I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Timberline Racefest IX Saturday, June 7th

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Roadracer_Al

Re: Timberline Racefest IX Saturday, June 7th

Post by Roadracer_Al »

The course sounds exciting. You're right - it's strange to try to go fast downhill.

When I was running the 17" knobbies, I had the 13/41 (3.153:1 ratio) sprockets on, and it definitely ripped, but was pretty limited on top speed - it was literally bouncing off the rev limiter at 68 mph. I don't expect we'll go that fast, anyway.

The 18" rear is quite a bit larger diameter compared to the 17" (I haven't measured, but it looks about 2+" taller). I'm hoping that the 13/43 (3.307:1 ratio) gearing will work OK with the larger circumference. I can also run a 15/51 (3.400:1), but I'd need a new, longer chain. I'm about due, anyway.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Roadracer_Al wrote:The course sounds exciting. You're right - it's strange to try to go fast downhill.

When I was running the 17" knobbies, I had the 13/41 (3.153:1 ratio) sprockets on, and it definitely ripped, but was pretty limited on top speed - it was literally bouncing off the rev limiter at 68 mph. I don't expect we'll go that fast, anyway.

The 18" rear is quite a bit larger diameter compared to the 17" (I haven't measured, but it looks about 2+" taller). I'm hoping that the 13/43 (3.307:1 ratio) gearing will work OK with the larger circumference. I can also run a 15/51 (3.400:1), but I'd need a new, longer chain. I'm about due, anyway.
13/43 should be good. I doubt there will be much in the way of top speed at Timberline. I always ran 14/44 at Green Ridge (with dirt wheels). I ran 13/44 a few times and while it worked fine, I prefered the taller 14/44 at fast GR.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

What time are we meeting and where? I'll bring the truck in case I need to haul two basket case bikes out and/or spare body parts. Camcorder will be there to record the umbrella girls. :harhar:

How many cases of beer do I need to bring? :cheers:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:What time are we meeting and where? I'll bring the truck in case I need to haul two basket case bikes out and/or spare body parts. Camcorder will be there to record the umbrella girls. :harhar:

How many cases of beer do I need to bring? :cheers:

Whatever works for you as long as I get to Timberline around 8am on Saturday.

Do you have a tow hitch? You could swing by my place Friday morning, hook my pre-loaded trailer to your truck and away we go. Or ride your bike to my place and load onto my truck/trailer. Or truck to my place, throw your gear onto my truck and you can ride your KLR unemcumbered while I drive the truck. Just meet here on Friday and we'll figure the loading details out.

What do you want to do on Friday? Meet here early, ride my local roads and trails, load up and head west in the afternoon? Meet here early, head west immediately and then explore the dirt roads of Tucker County, WV? Meet here late and go straight to Mikes?

Mdubya, is still OK to crash at your place Friday night?
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

RRob wrote:Do you have a tow hitch? You could swing by my place Friday morning, hook my pre-loaded trailer to your truck and away we go. Or ride your bike to my place and load onto my truck/trailer. Or truck to my place, throw your gear onto my truck and you can ride your KLR unemcumbered while I drive the truck. Just meet here on Friday and we'll figure the loading details out.

What do you want to do on Friday? Meet here early, ride my local roads and trails, load up and head west in the afternoon? Meet here early, head west immediately and then explore the dirt roads of Tucker County, WV? Meet here late and go straight to Mikes?

I have a hitch - need to see if I still have a ball somewhere. If I can find it, I'll drag everything if you want.

I'm up to a ride Friday - I can load the pig in the truck and drive over.

PM me with your address and what time do you want me there Friday morning?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:
I have a hitch - need to see if I still have a ball somewhere. If I can find it, I'll drag everything if you want.

I'm up to a ride Friday - I can load the pig in the truck and drive over.

PM me with your address and what time do you want me there Friday morning?
I have a tow ball that will work.

PM sent. I'd like to leave early but whatever works for you is fine with me. Just tell what time you'll be here and I'll be ready to go.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

RRob wrote:
Yup! :thumbup:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

RRob, If you bring your Husky too, we can do a tour of Savage River Reservoir and some of Garrett County's finest roads. We could even drag Ken thru the ORV trail (easy) with the 7 water crossings. :twisted: Or what ever you guys want to do. We can discuss you riding the KTM too, if you wanna.... :brows:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

mdubya wrote:RRob, If you bring your Husky too, we can do a tour of Savage River Reservoir and some of Garrett County's finest roads. We could even drag Ken thru the ORV trail (easy) with the 7 water crossings. :twisted: Or what ever you guys want to do. We can discuss you riding the KTM too, if you wanna.... :brows:
That all sounds good to me. :loveit:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:RRob, If you bring your Husky too, we can do a tour of Savage River Reservoir and some of Garrett County's finest roads. We could even drag Ken thru the ORV trail (easy) with the 7 water crossings. :twisted: Or what ever you guys want to do. We can discuss you riding the KTM too, if you wanna.... :brows:
I may have to call Harold at Ridersville Cycle and pickup that 2008 TE250 I've been lusting after. This doesn't sound like a KLR ride... :dry:
Ken