I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Coudersport PA DS weekend - Sept 4- 9th -UPDATED

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Coudersport PA DS weekend - Sept 4- 9th -UPDATED

Post by Skinny-J »

For those who couldn't make the DAMN 777 ride, or maybe did and want more, a group of us are riding up to Coudersport, PA over the last weekend in July. Friday will be getting there via Michaux, Tuscarora, maybe a little Bald Eagle and then awesome RT 144. Saturday, will be exploring the area and scouting some roads for a week long dual-sport ride being put together in this same area in September; and Sunday will be coming home where ever we point our front wheels.

To give a feel for the ride, the group will be riding KLR's, XRL's and DRZ's so we will be looking for (and finding) plenty of dirt roads with asphalt connecting every thing together. For Friday and Saturday nights we have a free cabin lined up with plenty of beds so all you would need to bring is a sleeping bag. Meals will be on the road or at local restaurants. The Coudersport\Northern PA area is Dual-sport nirvana so come along if you can!

Jay
Last edited by Skinny-J on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mustangwagz

Re: Coudersport PA DS weekend - July 30 - Aug 1

Post by mustangwagz »

ill see what i can do man! imma try to get my seat a little more tailbone friendly, then i'd be up for it! ill also notify my buddies about it.
mustangwagz

Post by mustangwagz »

No go on my party's part. Their plannin on bein in kinzua bridge area on that date..so thast where i will be. Maybe we'll somehow run across eachother? lol Red and white xt with a rear rack and a DAMN sticker..thats me. Oh, thumpertalk stickers too btw.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

mustangwagz wrote:No go on my party's part. Their plannin on bein in kinzua bridge area on that date..so thast where i will be. Maybe we'll somehow run across eachother? lol Red and white xt with a rear rack and a DAMN sticker..thats me. Oh, thumpertalk stickers too btw.
For the week long ride we are doing in September, I have laid out routes to the PA Grand Canyon, Hyner View, AFN and the Kinzua dam and bridge area. Ironically enough, for this "scouting" ride, I think the group concensus is that we are going to run the Kinzua loop so it is highly likely our tire tracks will cross!

I found some info about riding down to the base of what's left of the Kinzua bridge here: http://rochesternet.com/rides/Majestic6-18-05/ I don't know if it is legal or not but we are going to check it out. The guy also posted a pic of a gps track log that has some other "gas-line" trail identified so that should be explored as well. If you have any other tidbits to check out, let me know.....

Jay
mustangwagz

Post by mustangwagz »

Cool maybe we'll see ya there..

funny you mentioned that thread...guy thats takin us up knows the author of that post. and uh...pretty sure it AINT legal..but hell...it'll be worth a shot! haha. Also goin to check out jakes rocks? and the dam too.
xrochester

Post by xrochester »

Hi - I'm the site owner of this site, http://rochesternet.com/rides/ and noticed that you referenced my site in this thread. If there is any way I can help out with some local riding knowledge, let me know. I'd be happy to help to the extent that I can, although it looks like you guys are finding your way around there quite nicely. I'd also be interested to find out where you guys have found any particularly nice stuff as well that I may not be aware of. Thanks! Jim Montanus, Rochester, N.Y.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: Coudersport PA DS weekend - Sept 4 - 9th -UPDATED

Post by Skinny-J »

xrochester wrote:Hi - I'm the site owner of this site, http://rochesternet.com/rides/ and noticed that you referenced my site in this thread. If there is any way I can help out with some local riding knowledge, let me know. I'd be happy to help to the extent that I can, although it looks like you guys are finding your way around there quite nicely. I'd also be interested to find out where you guys have found any particularly nice stuff as well that I may not be aware of. Thanks! Jim Montanus, Rochester, N.Y.
Hi Jim,

First off, nice site you have there. I enjoyed looking through all your pics and ride reports; and many thanks for letting me "borrow" a few ideals from your previous adventures.

On our "scout" ride, we ended up heading east and south in the Grand Canyon area and had a great time. One of the guys from our group ended up going to the Kinzua bridge on his own on his way home and said they have major dirt piles and No-trespassing signs on the trail head to get down to the base of the bridge, was it like this when you rode it? I might PM you and get more info about the "gas-line" trail in the pic of your track log.

We are heading back up to Courdersport over Labor day (see detail in below post). Stop by for a few days and give us a "tour"!

Thanks again,
Jay
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: Coudersport PA DS weekend - September 4 -9th -UPDATED

Post by Skinny-J »

I’ll be back in the Coudersport PA area from Saturday September 4 th through Thursday the 9 th riding and exploring this great area. We have a large cabin with over 20 beds lined up for the price of free. If any one wants to make the treck up join in on the fun, come for as little or as much as you want, just let me know and I can get you more details-

Jay
xrochester

Re: Coudersport PA DS weekend - Sept 4- 9th -UPDATED

Post by xrochester »

Jay - Thanks for the compliment! No, the dirt piles were not there last time I visited the Kinzua Bridge. I'm not surprised they have restricted access. A lot of good riding areas are disappearing. But our ace in the hole is having road legal dual sports - they'll never be able to keep us off the forest roads (I hope!).

A little local knowledge can go a long way. I met a guy named Keefer from Wellsboro a couple years ago who claims to know trails as far as the eye can see. He's actually a funeral home director/owner in Wellsboro. I'm going to get in contact with him again to see if he can help.

I'd love to join you guys in Coudersport if I can get away for a day. If you can remember before you leave, drop me an email with directions and any contact info for the cabin: xrochester@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Jim

PS - I put together a 'best of' PA Grand Canyon page in a futile attempt to get some of my old riding buddies psyched up to ride: http://www.rochesternet.com/rides/dirtroads/
B DIRT
DAMN Poohba

Re: Coudersport PA DS weekend - Sept 4- 9th -UPDATED

Post by B DIRT »

Hey Jay thats close to home so maybe I might ride up that way next weekend :thumbup:
2002 XR650R (plated)
1990 TransAlp
2000 XR650R (trophy)
2002 CR125R
2009 Big Red
1977 CT90
2008 CRF230L (wifeys)
2003 XR650R (crackbabys)
1999 CR80R (crackbabys)
1972 XL250 (crackbabys)