I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Shade / Bald Eagle (7-mountains)

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Shade / Bald Eagle (7-mountains)

Post by Boom Boom »

OHM & Dual Sport System Closure Period

This is the official wording handed down from the State Forest Department.
"The Shade Mountain Off-Highway Motorcycle (OHM) trails on State Forest lands are OPEN to motorcycles from the Friday before Memorial Day through the last full weekend in September (summer riding season) and from the day following the last day of the regular or extended antlerless deer season as established by the Game Commission through the following April 1 (winter season)"

OK guys, no more guessing when open or closed.
Shade and 7-mountains just got lumped into the same season as ATV use.
PaTRA and others worked hard to keep this from happening.
I was informed most of the complaints came from dirt bike riders calling up and and giving lip to the State Forest Officers about why they can't ride when they want and where does it say we can't ride. So now you have it.
NO RIDING DURING SPRING AND FALL HUNTING SEASONS....PERIOD.
This includes Sundays.....
To those that have helped on work days and put forth good faith effort to show the State Forrest Officers how much we are thankful for the riding area...I thank you. :bow:
For anyone that called the State Forest Office and gave them lip, thanks alot asshat :dirtdog:
As of last night I have officialy taken on the roll of "Trail Boss" for Shade Mountain.
Steve Bottiger has given many years of his service doing his best to keep Shade open for us to enjoy. He is handed his "Trail Boss" position to me and now will be acting as "Trail Boss" for the eastern sections of 7-mountains.
Trail work detail can still be performed during non-riding dates on Sundays and I will be organizing work details as needed.
Thank you
Mike Pool / Boom Boom
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Re: Shade / Bald Eagle (7-mountains)

Post by motojunky »

DAMN, I'm sorry to hear that. More sorry to hear about asshats giving the forest service a hard time.

Thanks for your efforts!
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

We did our best to keep it on the low down that we could ride year round.
The ATV folks have not been happy at all that we pay nothing and they pay for a license then we could ride whenever and they could only ride during the posted (non hunting) season.
That is over now and from the SF point of view I can not argue with what they done.
Everyone has the same riding season now.
I would just love to know who gave the SF lip.
The power of the net is a good thing but my guess is it was someone that found out about Shade from a forum, odds are they done nothing to help keep it open, then was the first to mouth off when they were told info they did not like.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

you ought to lobby to pay the same as the ATVs. Then you have rights and no one can complain.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Kyler wrote:you ought to lobby to pay the same as the ATVs. Then you have rights and no one can complain.
Oh that door has been kicked down many times.
PA is about as pig head stupid as they come.
We want to give them more money, just allow us to use the same land the ATV can use. Has been shot down and I don't see that changing anytime soon. :screwy:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Boom Boom wrote:
Kyler wrote:you ought to lobby to pay the same as the ATVs. Then you have rights and no one can complain.
Oh that door has been kicked down many times.
PA is about as pig head stupid as they come.
We want to give them more money, just allow us to use the same land the ATV can use. Has been shot down and I don't see that changing anytime soon. :screwy:
What reason do they give for rejecting this ideal? I would gladly pay to have equal access to the same trails. Seems very prejudicial to me....
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Sorry to hear it, Mike. Thanks for the hard work, and I also agree that I would be happy to pay the ATV fee if it meant I could go where ATVs go.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Denny
DAMN Expert

Post by Denny »

This is bad news and the way PaTRA was informed. The DCNR did not say a word and handed them the new Dual Sport Trail Map. Steve turned the map over and read the bad news.

As far as the ATV side of PaOHV goes, if the ATV crowd has made any complaints about Dirt Bikes. The complaint did not come from any PaOHV member. If anything the ATV community wanted the Dirt Bike riding schedule. Alleghenny ATV Club in Warren worked hard to open the ANF on Sundays through the month of October. This is another stunt from the head of recreation at the DCNR.

The Enduro clubs that use Pennsylvania State Forest are also under attack this year. The DCNR is requiring each club to produce 3 separate enduros by the end of the year. The each club will rotate through the 3 enduros from this year on. So the Michaux Enduro of 2013 will be the same in 2016. Say good bye to anything new after 2015.

So if you wish to complain to the DCNR now is the time. I would call the Secratary of the DCNR he hates calls.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Thanks Denny,
I knew about the enduro pick 3 routes thing, just thought I offered up enough bad news that I didn't need to add that to it.
Honestly I feel we can talk till blue in the face to DCNR. My father-in-law has made some decent connections to folks in higher places. I think it is time we come from that angle.
Need to be able to come up with hard numbers of 2-wheel riders that would pay to have use of the ATV trails. Unless it involves money no one will listen, offer up lost income to the state and we might have something to work from.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

man, I hope our string of good luck here in MD didn't jinx youse guys in PA :frustrated:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris