I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

link to eastern National Forest dual sport and trail rides

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

link to eastern National Forest dual sport and trail rides

Post by mdubya »

This link will contain some valuable info!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343755
Last edited by mdubya on Wed May 21, 2008 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Re: link to eastern National Forest dual sport and trail rides

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Anyone we know get GPS tracks of those rides lead by Yanni? Those look KILLER. DAMN shame there isn't that kind of riding around here.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Anyone we know get GPS tracks of those rides lead by Yanni? Those look KILLER. DAMN shame there isn't that kind of riding around here.
Oops. I just read that Cannonshot won't be posting a GPS track from Yanni's ride. Louge may be on the receiving end of a GPS track from it though. BTW I posted the wrong link above. Here is the correct link and I will edit the original.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343755

Once RRob is healed up, we can start pushing into some WV dual sport and trail riding territory we have been meaning to investigate.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Color me there.

I'm still fighting with my dirt wheels. I'm having buyers remorse with the funky hub issues.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

What is the problem with the wheels?
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Me being impatient, mostly, and wanting to have a easy-to-swap set of dirt wheels. I want to be able to bolt the wheels on and go. That means both wheel sets need to have the same brakes.

I got all horned up about dirt riding, didn't investigate enough, pulled the trigger too quickly. I bought a set of Warp 9 wheels in 18/21. W9 caters primarily to the MX and west-coast dune riding crowd, and has only recently added a line of SuMo wheels. They sell compete bolt-on packages - everything is included - rotors, spacers, sprocket, bearings, etc. I thought, great, I'll get a SuMo disk on the front and life's good.

Since W9 doesn't do dual-sports much, they sell a "compatible" hub, rather than a "OEM-Equivalent" hub -- the front is a YZF (identical except for the speedo drive) and a KTM rear, which has the right axle, and sprocket-disk spacing. It uses KTM sprockets and disks, of course.

The problem is, I didn't realize that the rear rotor on the SM is bigger, as well. 240mm to be exact. Most dirt rotors are 210 or 220. So here's the rub: there are only 2 KTM models with a 240 rear. The 950 Adventure and the 990 Adventure. The OEM disk is $189, and the Braking brand disk is $150, but is out of stock. I already had to buy a $50 sprocket because W9 didn't carry a small enough tooth count for the DRZ.

So, I was considering downgrading the SuMo wheel set to the "S" rotor by purchasing a rotor and caliper hanger, but I realized that the S swing arm is different, and may not work, although I could probably MAKE it work. I was even looking at McMaster Carr for 420 stainless sheets to make my own rotor, but that shit's expensive, and I'd still need to have it blanchard ground flat & parallel.

The bitter irony of this is that about a week after I got the W9 wheels, Forrest at Wheeling Cycles starts advertising "OEM-Equivalent" bolt-on wheel sets for the SuMo, for about the same money. THAT would have been the way to go!!! Buyer's remorse sets in..... In retrospect, even lacing a set of rims onto beat to hell OEM wheels would have been a more-reasonable process.