I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Shade / Bald Eagle (7-mountains)

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Re: Shade / Bald Eagle (7-mountains)

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:07 am
Twist wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:59 pm
Skinny-J wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:45 pm I have ridden both so I can offer that it just depends on what you are looking for. I was only at AOAA once. We couldn't find any single track. The place is really for quads and even jeeps. That's why I was only there once...

RAC has plenty of quad stuff as well, but there is also lots of good single track if you know where it is. RAC is also probably 50 times the size if you put all the different areas together. Plus, it's a lot more "informal" than AOAA, there is no office to check in to but also no real maps.

Just depends on what you like..
We actually found about a half-days worth of single track at AOAA this past fall and they claimed to be working on expanding that further. It was a bit hard to locate but we kept looking and stumbled in to it by taking some unmarked trails leaving the main marked trails. Some fun stuff in there.

I'll definitely want to check this out in the spring. No maps you say. Is there anyone with some GPS tracks of the place or even some hand drawn maps or directions to get to the good stuff?
Go on Facebook and like Del Val riders. This is the group that puts on the Dirty Santa plus now the Michaux dual sport. They ride FRO / RAC every weekend and some of the guys are locals. Probably the best way to learn what all is available to ride is hook up on a ride with some of those guys. One of the key members is a trials friend of mine and grew up local so knows everything. I hope to have him show me some of the better riding available.
Thanks for the advice! I'm looking forward to exploring those woods more extensively this spring.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Hertz
DAMN n00b

Post by Hertz »

PaTra website states dual sport riding has been “reclassified” as summer only. Doesn’t sound like the winter season will ever be back. My guess is we are only a few years away from no riding at all in bald eagle. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Also interested in some kind of maps for the reading area riding, specifically single track.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Hertz wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:10 pm PaTra website states dual sport riding has been “reclassified” as summer only. Doesn’t sound like the winter season will ever be back. My guess is we are only a few years away from no riding at all in bald eagle. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Also interested in some kind of maps for the reading area riding, specifically single track.
I hate to agree with you on this however I feel you may be correct.
I have spent endless hours cutting trail open and performing erosion control projects knowing full well that any change in power in Harrisburg and all our efforts will be wasted as they can change the rules as they feel. They can forest off the mountain in the name of $$$ all around a very active spring but now seem concerned somehow we will damage the solid rock trails. :frustrated:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Hertz
DAMN n00b

Post by Hertz »

Boom Boom wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:51 am
Hertz wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:10 pm PaTra website states dual sport riding has been “reclassified” as summer only. Doesn’t sound like the winter season will ever be back. My guess is we are only a few years away from no riding at all in bald eagle. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I have spent endless hours cutting trail open and performing erosion control projects knowing full well that any change in power in Harrisburg and all our efforts will be wasted as they can change the rules as they feel. They can forest off the mountain in the name of $$$ all around a very active spring but now seem concerned somehow we will damage the solid rock trails. :frustrated:
Indeed, it’s a shame. I called the DCNR office this morning To inquire whether the Shade Mountain OHM trails would also be closed for the winter seasons. I was told yes, both the Shade Mt. trail and the East Kettle ATV trails would only be open for in the summer seasons from now on.
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Hertz wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:27 am

Indeed, it’s a shame. I called the DCNR office this morning To inquire whether the Shade Mountain OHM trails would also be closed for the winter seasons. I was told yes, both the Shade Mt. trail and the East Kettle ATV trails would only be open for in the summer seasons from now on.

Does this winter closure also apply to all the motorcycle single track trails found back in off Sand Mountain Road in Bald Eagle?
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Twist wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:53 am
Hertz wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:27 am

Does this winter closure also apply to all the motorcycle single track trails found back in off Sand Mountain Road in Bald Eagle?
Yes.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Been some chatter on Adv rider re PADCNR. Regional flugistan forum. Local guy is on the PAOHV board.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Does anyone know when these trails close for the season? I'm looking for a good 2 - 3 day dual sport ride next week during the week.
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

All closed now till late spring opening
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
mantakos
DAMN n00b

Post by mantakos »

Anybody ride at Bald Eagle State Forest outside of the summer season? What's still open to ride then?

The Bald Eagle dual sport map shows forest roads, driveable trails, double track trails, single track trails, etc. I notice that the MABDR routes through this area on paths the Bald Eagle map labels as "Dual Sport on Forest Road" (solid purple) and "Dual Sport on Driveable Trail" (solid purple with dashed lines), so I assume those are still open outside the summer season.

So what does "closed" mean? No "Dual Sport Double Track Trail" (double-dashed purple) and no "Dual Sport Single Track Trail" (single dashed purple)?