I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

WV dual sport Saturday May 15th (new info, first post)

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

WV dual sport Saturday May 15th (new info, first post)

Post by mdubya »

This was my original proposed date for Code's Charity ride. It may still work out to be a charity ride, but it seems like more work than was ever expected needs to be done to pull that off. However, I still want to do the proposed ride, even if only as a shakedown for the bigger event in the future.

This ride will focus on as many dirt roads as possible with some significant Forest Service road mileage, maybe short stretches of ORV type riding, and possibly a hero section option or 2.

The plan is to be on my DRZ 400 using well worn DOT knobbies. What you decide to ride is up to you. You should be able to get by on 50/50 type tires. Big bikes should do fine too. There will be plenty of pavement involved, but it will be the narrow single lane or lane and a half variety, and they will typically be poorly paved so your knobbies and 50/50 tires will work well on these roads!

An ideal group size would be 5-10. However, if there is demand for a larger ride, I will absolutely accommodate that.

Start time will be 10 AM, weather permitting. Rain dates will be Sunday May 16th and Saturday May 22.

I can guarantee awesome scenery and awesome WV dirt roads. I am not publishing the route, but you can expect between 150 and 250 miles and an all day ride. The route will include several stops to top up with fuel, quench thirst, eat, etc.

The pace will be moderate and fun. This will be in contrast to the supermoto ride we did last fall where the pace was fast. My goal is to allow a broad spectrum of riders to enjoy this ride. While the pace may get "spirited" at times, no one will be expected to ride out of their comfort zone and no one will get left behind or lost.

That said: Be Prepared! Bring what you need and bring a bike in decent repair. If you aren't enjoying the ride, it will be easy to put you on a main road and point you towards comfort and home. The dirt roads can be muddy, can be rocky, can be rutted out. Be prepared and willing to ride that type of terrain. We did many of these roads on slick supermoto tires with plenty of mud last fall. It was challenging, but doable. With the knobby and 50/50 tires, it should be nothing short of fun.

If you are expecting a trail ride, this won't be one. Just fun dirt roads and lots of beautiful scenery.

Wet conditions will be acceptable (maybe even hoped for). Steady rain will be reason enough for a postponement.

Questions, comments, and concerns encouraged!!! :deal:

:ride: :roost: :ride: :whoop: :rickey: :roost: :rickey: :whoop: :rickey:

**Edit** to clarify, this ride will originate from Oakland, MD, either from my house or from a local gas station/convenience depending on group size. I will post my address and directions as the ride date gets nearer. For a general idea, I am located at the north end of Oakland and Route 219 is within sight of my driveway/front porch.

Coffee, donuts, etc will be provided the morning of the ride.

Directions and Address:

59 Hill Street
Oakland, MD 21550
c: 240.321.0801

directions from I-68, take Route 219 south approx 28 miles, through Deep Creek Lake area. Coming into Oakland you will hit your first traffic light at the north end of town (this is for turning into WalMart). The very next left turn (at the Taco Bell) is 4th Street. Turn left onto 4th Street. Go approx. .3333 of a mile. Turn left onto Hill Street. My house is the big green house straight ahead of you. Park in the driveway or along the shoulders of the road.

from Route 50 or other points south: take Route 219 north from Red House at Route 50. Follow Route 219 though downtown Oakland. At the north end of town, turn right onto 4th Street (@ Taco Bell). Go approx. .3333 of a mile. Turn left onto Hill Street. My house is the big green house straight ahead of you. Park in the driveway or along the shoulders of the road.

Attendees
  1. mdubya
  2. Kyler
  3. Bucho
  4. chasbo
  5. biffer99 & Mrs biffer
  6. JaxObsessed
  7. hondahawkrider
  8. dc_Minnesota
  9. Tymarp
  10. code
  11. Pa_trailrider
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
MAZMAN

Re: WV dual sport Saturday May 15th

Post by MAZMAN »

I'd be very interested in this ride. Can you give us a location for the starting point? Thanks.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

IN!

I'll drive over Friday night - I'll bring a sleeping bag and matress if all the spare bedrooms are spoken for
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

MAZMAN wrote:I'd be very interested in this ride. Can you give us a location for the starting point? Thanks.
Whoops, sorry 'bout that. The ride will originate in Oakland, MD, a few short miles north of the WV border, and the Monongahela National Forest. I will give more specific directions and my address as we get closer to the ride date. If we have a manageable number, we will stage from my house, coffee and donuts, etc, provided pre-ride. If we end up with a rather large group, I will call for the ride to meet at a local fill'er up, but will still have hospitality at my home for those who want to truck/trailer in (recommended).

I will also offer camping in my yard and floor space and use of facilities if anyone wants to come the might before or stay the night after. I can recommend local accommodations for anyone wanting or needing a hotel/motel.

I will edit my original post to include start location.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:IN!

I'll drive over Friday night - I'll bring a sleeping bag and matress if all the spare bedrooms are spoken for
I have a room for you. If you can bring a sleeping bag and pillow, it will help. If you like your own air mattress bring it. Otherwise I have one for you.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I'm in.

Hey, everybody. Mdubya generally puts together a really good ride, should be a good time. Lots of good riding out near him.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

plus if you are musically inclined, bring you instruments - mdub plays a mean guitar! :hi5:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:plus if you are musically inclined, bring you instruments - mdub plays a mean guitar! :hi5:
With this post Ken is requesting entertainment. :lol2:

:kumbaya:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

I am in. This sounds like a blast to me!
21783mike
DAMN Expert

Post by 21783mike »

If I can manage to get a set of 606's on the KLR by then I'm in.
Mike B
08 HYM1100S
08 Raptor 250 SE
06 800SS
87 750 Paso
89 KLR650A
65 H-D M50
64 125 Bronco