I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Frederick Watershed

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Frederick Watershed

Post by Bucho »

https://frederickwatershedtrails.files. ... t-plan.pdf

Looks like they may be closing/gating all the roads in the Watershed.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
YAMPOL
DAMN Wanabe

Re: Frederick Watershed

Post by YAMPOL »

Just another reason I live in Washington Co. (Born and raised in Frederick Co.) Next move will be even farther.
Retired and loving it!
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Please send correspondence to these people.

Friends of Rural Roads
Dear Friends and Supporters:
The Rural Roads Program is going through some major revisions. The Department of Public Works’ proposed revisions, we feel, would gut the program and remove the Roads Board from advising and supervising.
The proposed revisions can be seen at: https://www.frederickcountymd.gov/3084/Rural- Roads-Program
As you look over DPW’s proposed revisions, keep two things in mind. 1. Does this STRENGTHEN the Rural Roads Program? 2. Does this CLARIFY AND ENHANCE the Roads Board’s authority to oversee the Program?
The proposed revisions that DPW requests are for authority to pave portions of the gravel roads. They already have this limited authority. We would like the Roads Board to approve any such action. The consequences of paving will impact us all and include increased salt use, increased run-off, and increased driving speeds.
DPW would also like the authority to issue the petition to property owners. The Roads Board would only hear the petition after DPW had verified it. The Roads Board should be the ‘go to’ entity. They should recommend actions by DPW to address the problem, and, they should hand out the petition when needed.
Finally, DPW would like to have the authority to define a specific section of a gravel road as a viable removable (or includable) entity. We feel that only major sectioning should be allowed, such as entire gravel limits, and intersections between major highways.
Critical for the survival of these gravel roads is MAINTENANCE—prompt, thorough, knowledgeable maintenance, and upgrades and repairs that will keep the road gravel and in the program.
You are a staunch supporter of the Rural Roads Program. They preserve the rural, historical, and scenic qualities of Frederick County the way only a slow gravel road can. You have enjoyed these roads over the years. If we aren’t vigilant, they will disappear. Please send DPW an e-mail with your comments and copy the County Executive at:
RuralRoadsUpdate@frederickcountymd.gov jgardner@frederickcountymd.gov
The deadline for submitting comments is July 21, 2019. write an e-mail as well.
Thank you.
Susan Hanson for the Advisers, Friends of Rural Roads
Please send something ASAP and ask your friends to
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

bonehead wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:49 pm Please send correspondence to these people.

Friends of Rural Roads
Dear Friends and Supporters:
The Rural Roads Program is going through some major revisions. The Department of Public Works’ proposed revisions, we feel, would gut the program and remove the Roads Board from advising and supervising.
The proposed revisions can be seen at: https://www.frederickcountymd.gov/3084/Rural- Roads-Program
As you look over DPW’s proposed revisions, keep two things in mind. 1. Does this STRENGTHEN the Rural Roads Program? 2. Does this CLARIFY AND ENHANCE the Roads Board’s authority to oversee the Program?
The proposed revisions that DPW requests are for authority to pave portions of the gravel roads. They already have this limited authority. We would like the Roads Board to approve any such action. The consequences of paving will impact us all and include increased salt use, increased run-off, and increased driving speeds.
DPW would also like the authority to issue the petition to property owners. The Roads Board would only hear the petition after DPW had verified it. The Roads Board should be the ‘go to’ entity. They should recommend actions by DPW to address the problem, and, they should hand out the petition when needed.
Finally, DPW would like to have the authority to define a specific section of a gravel road as a viable removable (or includable) entity. We feel that only major sectioning should be allowed, such as entire gravel limits, and intersections between major highways.
Critical for the survival of these gravel roads is MAINTENANCE—prompt, thorough, knowledgeable maintenance, and upgrades and repairs that will keep the road gravel and in the program.
You are a staunch supporter of the Rural Roads Program. They preserve the rural, historical, and scenic qualities of Frederick County the way only a slow gravel road can. You have enjoyed these roads over the years. If we aren’t vigilant, they will disappear. Please send DPW an e-mail with your comments and copy the County Executive at:
RuralRoadsUpdate@frederickcountymd.gov jgardner@frederickcountymd.gov
The deadline for submitting comments is July 21, 2019. write an e-mail as well.
Thank you.
Susan Hanson for the Advisers, Friends of Rural Roads
Please send something ASAP and ask your friends to
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Thanks Mat!

Did you post this on ADV too?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

No I didn’t
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
oupa
DAMN n00b

Post by oupa »

FYI - On March 7, 1973 the first public condemnation of (motorcycle) trail riding in the "Frederick City Watershed" appeared in the News Post. The controversy had been brewing for weeks after a former councilman had supported a request by a group that wanted to hold "an endurance run" (assuming this was a trial) on the watershed. It became an ongoing controversy for most of a year before the city finally decided to ban ALL motorcycles from non-public roads.

I only mention this for background. This is something far from being a new issue. Like 1973 though, most of the "problems" undoubtedly stem from those who do what they want, whether it is allowed or not. The ultimate result being lawful users, willing to work within reasonable rules, end up losing along with the losers who created the problem... and those losers, continue to shirk the rules and give everyone a bad name. :huh:

Good luck, but I believe we're a smidgen east to see much success.
kluthage421
DAMN n00b

Post by kluthage421 »

Gates are open except the one in the NE corner where Gambrill Park Rd meets fishing creek road. I'm not sure why and this closure was within the last couple weeks and may be temporary. It's still bike passable.