I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Savage River State Forest.

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Savage River State Forest.

Post by Damage Inc. »

RM250Guy posted this on a thread i started over on TT.com.

I don't know if I can make it out there. I hope some of you can. We need to show the DNR that responsible riders do exist and we need a place to ride.

New Trail Open. Next Ride Day is the 17th.

DNR Announces Opportunity for ORV Trail Evaluation Rides in Savage River State Forest

The Department of Natural Resources will be holding ORV Trail Evaluation Rides on the proposed St. John’s Rock-Red Dog Road ORV Trail in Savage River State Forest on the following dates: November 17, December 15 and December 29.http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/orv.asp

Here's the latest, Thumpertalk! Paul Peditto, leading the ORV Program in the DNR, has opened St. John's Rock as a test to see if there's interest in doing it the new way (which is getting a green sticker, and registering each day to ride). It's FREE, but by registering for the day they know what bikes are coming in and out of there. Just an extra step - no biggie. Because the DNR hasn't done this in over 35 years, they are ASKING riders to come and evaluate their first trail (in Savage River SF). What I suggest is overwhelming them with numbers. Could you do that for me? I live in Central MD or else I'd ride there all weekend. I went on the first evaluation ride and it was fine 'cause we got to haul ass on the big straightaway (there may be a speed limit posted by now - how would I know).

Go to the Link. Register for the ride. Get your green sticker or whatever. Ride all day. Come back and let us know how it went (and let DNR know what you thought of the trail, too - that's really the point). I'm mostly focused on getting motocross tracks open a ways East of there so I'm not that in tune with the trail situation but I'll post more when I hear it. Ping Ken at DAMN Riders also!

Wind
The Motocross Council
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Savage River State Forest.

Post by Rut Row »

I encourage you to go but be prepared, it is a gravel road. But as you ride, think about side trails. The MD OHV Alliance has been working this with Paul for 2 years. Our end-state that we are working towards has wide-track (ATV width) trails through the forest.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

All gravel road? How long?

I'll have to check the calendar, but if I can make it out there, I'll do it no matter what it is just to show interest and numbers in spending money in the local economy.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

7 miles one way. Pretty boring. A few locals I know say you can hit 80 MPH and get some killer jumps off the water bars.

Make comments about what it could be if side trails are added.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

This is very close to Deep Creek Lake correct?
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

"The Trail Evaluation Rides are limited to 15 registered ORV vehicles each day, and will be accepted on a “first come, first serve” basis.
To register, a completed Trail Evaluation Volunteer form must be completed and submitted to the Savage River State Forest office at least five business days prior to the ride date - for example, to participate in the November 3 Trail Evaluation Ride, applications must be received by no later than Monday, October 29. Additionally, all ORV’s are required to be registered with a DNR ORV annual permit."

They say it's free, but you still need to purchase the old permit. If you don't have a valid permit (and no one does since they closed the trails) then you need to pay for one at $15.

It's a 4 hour drive from my house. Doubt if I can do it for a day trip. As much as I would like to see the trails.
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

I hope they sell out each time. That shows demand.
Ken