I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Timberline Racefest IX Saturday, June 7th

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Timberline Racefest IX Saturday, June 7th

Post by Rut Row »

RRob wrote:
Roadracer_Al wrote:I sent an email into Koonz Promotions about the pre-registration process, it's not listed on their site.

I've always just registered the day of the race without issue. I think the organizers prefer it that way.

Al, are you definately in for the race? I hope so, that'll give me some motivation to heal faster. I'm 100% in for the trip, only 50% in for the race. I'll try to make a decision Monday evening.
Do we need more pit crew?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

DAMNKLRRider wrote:Do we need more pit crew?
The more the merrier! If its just the three of us, thats fine but if anyone else wants to come that would be great, too. It should be a fun day in the sun, watching races and enjoying scenic Timberline ski resort.

The most important thing is to have someone there that you know and trust to handle the
situation if something bad happens. Its not very smart to race far from home without a
partner to help load up the bike and gear in the event of an injury. Plus its just
reassuring to have someone in your corner. A thumbs up from the pits at the end of a tough lap is a good thing to have.

As far as actual pit crew duties during the race, its likely that I'll need to stop for
fuel. My CRF definately won't run the full two hours on one tankful. Even if I run the XRL,
it might be best to start the race with two gallons in the tank rather than four to lighten
up the bike for the challenging, technical terrain.

If conditions are muddy, the pit crew needs to ready with fresh gloves and goggles and
towels to clean off the controls. If there is a flat tire, be ready to help with the tube
change.

This is essentially an endurance race held on a technical seven mile course set up through
the woods and on the ski slopes. The goal is to complete as many laps as possible within the
two hours allotted. However, if the racer crosses the start/finish line at or before 1:59:59
they get to go around for one more lap. Input from the crew can help the rider squeeze in an
extra lap.

(For example, if I'm running 30:00 lap times and come through the pits on the way to the
start/finish line after lap 3 at 1:30:00, you might encourage me to put in a good lap. If I
complete lap 4 in less than 30:00, I get to do a lap 5. If I'm a little slow on lap 4 and
cross the start/finish at 2:00:01, my race is over. The difference between completing 5 laps
or 4 could mean 10-15 positions in the overall finishing order!)

Hee haw! This is gonna be fun!
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yes, I'm in for sure for the 7th.

I got the dirt wheels all finished today -- I spooned on the MT-21s. The front went right on, but the rear was a real PITA, mostly because of the rim lock, I think.

So, I assume I need numbers -- I'm guessing that since this is pretty low-key racing, there isn't going to be a big hassle about 6" black (and only black) numbers on yellow (if you're a novice) or white (if you're an expert) backgrounds... like road racing. I figure I'll just put light-colored numbers straight on the bodywork.

Yes, Rob, you're so right about the wisdom of racing with friends in case things go horribly wrong.

I'm figuring that this is just a fast trail ride with 400 of my friends. At least that's what I'm telling my wife. :grin:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Roadracer_Al wrote:
I'm figuring that this is just a fast trail ride with 400 of my friends. At least that's what I'm telling my wife. :grin:
The way your riding trips out here have been going, I am sure she is very reassured by that. :amazon:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Yeah, no kidding. Where's the crash n burn smiley?

I wonder if I can get one of those neck braces in time.......

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/EVS_RC_Evol ... _rcevo.htm
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

I was getting ready to go for a short ride and then BOOM!, a fucking thunderstorm pops up at 1030am. Crap...
Roadracer_Al wrote:Yes, I'm in for sure for the 7th.
:thumbup: f_ck yeah. I'm in too. I'm going to go ahead and prep the XRL for the race simply because it has a start button and my kick start foot needs all the help it can get. Should we leave our headlights, taillights, turn signals and license plates on the bikes? I probably will just because I'm lazy and the next race I plan on riding the CRF.

The pre-registration forms are up on http://www.koontzpromotions.com. I'm not going to pre-register unless we decide to camp at Timberline. There is a restaurant, bar, live band and just a cool "hanging out on the deck" scene at the Timberline Lodge on Friday night before the race and Saturday night after the race. Originally I had intended to camp, either at the race or nearby, but with Mike's generous offer, staying at his place makes the most sense. That scene is cool too. Thanks, Mike.

You don't need numbers. The only number that matters is the three-digit number and bar code sticker on the left chin bar of your helmet. They scan this at the start/finish line at the end of each lap.

"A fast trail ride with 400 of my friends". Well, almost. Last week there were 48 riders in the bike race and only 3 riders in the Senior (40&up) Open Class. Two of the Senior riders look to be very good as they were high up in the overall finishing order.

What class are thinking about signing up for? You can pretty much pick any class that fits your age. It makes a difference in where you start and of course who you are competing against for points. "A" line starts first, then "B", then "C". Sign up for Senior (40&up). You and I can duke it out for third place in class. Unless you're going for a straight-up, overall victory, then sign up for Pro/A Open and go for the holeshot! :bow:
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Great to see that you're so enthusiastic about the company. :cheers:

Good news about the numbers - one less thing to worry about.

Yeah, I'm 43, so it's the "Seniors" class for me. It'll be an epic battle for last-in-class. :screwy:

I just fab'd a bracket for my rear turn/tail signals so they come off with 2 bolts. I'll probably ditch the headlight and speedo -- no sense in risking the expensive bits -- but bring them in case there is a sudden urge to go D/S riding.
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

Roadracer_Al wrote:Great to see that you're so enthusiastic about the company. :cheers:
I am enthusiastic about the company. Cheers to you, sir. This is gonna be fun! :cheers:
Roadracer_Al wrote:Yeah, I'm 43, so it's the "Seniors" class for me. It'll be an epic battle for last-in-class.

Dude, a third place in class is nothing to sneeze at. A "podium finish" and a trophy would be a fantastic result. I'll be more than ecstatic if either one of us gets a trophy. Hell, I'll be happy if I finish mid-pack and am still running at the end of the race. The terrain is tough, nearly one third of the field didn't even finish the race back when I raced the four-wheeler. :deal:
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

I figure that since it's at a ski resort, it's going to involve lots of uphill and downhill sections. I do fine going uphill, but have fear issues going downhill. That'll be good practice.

I agree -- my main goal is to not hurt myself, and the secondary goal is to finish. Placement isn't really even on my radar at this point. Maybe I'll re-evaluate *that* on the starting line. :brows:

I was telling one of my wife's non-moto-type friends -- being a racer is a bit like being a junkie. You can't ever NOT be a junkie, and the best you can hope for is to be a non-using junkie. :nono: The question isn't "how long has it been since you've raced?", but " when is your next race?".
RRob
DAMN Expert

Post by RRob »

Roadracer_Al wrote:I figure that since it's at a ski resort, it's going to involve lots of uphill and downhill sections. I do fine going uphill, but have fear issues going downhill. That'll be good practice.
Yep. Each lap we'll gain and then lose about 1500 feet of elevation. The first third of the course we'll be going up and then the rest of the lap will take us more gradually back down. I don't recall any of the downhill sections as being too tough but it is a bit eerie trying to carry speed downhill. One of the most dramatic sections of the course, and a spectator favorite, is when we exit the woods midway up the mountain, go through a tricky little drainage gully and then take an immediate left hand turn straight up a double black diamond ski run called "The Drop". The climb is on smooth, open ground but nearly 400 yards long and extremely steep. I'm going to run my 13 tooth front sprocket for sure. How's the gearing on that motard? You still have time to get a smaller front sprocket if need be.