I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

HOT! - Frederick County Noise Ordinance!!!

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: HOT! - Frederick County Noise Ordinance!!!

Post by Marylander »

Kyler wrote:The county attorney misled the commissioners slightly. She said the proposed law is identical to state law. It is not. The state law does mention ORVs (see .02.B.5) but they add a lot of restrictions to OHVs.
Ah, she got me with that and had me wondering a bit what we were doing there if it was already state law.

I should have brought some paper for notes as I only managed to remember to say a couple of my thoughts... I'll do better if I do this again.
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Thanks for all those who went. I was tied up with families health issues all evening.
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Update: Tomorrow, Tuesday 11/1/2016 is the final vote on the noise ordinance. During negotiations between Comm. Shreve's staff and the Sheriff, the Sheriff agreed to put a 10 minute average in his policy, and certify his operators and the devices per the manufacturers recommendation.

There isn't enough support from the other commissioners for more.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Ken,

Is a copy/link of the new version available?

Do you know if they removed the onerous part about having to have sign off for all land owners within 300' etc. for MCs and ATVs only?
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

amended bill is here and no, that was not removed.

https://www.frederickcountymd.gov/Docum ... iew/292803

meeting starts at 7 PM.

I cannot attend.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

The following is what I just sent to the one council member I know:

The reason I’m contacting you is that, as an off road motorcycle and ATV owner, I’m very concerned about, what appears to be discrimination against such vehicles in the pending legislation.

I was at the hearing on the bill around 9/20 and thought it was going to be redone to address this concern but what I’m told is the “new” version appears identical to the Sept. version?
Notes from meeting attached.

I’ve attached what I THINK is the “new” version for reference. link I hope https://www.frederickcountymd.gov/docum ... iew/293069

9/20/2016 Frederick County - Noise Ordinance Hearing Notes (Sam Jones)

1) All noise sources - except those obviously related to overall public good (police sirens, public events, etc., etc.) should be treated equally = without prejudice against a certain source, group of people, etc.

Section (E) (1) Singling out ONLY dirt bikes and ATVs, etc. by requiring PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION from all surrounding land owners within 300' is obviously unfair and should be removed. (In any area with normal sized lots this would require getting permission from several lot owners in all 4 directions which would usually be a dozen or more owners and it thus IMPOSSIBLE to get.)

This would make it illegal to even start a dirt bike to test it or load it on a trailer.

Section (E) (2) Singling out ONLY dirt bikes and ATVs, etc. by requiring them to "demonstrate (how?) that the operation of the vehicle at all of its operating speeds .... will not cause the noise levels set forth .... to be exceeded at the receiving property line" is also unfair and not clear how it can be accomplished? Thus it should also be removed.

2) Duration of noise is a key factor per the folks complaining at the meeting!

Thus giving Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps, etc. a much higher exemption seems weird?

(Their 70/75 dBA level 24 hrs a day is ~ 3 times the basic day residential level of 65 dBA and around 6 times the night level of 55 dBA) Every 3 dBA increase is ~ a doubling of the sound.

However things that are temporary -like demolition, construction, etc. - should probably have a higher limit (and/or a time/duration limit).

9/20/2016 Frederick County - Noise Ordinance Hearing Notes

All noise sources - except those obviously related to overall public good (police sirens, public events, etc., etc.) should be treated equally = without prejudice against a certain source, group of people, etc.

Section (E) (1) Singling out ONLY dirt bikes and ATVs, etc. by requiring PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION from all surrounding land owners within 300' is obviously unfair and should be removed. (In any area with normal sized lots this would require getting permission from several lot owners in all 4 directions which would usually be a dozen or more owners and it thus IMPOSSIBLE to get.)
This would make it illegal to even start a dirt bike to test it or load it on a trailer.

Section (E) (2) Singling out ONLY dirt bikes and ATVs, etc. by requiring them to "demonstrate (how?) that the operation of the vehicle at all of its operating speeds .... will not cause the noise levels set forth .... to be exceeded at the receiving property line" is also unfair and not clear how it can be accomplished? Thus it should also be removed.

Duration of noise is a key factor per the folks complaining at the meeting!

Thus giving Air Conditioners and Heat Pumps, etc. a much higher exemption seems weird?
(Their 70/75 dBA level 24 hrs a day is ~ 3 times the basic day residential level of 65 dBA and around 6 times the night level of 55 dBA) Every 3 dBA increase is ~ a doubling of the sound.

However things that are temporary -like demolition, construction, etc. - should probably have a higher limit (and/or a time/duration limit).
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike