I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Open Practice 7/5/08

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Open Practice 7/5/08

Post by Rut Row »

chriskoz wrote:Looks like you guys had a blast. Love seeing Bucho on the old 2 stroke CR. That reminds, I'm selling one! Sorry I missed it.
What perfect timing! Bucho is in the market for one. 'course, I may have to store it at my house. :lol8:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

Thanks to everyone for coming over. Its always great to spend the day riding with old friends and new. :cheers:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

After hours at RRob's?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JM3vOzq8fCY

:brows:

Thanks for having us over RRob! An awesome good time as always. :cheers:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Yeah, was a great day and a good time. Let the pictures reflect, I was an idiot and forgot the key to my bike. Rob was pretty nice about it and spent a bit of time trying to hotwire my bike. When that unfortunently didnt work, he gave me an awesome bike to ride for the whole day. Oldschool two strokes rule!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

mdubya ride report, observations, and confessions:

We had fun yesterday at RRob's. Dennys was an animal and spent the day breathing down RRob's neck, and RRob has his place wired. I couldn't stay anywhere close to them. Ken got around on his new KTM a lot easier than what his off road attempts have been on his KLR. Phil rode RRob's CR 250 2 stroke all day. Phil was plenty fast too. I rode decent, but I wasn't close to any of those guys. After lunch RRob took us on an extended tour of the interlinking neighborhood trails, down some of the local dirt roads, then took us up some powerlines. We had a couple of gnarly hill climbs and I was thinking "this isn't too bad". But then we reached a gnarly downhill. It was all loose shale and fairly steep with a couple of bumps in the middle that meant it would be even steeper over the crests of the bumps. My tires on the KTM suck at the moment, which was fine on RRob's trails, but unnerving on this down hill. Plus my forks are so soft, they were bottoming on the front brakes, which made me feel like was was going right over the bars. No control. Every one went down. I started down, but parked it half way and walked it the rest of the way. Then went up the next hill to meet the fellas and was told, now we turn around. ?!?!?!?@?@?!?! I was mildly pissed and mildly amused. RRob and Dennys both almost ate shit going back up. Phil went up OK. They all went in the left rut, so I chose the right rut and figured I would bank across to the left rut once past the humps that gave everyone trouble. Well, I got halfway up, but the right rut was filled with loose shale and I stopped going forward and started sliding back down the hill. I got the bike turned around and back to the bottom. Heart rate pegged, took a few minutes to catch my breath. So now it was time to try the left rut. I actually went right up it so easily I was surprised and even rode a littlle wheelie over the top to show the guys I wasn't a total pussy.

But the down hills had me spooked. And I had a little bit of trouble going back down the 2 sizeable ones we rode up on the way in.

Back at RRob's we were all feeling euphoric at our conquests. I was a little embarrased showing my weaknesses to the guys, but hey, that is one of the really cool things about dirt biking. It doesn't take much to realize where you fit in the pecking order.

Phil and Ken packed up and RRob and Dennys and I went out for some more. I hung with them on the first lap, but then they took off and I couldn't keep up. I have a loop I like and I just rode it over and over. Everytime I figured one more lap and I'll stop, I would get half way 'round and say "hell no, I am doing another." I encountered RRob and Dennys coming up the trail where I was going down, but I saw them in plenty of time and pulled to the side as they came romping through, nose to tail. RRob was making up shit turning down every little connector trail he could think of trying to shake Dennys, but Dennys just stayed glued. The part where they came by me was the start of my favorite section with a challenging uphill with an S-bend in it and a sharp turn at the top. You immediately turn back down the hill and into the woods for a steep downhill. It is slippery and hard to go slow, but trouble if you go too fast. That flattens out into the fastest section with a nice left right left right combination, each slightly bermed out, so you can just romp on it. The final right hander aims you up a short mild hill. As I entered that last right, I could see RRob and Dennys tearing down the hill. We all did everything we could to pull up. Dennys stopped no problem, RRob and I stopped with our front wheels on either side of each other. We both stopped upright, but my bike was leaned over. I couldn't hold it up, so I just let go. We all had a good laugh and decided to call it quits.

It was lot's of fun, and part of what makes RRob's so fun to me is it is always a bit of a challenge to me.

Teethgrinder, it was good to finally meet you in person! I hope we get to ride with you soon. :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

It sounds like you guys didn't have any fun without me?
dpasseto

Post by dpasseto »

Hey guys, that was great fun. Rob, thanks for letting me come out and enjoy those awesome trails you have on your property and for lunch. :roost: Can't wait to come out and ride again. Thanks