I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

PA OHV action alert.

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: PA OHV action alert.

Post by Twist »

I got involved in a property development project for my kid's school that energized a political dust-up and got to experience what it was like to lobby at the local County and State level. What I learned from that is how effective it is to meet face to face with law makers and show them that you represent even a modestly sized voting block. Often times, these people made it in to office by just hundreds of votes margins. When you show up representing more people than that, they will listen to you and if convinced that you're doing something good they'll pay attention over the "boy who cried wolf" type environmentalist organizations.

I don't live in PA but if for those that do I'd encourage you to show up and lean in to this if the window is still open to change. Make up some buttons that represent two-wheel access to these state lands and get a people to show up at public comment opportunities wearing them. Sounds corny but I can tell you from first hand experience that when the room has more of your buttons on display than anyone else, they'll assume that behind every button is another few hundred voters that aren't there. Same thing with writing to your state and local representatives. When they get a flood of mail they'll multiply that times a few hundred and do the vote calculus and take notice.

It's also important to find out if there's an opposition voice in the fight and make sure you're going around behind them balancing the record face to face with your representatives. Obviously not everyone individually has to meet with them but there must be some organization you have there that can ask for a meeting where that person will be representing the thousands of motorcyclist affected by these laws.

All that takes some effort, usually by people who are out of their comfort zone doing it. But if you don't try then you know what the answer will be.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Someone from the MDOHVA just contacted me with a site issued email that didn't include a direct email address to respond. Try that again and give me enough info to get back in touch and I'll connect with you to see if I can be of any help.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Twist wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:32 am Someone from the MDOHVA just contacted me with a site issued email that didn't include a direct email address to respond. Try that again and give me enough info to get back in touch and I'll connect with you to see if I can be of any help.
it was me - ken@kyler.com
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

below is the link to DCNR's new proposal draft. Public comment accepted until june 25. Comments to be sent to Diane Kripas dkripas@pa.gov Read the proposal everyone is included except OHM. Everyone with a bike should be sending comments demanding inclusion of OHM. http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/p ... pdf#page=1
Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:25 pm below is the link to DCNR's new proposal draft. Public comment accepted until june 25. Comments to be sent to Diane Kripas dkripas@pa.gov Read the proposal everyone is included except OHM. Everyone with a bike should be sending comments demanding inclusion of OHM. http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/p ... pdf#page=1
do you have a proposed response?
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

The paohv folks are working on that. They are looking for riders to submit comments.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:55 pm The paohv folks are working on that. They are looking for riders to submit comments.
post it here, I'm sure you'll get a lot of DAMN submitters. :deal:
Ken
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Email link in above post...to DCNR rep who is taking public comment.

Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yes, but are there some specific points we should all be making? It's easy enough for me to say "let the bikers in" but I suspect that's not exactly what is desired:) Is there a coordinated message or key talking points we should all hit?
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Pa ohv thread in east regionals on Adv has good info.
Big issue is state law defines ohv as having three wheels or more. Legislation to change that has been initiated.
Bald eagle has moto trails, which apparently is some sort of grandfather clause thing.

Bruce