock gardens and mud bogs. Not impossible, but definitely a challenge. There are some fair sized hillclimb/descents, too, which I found to be really fun. My only complaint about Mountain Ridge is that it is exposed. I guess it was strip mined, so nearly all the trees are new growth. There is very little riding under the trees and in the shade. The trails are dry and dusty, with only the deep rut holding any water.

The "MX track" is a bit of a joke; rock strewn (extremely rocky) and totally un-groomed.

So, it is a lot of fun and well worth the trip to check the place out. Part of what makes it worth it is that it is so different from Green Ridge.

Mike
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
DaWasher

Post by DaWasher »

thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like it might be a weekender some day.