I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trip Report: MD to NC via the coast

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Trip Report: MD to NC via the coast

Post by Rut Row »

The weekend of May 30th to June 3rd I rode my trusty stead (aka Pig) to Jacksonville, NC. I went to spoil my granddaughter--I know, terrible grandpa--but she's so cute! Anyway, I had always wanted to go down the coast and decided this would be the trip.

Here's pics of the Pig loaded and ready to go. Ain't she purdy? No? I agree but she's paid for!

Day 1 (Friday afternoon) saw me leave homenear Frederick, MD. I was concerned that I'd get stuck in weekend traffic crossing the Bay Bridge near Annapolis. Traffic was heavy but not at the bridge! Merging traffic near downtown caused all the problems.

Trivia: I'm a private pilot. I have an aversion to heights (weird, eh?). Flying doesn't bother me but bridges do!

My Bay Bridge crossing plan was to stay in the center lane and focus on the traffic ahead, minimizing the peripheral view of the height, open spaces, etc. MDOT screwed up that plan. The EZPass lane put me on the opposite bridge and the outside lane! YIKES! Okay - stay focused, stay calm... what a relief it was to cross.

I stopped often to rest my tender arse. Here's a few pics on the Eastern Shore.

Shortly after this picture, I became reacquainted with the symptoms of fuel starvation--the bike, not me! So, I'm riding along, enjoying the scenery, having a great time when it gets quiet. A bad quiet, not your friendly no traffic, hear the birds singing quiet but rather a THE ^%$#@! DAMN BIKE DIED kind of quiet. Very unsettling. As it decelerated I did a quick mental check of all the preventative maintenance done prior to the trip, trying to figure out what caused my misfortune. Eventually it occurred to me that maybe I really couldn't get 230 miles per tank, maybe, just maybe, I had miscalculated my fuel efficiency. Hmmm... I reach down, flip the fuel cock to the reserve position, release the clutch and... *^%$#@! Pig won't start! I flip the fuel cock to the military reserve (for the uninitiated, that means the correct position), release the clutch and noise is restored! What a relief. Did I mention I love my Zumo? A few quick finger stabs and a gas station is located 10 miles in front of me. Now the real question is how much fuel is really in the reserve? After a few tense, anxiety filled minutes I get to the station, fill one tank, relieve the other and calm my nerves.

After that I just want to get to the campground, setup and throw back a few beers. I had decided to stay at the Pine Grove Campground and Waterfowl Park.

From their website...

Pine Grove Campground is located on 37 acres of overgrown woods filled with yellow pine trees. There are six ponds that serve as a sanctuary for over 50 different species of ducks, geese, swans, pheasants, and other wildlife.
There is a public boat ramp and crabbing dock within walking distance of the campground. You are only a few minutes away from town, doctors, shopping and the Assateague National Seashore and Wildlife Refuge that has miles of wild beach and nature trails, where Chincoteague Ponies roam free.

I thought this would be a neat place to stay, quiet, woodsie, etc. Here's a few pics.

I hadn't realized that it was oriented towards the vacationing trailer public. But they had an area in the back for tents. Lucky for me there weren't a lot of families and hence a noticeable absence of screaming rug rats. Nice place. Bugs weren't bad either.

Way too many trailers to suit me though.

After settling in, I went to Bill's Seafood Restaurant and had a killer meal. I was badly under dressed but they seated me anyway even if it was in a corner. I'm guessing they didn't care for the MX boots, bright yellow AST jacket, etc. But good food - I recommend it to your attention. After that, I hit the local ABC and smuggled some brews back to camp.
The fact that this was a waterfowl park really didn't register when I decided to stay there. All evening I heard weird noises so the following moring I went to investigate. I wonder if the camp owners know these aren't waterfowl?

I wonder what was going through his/her mind?

So after meandering around a bit, I got a recommendation to a breakfast buffet. So I broke camp, proceeded to the designated eating establishment and did serious damage to their buffet! I rode around the town and island a bit. Didn't go into the park as they wanted $5 for all day. The friendly ranger won't allow me to just ride through and look without paying so I turned around.

This is as close as I got to the lighthouse.

Next stop, the Chesapeake Bay Bridge! Fortunately the trip there was uneventful. The rest stop just before the bridge appeal to me and I took a butt break (did I mention that custom all-day seats aren't?).

