I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Summit Track Day 6/2

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Roadracer_Al

Summit Track Day 6/2

Post by Roadracer_Al »

My old racing partner, Thane, got me off my ass and back out to my home track, Summit Point for a Sportbike Track Time track day. It was GOOD. I think that this pic pretty much says it all.

http://alanzina.zenfolio.com/p949196375 ... 1031543567

For the morning sessions, I hooked up my GPS to check the top speed - It's unusual to have the throttle twisted to the stop for something like 20 or 30 seconds. It's a whopping 93 mph, if you're curious. It's kinda cool to have the route for Summit on my GPS as well. That'll make a fine electronic memento.

I'm really looking forward to the Enduro with RRob this weekend.

You could say I'm really getting my money's worth out of my DRZ this week. :thumbup:
RRob
DAMN Expert

Re: Summit Track Day 6/2

Post by RRob »

Two up through turn 10. Cool! :thumbup:

Tach'ed out on Main and then dragged up and down a mountain in WV. Yep, that's a "do it all" bike.
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

STT offers a "2-up" session after lunch. Thane forgot to put the passenger pegs back on his Triumph, and his GF had taken a day off work specifically to do the 2-up session, so I let them take the DRZ.

Good call on the exact turn.

I actually got chased off the outside of Turn 5 because there is a photographic service that has "carte blanche" at STT events. Apparently, the BSR cornerworkers don't speak French, and think that it translates as "Exclusive Rights at Summit Point to operate a camera with a big-ass lens, all others must use a shitty point-n-shoot". After that, I said fuckit, they're getting pix from 10.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Where's the photos of rr_Al? Did you ride the DRZ on the big track the whole day?!?!?!? How was that?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Sorry, no pix of me, although I could have purchased them from the photog. I might change my mind about that and see if they keep pix after the event.

Frankly, Thane's easily distracted, and a bit of a klutz. He's has damaged more than one of my consumer appliances. I wasn't about to turn him loose with nearly $2k worth of camera.

Regarding riding the DRZ on the big circuit, well, it was interesting. Of course, I was only one of two guys there on a bike with fewer than 600ccs, and the ONLY guy with fewer than 2 cylinders -- there was a sweeeeet 'priller RS250.

I got passed a lot. I think I got passed more in that track day than I got passed in my entire racing career. I was literally getting passed like I was standing still --- as in if you subtracted my speed from their speed, they'd still get a speeding ticket on the Beltway. It's a little unsettling to get passed at 165 when you're doing 90. I don't think I'll be doing that again. It's literally placing a HUGE amount of trust in your fellow squids not to hit you like a big fat deer in an expensive leather suit.

BUT, there are 2 things that completely make it worthwhile: passing squids on the brakes into T1 and T5; and, catching and passing squids in the carousel. That was fantastic fun, even with the front end chatter. I really need to do the suspension.

I think it was a little hard on the bike - I'd just changed the oil, so I know it was full, and by late afternoon, it was missing shifts and back-shifting -- it almost spit me off exiting T1 on 2 consecutive laps. I didn't have extra oil, so I skipped my last session. The brakes were definitely spongy by the end of the day, too.

It makes me want to put my ZRX back together and go play -- there was a guy on a Bandit 1200.