I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route- south- 3/27-3/29

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route - Trip 1

Post by Bucho »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:43 pm Tire choices are difficult for the Wee. Originally, I wanted to try a TKC80 front and Mitas E-07 rear, but I think I might go for the Anakee Wild tires front and rear instead. I like wet asphalt performance and most of the options that fit the Wee's front are not good performers on wet asphalt. The TKC80 is supposed to be good for that, but wears out quickly on the Wee at the same time. We'll see. I still might go with my original plan of TKC80/E-07 and deal with a worn out front tire as it happens.
I'm going to run my motard wheelset which still has a very worn set of TKC80s (trying to kill them). I think I'd be totally comfortable running regular street supermoto rubber but in all fairness my DR is a good bit lighter than your Strom.

With spring rain/melt a few spots could be a little muddy? The TKC80/E-07 would probably make you feel better about things. But you'd probably be fine on the Anakees
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I'm back to thinking TKC80 front E-07 rear. $60 cheaper and more aggressive...
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I edited the first post to add a list of Riders and Maybes.

Bruce, were you in? I wasn't sure
J? same question

This is cool, FOUR solid riders and a few more maybes! Honestly way more interest in a midweek ride/trip than I thought I would get.

Just thinking out loud about DAY 1. The transit down to Damascus VA will be the least fun part of the trip no doubt. While I don't think I will take I81 down the ENTIRE way, I will probably get on it at some point just to make time.
I might do something like take Route 17 right outside my neighborhood (Myersville MD), and follow that down to 340 through Harpers Ferry and keep following it south, at some point (maybe 211 over the mountain) over Route 11 in VA and at some point I81 all the way down to Marion VA (which isn't too far from Damascus VA.

We don't all need to start from the same point on Day 1. Anyone who wants to join me can.
We can meet for a 1-2pm lunch in Damascus and see how much we can do that afternoon.

And/or maybe we decide ahead of time where our first night's stay will be. The rest of group can meet us there that night or in the morning of Day 2.

Our second night's lodging I would prefer to do on the fly, so we can see how far we get that second day. And on Day 3 again we can see how far we get and when we need to we can all peel off and head for home.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Bucho wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 am I edited the first post to add a list of Riders and Maybes.

Bruce, were you in? I wasn't sure
:shrug: It'll be a late decision for me, leaning towards maybe not.
Bruce
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

I would like to go but don’t know when I’ll get my bike back together. Also will need to do some break in before I get on it & blast down the highway.

Late decision for mee too, doesn’t look good but maybe.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Thats cool guys. A late March snow storm and/or a cold snap could cancel this trip anyway...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Phil, or anyone:
If you wanted to trailer to my house in Berkeley Springs and unload there to ride south, I've got plenty of parking. It's a quick hop to get on 81 from my house for a sprint down the slap in under 5 hours, or it's easy enough to pick up 220 through the GW and Jefferson National Forests to parallel 81 for over half the ride down. 460 would get you the other half. Just a thought to save most people an hour or more of riding time if they wanted.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

juddspaintballs wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:13 pm Phil, or anyone:
If you wanted to trailer to my house in Berkeley Springs and unload there to ride south, I've got plenty of parking. It's a quick hop to get on 81 from my house for a sprint down the slap in under 5 hours, or it's easy enough to pick up 220 through the GW and Jefferson National Forests to parallel 81 for over half the ride down. 460 would get you the other half. Just a thought to save most people an hour or more of riding time if they wanted.
Hmm, I may take you up on that Jed and have it be our unofficial start. I'll have to look at the maps more, but that is probably closer to roughly where we will run out of time on day three. So would probably make the last day a little easier.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

I just looked at the route for the first time. I didn't realize it went by so close to home. That's mighty convenient...

I'm off the day before the official start. I can be ready to head down as early as you want the day of or even the day before if you want.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Where does one find the route? I didn't see it in this thread...
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.