The way ahead.

The overlook just past the toll booth and before the tunnel.

Riding through the tunnel was neat. Riding over that BIG bridge wasn't! Gawd but I hate heights. After the second tunnel, if you make a hard right as you emerge, there is a rest area, food stop, pier, etc. I stop to enjoy the full tourist experience.

Did you spot the bike? hehehehe... So, for those wanting more info about the tunnel...

The ride through Norfolk and down to Hatteras was boring. Nothing noteworthy to report. Next stop was Brogue Lighthouse.

There was a Harley parked in the lot when I got there. Theowner and his squeeze got back to the bike as I was getting off mine. I said hello, waved and was totally ignored. How rude. Maybe it was the Pig and not me. I guess Harley's don't like go anywhere enduros. Maybe it is a jealously thing. Oh well, I enjoyed a respite from the custom all-day seat and oggled the tourists for a bit. Next stop is the first ferry. The scenery getting there was great and dang, but I forgot to get more pictures! Oh well, here's the ferry.

There were two HD dressers and two Wings waiting to board. They came up to talk while we waited. Great guys from Eastern TN. We were instructed to stay by the bikes during the crossing. They didn't have tie-downs! Yikes! Here's Pig ready to set sail.

Some random ferry shots, no particular order.

Can you see the Captain? Grizzly old guy. Looks like he came straight down from New England.

Yours truely wondering if Pig would fall over during the crossing. Notice the D.A.M.N. Riders hat?

The obligatory picture of gulls flying.

Finally, Hatteras!

Man is that island narrow. There were spots where I could see water on both sides of the road simultaniously.

The ride down the island was very scenic. Hot though and DAMNed muggy too. Who was the wise aarse that decided to wear a 4-season riding jacket? Ugh...The ranger at the Ocracoke campground was a decent bloke. Had a great chat with him about bikes, riding, etc. I asked him where the best spot was to camp and he suggested the middle where we'd get a breeze. He said the skeeters were quite bad and the breeze would keep them away. Seemed logical to me so I picked a spot and setup. He was right, there was a breeze...

and not a skeeter in sight! Several nearby campers were having some wind related troubles though.

A shot the other direction.

I rode into town and bought some groceries and settled into camp to relax. Had a very pleasant evening until the wind died down and the skeeters came back in force! They drove me into the tent early. Danged things were still there in the morning so I broke camp expiditously and got out of Dodge in a hurry!

It was a short ride to the ferry to Cedar Island and I got to load first. Pig got a place of honor up front.

Some random ferry shots.

After offloading, it was about a 1 1/2 hour ride to my daughter's place. Had a great time spoiling the ganddaughter. The ride home Monday wasn't anything to speak or write about - was a 480 mile haul down the slab. Not much fun but all in all, well worth it.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
RRob
DAMN Expert

Re: Trip Report: MD to NC via the coast

Post by RRob »

:lurker: Nice report. Looks like a fun trip. Makes me want to jump on my bike and head for the coast. :ride:

No bikinis?
FOX8505

Post by FOX8505 »

Love the Carolina coast. Nice post, thanks for sharing. Oh how I wish I could load up and take a trip like that. Ferry transport and all. Good report. :thumbup:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Thats a trip where I think a luxo touring bike would be nice. I ridden down to the Outer Banks twice. Excellent scenery and neat places to stop, but the roads were all too flat and straight.

How did the bike do Ken? Will you be able to make it to Canada on it?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Bucho wrote:Thats a trip where I think a luxo touring bike would be nice. I ridden down to the Outer Banks twice. Excellent scenery and neat places to stop, but the roads were all too flat and straight.

How did the bike do Ken? Will you be able to make it to Canada on it?
I'm with ya on the touring bike part. Was wishing I had your Connie the whole way.

I used 2 quarts of oil in 1,000 miles which disturbs me greatly. I plan on discussing that with Rob, Al & Mike over beers. I could just live with it and carry 6 quarts of oil on the Canada trip or try to fix it.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yeah, 2 quarts is a bit excessive.

But, put it in perspective: it's not so long ago that 1 quart ever 1k miles was considered at the high end of normal usage for cars.
DaWasher

Post by DaWasher »

Nice report & pics. I love Hatteras & Ocracoke. Go there many times a year. B Dirt and I talked about taking our DS's there, but figureed we git in trouble :brows: