I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bad News in NJ

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Bad News in NJ

Post by Rut Row »

It just gets worse, eh?
Dear ECEA Club President,

You are all aware that enduros, as we know them in New Jersey’s State Forests, have come under fire from the regulatory bureaucrats and, under the current policies being implemented, our access will be restricted to certain fire cuts and sand roads only. Thanks to the tireless efforts of some of our members and clubs, we are not accepting these conditions without a fight. We have succeeded in capturing attention from the NJ Division of Parks and Forestry personnel and some legislators, but so far we have been unable to influence any substantial change in policy or regulation that will protect our sport.

In order to preserve our enduros, we must take further action. Unfortunately, time is not our ally, so we must act quickly and with impact to stop and reverse the unjust policies that are being thrust upon us. The following are five requested actions I am hoping you will share with your club members and support. Without participation from all of our member clubs, the fight will be lost.

1. Joe Springer has produced a compelling video that presents who we are, what we do, and why it is important to maintain our access to single track trail. This video has been presented to State Parks and Forestry personnel and has made an impact. The video can be viewed at the following link. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... gJhccUyVlo. Please pass this on to your membership and as many people as you can to ask them to view it.
2. We are in the process of establishing a legislative fund within the ECEA treasury. Unfortunately, in addition to time and commitment, we also need money to wage this war. I am asking that clubs donate as much as they reasonably can to our legislative fund in order to preserve our sport. Funds will be used for establishing a PAC to push legislation in our favor, and producing handouts and other supporting materials like the video in Item 1 for meetings with regulators and legislators.
3. Please assemble a list of any charitable contributions and acts that your club has made. Incorporating this information into our presentation materials will be very beneficial to our cause.
4. The following link shows a list and map of New Jersey’s legislative districts. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts/ ... umbers.asp One component of our strategy is to approach each legislator in the state with a common request, presentation, and materials. I am asking that each member club provide at least one volunteer to approach the legislators in the districts in which their members reside. After identifying ECEA members for each district, we will provide presentation materials and training so our theme is clearly and consistently stated.
5. I am also asking that each club utilizing a New Jersey State Forest in their event identify a project in their respective forest, solicit funding from the Recreational Trails Grants, and execute the project. The AMA will provide application procedures and guidelines for Trails Grants. A recurring theme from the regulatory officials has been a lack of funds. I believe it may help our cause if we provide funds and manpower for one of their projects.

I appreciate all of you considering these proposals and look forward to your participation to restore enduros to their deserved place on single track trail in New Jersey’s State Forests.

Please let me know any thoughts or suggestions you have regarding this matter.

Best regards,

Jamie
Jamie Theurkauf
President
East Coast Enduro Association
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Bad News in NJ

Post by Boom Boom »

This is bad news...
I am in such an overall pissed off mood about dirt riders getting the shaft this just helped push me over the edge. :salute:
I have nothing but negative comments on my mind and many political so I will bite my lip. :bull:
Ken you keep up the good fight in MD and I hope in short order we can use your example to show PA and NJ how things should be done. :thumbup:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Post by hondahawkrider »

Boom Boom wrote:This is bad news...
I am in such an overall pissed off mood about dirt riders getting the shaft this just helped push me over the edge. :salute:
I have nothing but negative comments on my mind and many political so I will bite my lip. :bull:
Ken you keep up the good fight in MD and I hope in short order we can use your example to show PA and NJ how things should be done. :thumbup:
I do a pine barrens car rallye with dad usually every year.. We didn't do it last year do to weather, lots of rain, and muddier that snot... The routes have gotten worse every year, the previous year, anyone who didn't have a skidplate or raised 4x4 had issues. Last year was worse, and its been cancelled for this year...

While I hate to lose any riding areas, its a mess... Per the rally board (no verification), the state has lost its budget to keep these roads in any kind of reasonable condition...
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

hondahawkrider wrote:
Boom Boom wrote:This is bad news...
I do a pine barrens car rallye with dad usually every year.. We didn't do it last year do to weather, lots of rain, and muddier that snot... The routes have gotten worse every year, the previous year, anyone who didn't have a skidplate or raised 4x4 had issues. Last year was worse, and its been cancelled for this year...

While I hate to lose any riding areas, its a mess... Per the rally board (no verification), the state has lost its budget to keep these roads in any kind of reasonable condition...

It seems like the NJ administration has recently become rather off-road rider unfriendly? Just wondered IF this change is due to the installation of a Republican administration a few years ago??? :amazon:
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I imagine a good bit of it is budget induced. However, look at the loss of revenue in MD (local) when GR was shut down. Obviously motorized off-roading does have more of an impact than horses or walking or riding bikes. Pick on the easy target. :shrug: Nobody cares, other than us, and we are too few the forestry guys to care.

I don't know, PA is big on ATVs and trails in the State Forests, but won't allow bikes, not even licensed DS bikes. I think Shade is the exception. I think the other part(s) are uniformed/misinformed and tunnel vision/group think at the DCNR and BOF.

Hey Mike, that reminds me, I'd like to get more involved and help out with your little trail work group deal. Can post up (or pm/email) a schedule or something. I work every other weekend, but I'd like to help out.
I can't bitch, if I don't do something to help.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

dirtygrunt wrote:I imagine a good bit of it is budget induced. However, look at the loss of revenue in MD (local) when GR was shut down. Obviously motorized off-roading does have more of an impact than horses or walking or riding bikes. Pick on the easy target. :shrug: Nobody cares, other than us, and we are too few the forestry guys to care.

I don't know, PA is big on ATVs and trails in the State Forests, but won't allow bikes, not even licensed DS bikes. I think Shade is the exception. I think the other part(s) are uniformed/misinformed and tunnel vision/group think at the DCNR and BOF.

Hey Mike, that reminds me, I'd like to get more involved and help out with your little trail work group deal. Can post up (or pm/email) a schedule or something. I work every other weekend, but I'd like to help out.

Bruce, one of my first things on the agenda being Trail Boss of Shade is to get the contact email list updated with those interested in helping. During the "closed period" we will be allowed to perform trail work but it must be pre registered with the state.
Shade is in overall decent shape, the 7-mountains loop will need far more work to be ready for the dual sport ride. I will be looking for guys wanting to help out in making sure the trails are ready for the dual sport ride.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Boom Boom wrote:
dirtygrunt wrote:I imagine a good bit of it is budget induced. However, look at the loss of revenue in MD (local) when GR was shut down. Obviously motorized off-roading does have more of an impact than horses or walking or riding bikes. Pick on the easy target. :shrug: Nobody cares, other than us, and we are too few the forestry guys to care.

Bruce, one of my first things on the agenda being Trail Boss of Shade is to get the contact email list updated with those interested in helping. During the "closed period" we will be allowed to perform trail work but it must be pre registered with the state.
Shade is in overall decent shape, the 7-mountains loop will need far more work to be ready for the dual sport ride. I will be looking for guys wanting to help out in making sure the trails are ready for the dual sport ride.
:thumbup:
Bruce